Speculation: Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich)

FamousHolteUnion

I'm not as sold on Clark as many are, to be honest. Yes, he's got a nice touch and can do a Cryuff turn, but I don't really care about that for a CB. I think he's quite weak, a bit slow, and has a lot of learning to do at this level.

Dunne, we all know how bad (and good) he can be, so at this stage I'd say he's got to be in the starting XI.... perhaps not ideal but let's hope Lambert can get him back to his best.

And Cresswell, I've never seen him play that I can remember. Although he seems to be highly rated, and he can't be worse than Warnock. Also seems like Stevens hasn't gotten anywhere near the first team (despite the lack of competition for the place), so may have to be written off as another Eck dud.

I suppose whatever happens we're going to have a new look back four come 18/8, and I imagine it's going to be pretty nervy for the most part. What I would say is I think we should be looking at a new CB (Vlaar seems to have all-but fallen through), a new LB (hopefully Cresswell) and potentially another RB - although let's hope Lowton can do enough to secure that spot.

I think this season is Clark's time to progress, looking at some footage in the games in the States he seems to have got a bit bulkier? I think the fact he's playing regularly in pre-season means he'll be in the first XI this season with Dunne or significant other CB.

Much of the problem with our weak defence last season was due to both Dunne and Collins playing as I feel both players are too alike and often seem to get in each others way and of course Warnock who had a terrible season.

Cresswell from the talk i've seen regarding him is a ball player and comfortable in possession. Lichaj too is a neat, tidy and rather quick player.

Also and let's not forget KEA and his role to play as ball-winning, defensive and possession minded player and is the type Villa have lacked in quite some time. In a sense KEA could well signify a change in the defence and it's mentality as a result of his style. Hopefully :!: :idea:

OT but Ashley Cole is still the best left back in the world with Alba a close 2nd IMO.

Yeah can't argue with you there, but I would still take Alba in my team ahead of Cole.. Just personal Preference I guess.

Alba's around 9 years younger!

Evra was the best around once but he seems to have lost it defensively in recent years

OT but Ashley Cole is still the best left back in the world with Alba a close 2nd IMO.

Yeah can't argue with you there, but I would still take Alba in my team ahead of Cole.. Just personal Preference I guess.

Alba's around 9 years younger!

Evra was the best around once but he seems to have lost it defensively in recent years

Evra has never been as good as Cole imo. 1 good season against a career of good seasons.

Off topic but Evra cost around the same as Warnock. Clichy cost alot less in both deals. Not sure how much the Spurs left back cost but i dont think it was too much. Hell United even got Vidic for the price we paid for Dunne.

It boggles the mind.

Evra cost Man U 6 million. Vidic was 8.5 million.We could go on, Sagna 4.5 million, Zabeleta 7.5, Naughton AND Walker 8 million.

Then you have the big money fullbacks! Enrique 10 million, Bosingwa 12 million, Del Hornio 9 million (I think), Cole 16 million.

Â