Stephen Ireland

omariqy

It was definitely an injury, no way he would of been replaced... he was the best player in the first half...

Regardless of what people think of Ireland, today showed that if lambert if to continue with this diamond formation, Ireland is an integral part of it.

-He is the link man between midfield and attack... there was simply none with him off

-he forces defenders to sit deeper to pick him up which takes a man out of their attacking options

-he makes clever runs in behind (like the one for bannans volley, holmans misplaced pass to him and the ball in from KEA he miscontrolled)

-Most importantly he harasses the opposition from a position very high up the pitch which makes it very hard for teams to settle on the ball and build from the back

-he trys passes others arn't afraid to try (nearly slipped bent through twice today, on another day these stick and its a goal.

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't excellent today, or even very good but he was the best we had out there, working hard for the team and I feel the role he plays for us, specifically in that formation is seriously under appreciated by a large percentage of the fans.

Agree with every word. Although it wasn't one of his best games today his absence second-half left a gaping hole in our midfield. His workrate, drive and passing ability are vitally important and I really fail to understand some of the criticism he comes in for on here.

He was comfortably the best player on the park in the first half. Unfortunately the squad lacks any kind of natural replacement for him and Westwood certainly wasn't a like for like replacement and understandably given his lack of experience at this level looked out of his depth.

It would be stretching it to say we wouldn't have lost had Ireland have played the second half but he was certainly a huge miss.

suspected broken arm.

He really worked hard today and was probably our best player until he went off, which isn't saying much. But I wish some of the morons on this board would bury the accusations of him being lazy and 'not good enough' and realise that in a squad of very average midfielders he is probably the best we have.

suspected broken arm.

He really worked hard today and was probably our best player until he went off, which isn't saying much. But I wish some of the morons on this board would bury the accusations of him being lazy and 'not good enough' and realise that in a squad of very average midfielders he is probably the best we have.

Totally agree. The second half emphasised his value to the team. Sadly i doubt the SI critics will be able to recognise or acknowledge the fact, instead they will salivate over Holman who gives 100% but is limited in ability.

Totally agree. Without him we looked disjointed and bereft of ideas. I know peoples opinions differ, but why he's become the whipping boy for a minority is beyond me. Call me old-fashioned, but we used to get behind the team.....ALL the team.......instead of trying to demoralize individual players.

Totally agree. Without him we looked disjointed and bereft of ideas. I know peoples opinions differ, but why he's become the whipping boy for a minority is beyond me. Call me old-fashioned, but we used to get behind the team.....ALL the team.......instead of trying to demoralize individual players.

I completely agree. Its sad really.

Agree that it's sad but it's been well over a decade since then at the very least - 'Useless de la Cruz' for example :?

Agree that it's sad but it's been well over a decade since then at the very least - 'Useless de la Cruz' for example :?

Or "Savo Miss-a-lot". It's been the case for as long as I have followed football.

It was definitely an injury, no way he would of been replaced... he was the best player in the first half...

Regardless of what people think of Ireland, today showed that if lambert if to continue with this diamond formation, Ireland is an integral part of it.

-He is the link man between midfield and attack... there was simply none with him off

-he forces defenders to sit deeper to pick him up which takes a man out of their attacking options

-he makes clever runs in behind (like the one for bannans volley, holmans misplaced pass to him and the ball in from KEA he miscontrolled)

-Most importantly he harasses the opposition from a position very high up the pitch which makes it very hard for teams to settle on the ball and build from the back

-he trys passes others arn't afraid to try (nearly slipped bent through twice today, on another day these stick and its a goal.

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't excellent today, or even very good but he was the best we had out there, working hard for the team and I feel the role he plays for us, specifically in that formation is seriously under appreciated by a large percentage of the fans.

Agree with this completely.

Ireland isn't great, but that AMC position is integral to the way we play. Without SOMEONE there, we really really struggle.

I said similar in the match thread. I didn't see the first half, but I'm not surprised it all went to shit when we didn't have someone playing in that link position.

Â