Speculation: Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich)

FamousHolteUnion

Ipswich keen to keep Aaron Cresswell after Villa interest

Ipswich boss Paul Jewell wants to keep defender Aaron Cresswell at the club despite reports that Aston Villa want to sign him.

Jewell admitted there had been an enquiry from the Premier League club about the 22-year-old's availability.

"The club have had contact, not through the manager, asking what his situation is," Jewell told BBC Radio Suffolk.

"The situation is that we want to keep him, we don't want to sell our best players."

He added: "We don't want to sell Cressy. We bought him, we developed him and I've told him that if we get an offer that we have to consider, then we'll consider it but we don't encourage any offers."

Jewell revealed that his assistant Chris Hutchings called Villa boss Paul Lambert on the telephone on Tuesday about a player Town are interested in, but Lambert had not spoken about Cresswell, who joined Ipswich from Tranmere 12 months ago and made 46 appearances last season.

“I don't hide the fact that we want another forward - and at least two other players in the squad”

Paul Jewell on the possibility of signing Emile Heskey

"Chris spoke to Paul Lambert on Tuesday to ask about a player who used to play for a club that I used to manage and he never mentioned Aaron Cresswell, which I found strange," he said.

Meanwhile, Jewell refused to be drawn on reports that Ipswich are one of the clubs to have spoken to former England striker Emile Heskey, who is a free agent following his release by Villa at the end of last season.

"I've spoken to a number of players and agents over the summer and I don't hide the fact that we want another forward - and at least two other players in the squad.

"Sometimes conversations, whether it's with Emile Heskey or whether it's with someone else - until there's something definite, they'll always remain private," he added.

Ipswich continued their pre-season build-up with a 2-0 win over Cambridge United on Tuesday evening.

And midfielder Massimo Luongo, 19, made his debut after joining the club from Tottenham on a season-long loan.

"I thought Massimo was outstanding for us," Jewell told the club's website.

"He looks a good footballer. There is that touch of quality about him."

http://tinyurl.com/c8r2yon

So is that Jewel enquiring about N'Zogbia ?

Hardly subtle, almost tapping up I'd say

I thouht that myself but later on it talks about Heskey so I am not sure.

Yeah thats why I quickly deleted my post, I'd forgotten the Lump played at Wigan under Jewell for a season

EDIT: Then again why would they phone PL to enquire about Heskey? Heskey was never managed by PL

I think thats lost in translation - the ipswich paper said that Hutchens asked Lambert about a player at a club that "Lambert" used to manage......... so i read that as theyre interested in a Livingston, Wycombe, Colchester or Norwich player !!

Could also be one of our youngsters on loan? If they want another forward, Delfouneso could do well down there or sending one of Johnson, Carruthers, Graham or Grealish down maybe? All could do with the game time, although I would hope to see Carruthers getting some first team time this season.

Also could be a bit early for Graham or Grealish but I also wouldnt mind seeing them in the first team in 13/14 so a loan could be good for them now.

It's obviously Heskey. Jewell managed Wigan, Heskey played for Wigan... Paul Lambert would have met him at Villa or knew of his situation at least...Heskey is now free and they probs wanted confirmation, or an idea how much he was earning etc etc...perhaps after a reference from one of the other coaches... :)

It's obviously Heskey. Jewell managed Wigan, Heskey played for Wigan... Paul Lambert would have net him at Villa or knew of his situation at least...Heskey is now free and they probs wanted confirmation, or an idea how much he was earning etc etc...

It is SO obviously not Heskey it is untrue!

Lambert never managed Heskey, Jewel has managed him so why on earth would he ask Lambert about him?

Besides the article quotes Jewel saying that it is a player Lambert formerly managed!!!

Anyway why are people even talking about this? Who cares who Ipswich are interested in???

It's obviously Heskey. Jewell managed Wigan, Heskey played for Wigan... Paul Lambert would have net him at Villa or knew of his situation at least...Heskey is now free and they probs wanted confirmation, or an idea how much he was earning etc etc...

Lambert never managed Heskey, Jewel has managed him so why on earth would he ask Lambert about him?

Besides the article quotes Jewel saying that it is a player Lambert formerly managed!!!

Anyway why are people even talking about this? Who cares who Ipswich are interested in???

No, it is a player that Jewell used to manage:

Paul Jewell"]Chris spoke to Paul Lambert on Tuesday to ask about a player who used to play for a club that I [PAUL JEWELL] used to manage and he never mentioned Aaron Cresswell, which I found strange.

But quite right, it is beside the point.

Now let's sign Cressie.

He's talking to him to get the low down of his situation and stuff!

Read this paragraph again and point out where it says it is a player Lambert used to manged for me....

PJ -"Chris spoke to Paul Lambert on Tuesday to ask about a player who used to play for a club that I used to manage and he never mentioned Aaron Cresswell, which I found strange," he said.

....but I agree who cares what's happening with him.

No, it is a player that Jewell used to manage:

Actually no it isn't and that quote you provided, wherever it came from is incorrect.

Chris Hutchings (Town assistant boss) spoke to Paul Lambert (Villa boss) yesterday because they are good pals and I asked him to ask about a player who used to play for a club he used to manage.

Here

Â