Speculation: Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich)

FamousHolteUnion

Aston Villa are ready to sign Ipswich's highly-rated left-back Aaron Cresswell in a surprise £3.5million raid.

New Villa boss Paul Lambert hopes to push through the move within 24 hours and bring Cresswell to the top flight just a year after the Tractor Boys plucked him away from League One football with Tranmere.

Cresswell, 22, impressed with his cultured left foot and cool displays for Ipswich last season while Lambert was in charge at their neighbours and arch-rivals Norwich.

Villa, tipped to sell experienced full-back Steven Warnock in the summer current window, are close to agreement on a fee for the youngster - who will leap at the Premier League chance.

Lambert has already shown bottle by buying Matty Lowton from League One's Sheffield United and Scouser Cresswell comes with a similar lower-league CV.

The Mirror

Wont be too long before SSN have an article either as their reporters are all over it on twitter.

EDIT: Here we go,

Sky Sports understands Aston Villa are targeting Ipswich Town defender Aaron Cresswell.

Aaron Cresswell: A target of Villa

The 22-year-old's impressive performances last season as he made 46 appearances in all competitions have brought him to the attention of new Villa boss Paul Lambert.

And as the Scot sets about remodelling the struggling squad he has inherited from Alex McLeish, Cresswell has emerged as a target.

The former Tranmere trainee only signed a new contract at Ipswich last October, which keeps him under terms at Portman Road until 2015, after initially arriving last July.

But Villa could be prepared to buy Cresswell out of the deal following his eye-catching displays in the Championship.

SSN

I hope these lower league players can make the step up. Still it looks likely Warnock is not part of Lamberts plans which is good to see.

This is a worry for me, we are yet to sign anyone with proven PL quality.

Lambert seems to have a good eye for talent and so far he hasn't done much wrong. Yes they haven't been tested in the Premier League but from what I've seen of El Ahmadi and Lowton they are strong players that will fit it well. If Cresswell is of that same strong build then I think he's a good one to bring in as well.

Warnock aint a scouser, from Lancashire I think.

Anyway, another player from out of the blue. Exciting, but who knows how good any of these players are?

He seemed to make similar signings at Norwich and make them work, so heres to hoping.

I hope these lower league players can make the step up. Still it looks likely Warnock is not part of Lamberts plans which is good to see.

Apparently MON did this for 5 years and look where it's left us. I wouldnt worry to much about the proven PL quality.

Eh.. N'Zogbia proved he could play in the Premier League, he's shit for us though. Warnock proved he could play in the Premier League, he's shit for us. All proven PL quality means to me is that they will be overpriced and as much of a risk as any other player. I'd rather line up against West Ham with a back four of Cresswell/Baker/Clark/Lowton than a back four of expensive apparently proven players. We've been burned too many times by expensive players who were good for a season or two, come to us and then suck.. I'm happy to try out the unproven method for a bit.

I quite like what Lambert is doing. He clearly has an eye for a player.

We've always talked about buying players from the lower leagues. Better than spunking £4.5m on the likes of Zat Knight, £5m on Steve Sidwell and £4.5m on Marlon Harewood etc.

Ipswich fans seem pretty gutted to be potentially losing him, so that's good enough for me. £3.5m is a no brainer.

I was thrilled when we signed Warnock for 8 mill. And although he was good for some time, he has been poor the last two seasons. I like the idea of buying young players cheap who demand less wages and who our manager knows very well.

Go for it!

Â