Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want Andy Carroll or his like....it encourages " hoof Ball" and I want to see the passing game return to our park.

Its not passing for passing sake that I like to see because that can be as boring....Its passing with purpose and effect.

I don't agree at all. If you have a target man, it gives you an extra dimension up front and a different way of attacking - it doesn't mean that you're going to hoof it up front and not pass the ball or build up the play, it just means that when you're in the final third you have an aerial threat as well as on the ground. There's nothing wrong with players like that if they're used correctly and having different attacking options is a big benefit - if you're one dimensional then you're a lot easier to defend against. Even Wenger has realised this and bought Giroud.

as I said...."encourages"

I seem to recall John Carew saying on one occasion "I like to receive the ball on the floor, but I rarely do , they play the ball in the air to me"

which I am not used to.

I take your point in theory, but it rarely happens in practice.

You play a big man up front, you get the resulting style. I just happen to suspect that player may be a bit of a dinosaur in todays modern game.... as much as I admired them over the years.

PS For the older ones bumped in to Tony Hateley a little while ago , look in great fettle.

I don't want Andy Carroll or his like....it encourages " hoof Ball" and I want to see the passing game return to our park.

Its not passing for passing sake that I like to see because that can be as boring....Its passing with purpose and effect.

I don't agree at all. If you have a target man, it gives you an extra dimension up front and a different way of attacking - it doesn't mean that you're going to hoof it up front and not pass the ball or build up the play, it just means that when you're in the final third you have an aerial threat as well as on the ground. There's nothing wrong with players like that if they're used correctly and having different attacking options is a big benefit - if you're one dimensional then you're a lot easier to defend against. Even Wenger has realised this and bought Giroud.

Correct.

god no please dont come to villa

complete waste of a football jersey - a complete and utter donkey, good for nothing other than using as a battering ram.

He's a remnant fossil of an aspect of the game that no longer exists and for the benefit of the sport.

Graham Taylor MKI would have loved him but he's not a modern day footballer and never will be. Give me gabby over this guy every time

as I said...."encourages"

I seem to recall John Carew saying on one occasion "I like to receive the ball on the floor, but I rarely do , they play the ball in the air to me"

which I am not used to.

I take your point in theory, but it rarely happens in practice.

You play a big man up front, you get the resulting style. I just happen to suspect that player may be a bit of a dinosaur in todays modern game.... as much as I admired them over the years.

PS For the older ones bumped in to Tony Hateley a little while ago , look in great fettle.

I don't agree - did Norwich play hoofball with Holt up front last year?

bickster

Think logically and you'll see Newcastle aren't on his radar AT ALL

Because he wants to stay at Anfield?

No, for this reason, plus the obvious footballing ones

Looks like hes either going to stay put or move abroad then as I can't see a side in Europe this season wanting him, especially Newcastle

Why don't you think Newcastle are interested?

Regardless of any footballing reasons (of which there are quite a few) he has too much personal stuff hanging over him in Newcastle, if he needs a 24 hour guard outside his house in Liverpool because of it, the threat is clearly still there. Moving back to Newcastle is only going to amplify that tenfold and also lead him back into the drinking culture he seems to have left behind.

Ian Dennis of BBC Radio5 Live is saying much of the same thing. Reporting a £2 million loan deal for this season and a further £17 million for a permanent transfer if West Ham stay up.