Speculation: Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich)

FamousHolteUnion

We probably need to sell someone first :lol:, we are on sell to buy afterall!

I'm not sure we have a hard rigid sell to buy policy, I think it is more like that the powers that be, don't want a buying "run away train" and are trying to keep a semblance of order in to the selling v buying.

When you have too much stock and want to liquidate it, that want can start to get desperate and a "fire sale" ensues.

I think they are just trying to be prudent.

• 3 weeks later...
AARON Cresswell remains high on Villa’s list of left-back targets – but Paul Lambert has shrugged off talk of Richard Dunne leaving before next week’s transfer deadline.

Lambert admits the Ipswich defender is still among several full-backs he is considering as unwanted Stephen Warnock is pushed closer to the exit door. But the boss has dismissed rumours linking Dunne with a move to Stoke, confirming Villa have not heard from the Potters or any other club about the injured centre-half.

Asked about Cresswell, about whom Villa made an initial enquiry last month, Lambert replied: “There’s a few (left-backs) out there, I’d be interested in. I can’t talk about anybody else’s players, but there’s a few. Cresswell? He’s one of many I’m looking at.”

Lambert confirmed Warnock has been excluded from training with the first-team squad as Villa try to find a taker for the 30-year-old defender as he enters the final year of his contract.

But the manager insisted neither he nor fellow full-back outcast Alan Hutton were beyond redemption if they do not find new clubs before next Friday’s transfer deadline.

“Stephen’s been all right, he’s been fine,” said Lambert.

“I’ve got to work with lads that are young and I’ve got to get them into my way of thinking as well. The squad will evolve – that’s normal in football.

“You never say never on anything, I’ve just made a decision I think is right for the club.”

Reports in the English and Irish press have claimed Stoke are closing in on a deal for Dunne, who is out injured until mid-September as he recovers from groin surgery.

But Lambert expects Dunne to be available for Villa once he completes his rehab and says he has never considered selling the experienced defender.

“I haven’t heard anything,” said Lambert. “He just came back off the Euros and played a couple of games and got injured, so he’s doing his rehab at the moment.

“My main concern is the game against Everton. I haven’t even thought about anything like selling Richard.

“Richard has been very good. He’s had a brilliant career for club and for his national team. He’s been really fine. I remember seeing the shoulder thing, that was a blow to the team and he came back for the last couple of games.”

Lambert, who also ended surprise speculation linking Villa with moves for Tottenham’s Jermain Defoe and Stoke’s Kenwyne Jones, is still on the lookout for players to bolster his squad in the next week.

“I don’t think you ever stop looking to improve everywhere,” he said.

“We’ve only had one game, so we’re still finding our feet of what the team’s like. But in time players might come in so that’s what we’ll have to look at.

“Do I expect signings? I don’t know. I know what can happen, it can go right up to the last minute so we’ll just have to wait and see.’’

Asked if any incoming business was subject to players leaving, Lambert added: “If someone becomes available and I think it’s worthwhile then we’ll have that conversation.

“I’m pretty sure the chairman would listen to any ideas I have. I’ve had good conversations with him and there’s not a problem.

“Randy Lerner’s been great, him and Paul Faulkner. They’ve been really, really fine.”

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/08/25/aston-villa-paul-lambert-admits-ipswich-s-aaron-creswell-is-still-among-the-left-backs-on-villa-s-radar-97319-31694353/2/#ixzz24XdZWbSg

Certainly a more positive interview from Mr Lambert. Sounds like a LB is pretty certain, maybe another. I think we need 2 more in as a minimum.
Two more as well as striker and lb?

Certainly a more positive interview from Mr Lambert. Sounds like a LB is pretty certain, maybe another. I think we need 2 more in as a minimum.

No, it was a slightly ambiguous post, I apologise. A LB is essential and a forward (probably a striker, maybe a winger) is almost essential.

Although we could really do with another couple in too IMO, I think that's a little optimistic at this stage. If the 2 we do bring in are of good quality then I think we can look back at reasonably satisfactory summer under the circumstances.

No, it was a slightly ambiguous post, I apologise. A LB is essential and a forward (probably a striker, maybe a winger) is almost essential.

Although we could really do with another couple in too IMO, I think that's a little optimistic at this stage. If the 2 we do bring in are of good quality then I think we can look back at reasonably satisfactory summer under the circumstances.

This. Those two positions are essential to fill, IMO. I think five new players would be great, but unlikely. 2 or 3 more in. Seems like Lambert is fine with Lerner and Faulkner.

Â