Speculation: Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich)

FamousHolteUnion

Never seen him play, £3.5m is very pricey as per usual with any English talent., but who knows if he turns out to be as half as good as someone like Baines I'd be happy. What is important is that we make the right signings at both fullback positions though, as based on pre-season Lambert is putting big emphasis on them pushing forward when attacking.

I made this comment earlier about a compact midfield with overlapping fullbakcs. Seems even more likely to me if this transfer comes off.

Would be pretty happy if we lined up defensive wise like this v West Ham:

-----------------Given

----------Clark---------Dunne/NewCB

Lowton/Lichaj------------------------Cresswell

Christ, really?

What's wrong with that? Cresswell Imo is more solid than Warnock, Lichaj is a good full back and Either Dunne or a new CB would be good next to clark...

No PL experience and bought from lower leagues in recent times:

Gareth bale

Theo Walcott

Alex oxlade-chamberlain

Heaven forbid we should end up with such players!

Kyle Walker..

Yes, of course. And whilst we're at it Naughton as well.

There's plenty, fact is that proven PL experience means nothing, whether they come from Rochdale or Real Madrid it's all about performance.

-----------------Given

Christ, really?

I'd prefer

Hart

Alves Ramos Pique Cole

but lets be realistic hey Juan Pablo. What are our options? Who would you sign or play?

-----------------Given

Christ, really?

What's wrong with that? Cresswell Imo is more solid than Warnock, Lichaj is a good full back and Either Dunne or a new CB would be good next to clark...

I suppose it depends on how you define 'happy' :P

I like Lichaj but I thought he was supposed to be more comfortable at LB (despite being right-footed), as it's where he's seemed to play the most over the last year? I can't remember him playing RB too much, but I think he's probably a better option than Lowton anyway at this stage given their respective experience. Still, think we could do with another RB assuming we sell Hutton and others.

I'm not as sold on Clark as many are, to be honest. Yes, he's got a nice touch and can do a Cryuff turn, but I don't really care about that for a CB. I think he's quite weak, a bit slow, and has a lot of learning to do at this level.

Dunne, we all know how bad (and good) he can be, so at this stage I'd say he's got to be in the starting XI.... perhaps not ideal but let's hope Lambert can get him back to his best.

And Cresswell, I've never seen him play that I can remember. Although he seems to be highly rated, and he can't be worse than Warnock. Also seems like Stevens hasn't gotten anywhere near the first team (despite the lack of competition for the place), so may have to be written off as another Eck dud.

I suppose whatever happens we're going to have a new look back four come 18/8, and I imagine it's going to be pretty nervy for the most part. What I would say is I think we should be looking at a new CB (Vlaar seems to have all-but fallen through), a new LB (hopefully Cresswell) and potentially another RB - although let's hope Lowton can do enough to secure that spot.

This is exactly the sort of player I hoped Lambert would be able to identify and bring forward from the lower leagues to show what they can do in the prem. Villa have been missing out in this area for a few years. Of course Ipswich will try to extract the best fee they can for him but £6m is fairly bonkers. I guess their main strategy would be to generate an auction amongst premier league clubs.

Never seen this lad play to be honest.

But i like this transfer strategy, it used to be the done thing to get players from the lower leagues, really looking forward to seeing how far lambert can take us with it.

There must be a lot of talent going begging in the lower leagues, why not try and nab some of it.

No PL experience and bought from lower leagues in recent times:

Gareth bale

Theo Walcott

Alex oxlade-chamberlain

Heaven forbid we should end up with such players!

It tool 2 - 3 years for Walcott and Bale to be considered starters.

We should be looking to bring in good young players from the lower league but we can't expect them to come straight into the team and be ready to be a first team starter in the PL.

Â