Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

I'm not sure anybody is saying it's very likely. Just that there's no reason to think its a non starter.

I've already said Newcastle would seem the most likely destination but there are reasons why he may choose us over Newcastle. How do you know what we'll offer compared to them? This isnt Freddy Shepherd's money is no issue Newcastle. They're doing things on a budget (and doing it well).

There is also the possibility he won't get the choice. Newcastle would have to meet Liverpool's terms and at least match our offer and we've got a £8m dog in the fight already.

The way I look at it is this: We definitely nosed around Luuk de Jong and we must have known he'd be at least £10m. So if you also factor in the money Liverpool owe us the transfer fee is possible. Depending on who we get rid of, the wages are also possible.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would we be willing to give up £8m like it is nothing?

Liverpool are supposed to be paying us that 8m this window. I am sure the bean counters at Villa park were eagerly awaiting it coming into the accounts and had planned all their budgets for the summer with the £8m in our hands. Why are they suddenly going to be willing to write it off?

Because we need a striker. Just like we did when we signed Bent.

It's not writing £8m off, it's reinvesting it in something we need. The squad needs strengthening and the bean counters will know that too.

Could better value be found elsewhere? Probably. But we know our manager rates this one and considering his profile it could make sense at £15-£17m to get him.

I think Randy will back him if the salary numbers can work.

Who knows what Lambert is saying? If he went to Randy and said "this guy could be the difference between 10th and 6th" it might make the difference. Randy will also be aware of the impact major signings can have comercially.

Why would we be willing to give up £8m like it is nothing?

Liverpool are supposed to be paying us that 8m this window. I am sure the bean counters at Villa park were eagerly awaiting it coming into the accounts and had planned all their budgets for the summer with the £8m in our hands. Why are they suddenly going to be willing to write it off?

In defence of Mazrim, who may be on acid (he he), The 8 million could surely be written off just the same as any amount of money spent on a new signing, if they're worth the money.

I agree that the 8 million may be well invested in a striker but then it makes no difference which player we are talking about. Liverpool owing us 8m (if they haven't already paid it by now) doesn't make it any more likely that we will sign Carroll.

But if we're interested in Carroll (and clearly Lambert is) then essentially we've already paid £8m for him.

It's not Earth shattering but it's something. There may also be tax issues, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Looking at Lamberts team from last season I would say he would be looking for a target man as that is the one area that we don't have any options at the moment. PL likes to change tactics in games and to have the option of a target man would add something to our team. I'm not ruling out Carroll coming to VP. I'm sure we could get someone equally as good for less but if our manager wants him to boost out attacking options I won't complain.

To be fair 3 first team strikers of Bent, Gabby & Carroll would be simply awesome. Just looking solely at a creating chances point of view. If you had him in the box the amount of headers he could knock back to DB for simple tap ins, and the knock ons out the field that would leave gabby in a race with a defender would mean a lot of goals. That being said, it is quiet obvious that Lambert is focusing on a possession game and keeping the ball on the floor, while I do think Carroll is imense, he does not suit this system, as Brendan Rodgers has stated and therefore I dont think we'll be seeing him in a Villa shirt anytime soon.

Because we need a striker. Just like we did when we signed Bent.

It's not writing £8m off, it's reinvesting it in something we need. The squad needs strengthening and the bean counters will know that too.

Could better value be found elsewhere? Probably. But we know our manager rates this one and considering his profile it could make sense at £15-£17m to get him.

I think Randy will back him if the salary numbers can work.

Who knows what Lambert is saying? If he went to Randy and said "this guy could be the difference between 10th and 6th" it might make the difference. Randy will also be aware of the impact major signings can have comercially.

True. If Carroll could score 15-20 goals a season for four years then £15m would be relatively cheap. He's young enough and has more ability than is given credit for (I thought he turned the cup final on its head when he came on). It may depend on what his advisors say - if I were them I'd tell him to steer clear of Newcastle so he doesn't go back to his old haunts. Then again we may not even be interested as nobody seems to have any idea who is on Lambert's wishlist.

Rhodes would be a much better option than Carroll. Would cost what? £5m-£7m? Think he'll be just as good as Carroll if not better aswell.

------------Given

Lowton-Vlaar-Clark-Cresswell

---------El Ahmadi

------Gardner-Bannan

-----------Ireland

-------Rhodes-Bent

has potential?

Mods any chance of a Poll on whether fans want him? I find it amazing that some fan's don't want us to sign him.
It's not so much that he's a bad player, but for the money he would cost and the wages he'd most likely be on it's just not worth it.

Mods any chance of a Poll on whether fans want him? I find it amazing that some fan's don't want us to sign him.
It's not so much that he's a bad player, but for the money he would cost and the wages he'd most likely be on it's just not worth it.

Considering there are other areas to strengthen then I guess you're right. But if on the off chance we do sign him then considering his ability and age I think he will be worth the money.