Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

Is it far to compare him to Per Mertesacker?

I think most expected him to be a disaster for Arsenal and yet he was reasonably solid for them apart from a disaster at Sunderland which was his final game of last season.

As long as you're physical and can head the ball you should be o.k in the prem against all but the top 5.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feyenoord could you advise how the recent dealings between the clubs have been portrayed? Has it been the case where it seems that both boards have conducted themselves well and have mutual respect for each other? If so was thinking perhaps there would be a chance for a link up between the clubs. I kknownthisnis normally done with clubs a lot smaller than yourselves, and I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards your club. Was just thinking with the lack of high end money in the Dutch league, it may be beneficial for both parties to have the link. You could have some of our youngsters on loan, and we could have first refusal on your players....or something along those lines

Are you sure you have the authority to negotiate this?

Yes I'm the love child of Randy Lerner and Nicky Keyes

So he doesn't have much pace??

We have two of those at centreback already and i had hoped Lambert would change that.

Concerned.

Well he's in the lead in the race above

Whats the obsession with pace for CB's?

Keown and Adams weren't exactly nippy where they?

What you need is players who can read the game well, if CBs have put themselves in a position where they need pace, they haven't been doing their jobs very well IMO.

The point i was trying to make was that i am sick and tired of seeing our centrebacks being run ragged by the better teams due to lack of pace or being turned too easily and i was hoping to see us sign a new centreback with pace as one of their attributes for a change.

Not surprised at all to see God, Adams and Keown mentioned but Collins and Dunne ignored.

Also Vlaar is considered to be a very good reader of the game, so if he was paired with say Clark who has a bit of pace and is also a good reader of the game you could play a slightly higher line than normal and get away with it. Also Vlaar is a good passer short and long, so our distribution should be good, and as he was school in Holland I expect to see him look to play the ball out, rather than Dunne and Collins recreations of the john smiths advert!

I think he could become a very good signing for us, but I expect he will need a few months to settle in and get used to the pace of the premier league.

Yes this is what I want to see eventually but I imagine we'd start the season with Dunne and Vlaar.

Is it far to compare him to Per Mertesacker?

I think most expected him to be a disaster for Arsenal and yet he was reasonably solid for them apart from a disaster at Sunderland which was his final game of last season.

As long as you're physical and can head the ball you should be o.k in the prem against all but the top 5.

Que what? I think everyone expected him to be a solid stopper but he turned out to be quite bad at times. Too slow and well clumsy, a really bad combination. He was not good last season at all.

From a Feyenoord fan:

Cool to see interest in Ron, he's the ultimate professional, works hard for the team and always gives 100%. He's physical dominating defender winning most headers. He has decent footballing capacities and is a great leader. He's currently going trough a rough time as co-international van der Wiel slept with his wife which led to Vlaar's divorce, so England is a new start for him.

He has to work on his concentration but I'm sure he'll do fine at Villa! He's made for English football.

So, it sounds really promising in all fairness. Sounds like a good player. Also, His missus will **** anything that walks so thats always nice to know...

So he doesn't have much pace??

We have two of those at centreback already and i had hoped Lambert would change that.

Concerned.

Well he's in the lead in the race above

:lol:

From a Feyenoord fan:

Cool to see interest in Ron, he's the ultimate professional, works hard for the team and always gives 100%. He's physical dominating defender winning most headers. He has decent footballing capacities and is a great leader. He's currently going trough a rough time as co-international van der Wiel slept with his wife which led to Vlaar's divorce, so England is a new start for him.

He has to work on his concentration but I'm sure he'll do fine at Villa! He's made for English football.

So, it sounds really promising in all fairness. Sounds like a good player. Also, His missus will **** anything that walks so thats always nice to know...

Did they both play in the dutch EC starting XI? Surely playing next to the guy who just banged your wife must affect your performance.

Heitinga wasn't great for Holland in the euros and yet he's solid enough for Everton most weeks if you use him as a guide.

We were linked with Vlaar years back possibly when he was at AZ.

Happy enough with him in if only to shake things up there as Collins and Dunne have had it easy there for far to long, the cnuts. I expect one of those to be moved on by the end of August if Vlaar comes.

I was going to mention Heitinga. A good premier league level defender who had a torrid time at the euros.

Feyenoord could you advise how the recent dealings between the clubs have been portrayed? Has it been the case where it seems that both boards have conducted themselves well and have mutual respect for each other? If so was thinking perhaps there would be a chance for a link up between the clubs. I kknownthisnis normally done with clubs a lot smaller than yourselves, and I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards your club. Was just thinking with the lack of high end money in the Dutch league, it may be beneficial for both parties to have the link. You could have some of our youngsters on loan, and we could have first refusal on your players....or something along those lines

I think the relationship between the Villa and Feyenoord board is very well. I haven't heard about anything suspicious or weird going on.

We also have good relationship with Man City. We loaned John Guidetti last season and we are getting Omar Elabdellaoui for this season.

Feyenoord will probably never reject any good loan player but he has to be better than what we have. I'm not sure if you have a player that is not good enough yet for Villa but is close to our first team. I also don't mean to be disrespectful but I think our first team is quite close in terms of quality but our youth academy is far far far superior to Villa's.

I also don't mean to be disrespectful but I think our first team is quite close in terms of quality but our youth academy is far far far superior to Villa's.

Big boast my friend.

I think our academy is up there with the best in the UK and, on the basis of last year's Next Gen series, the best in Europe. "far, far, far" may be stretching it!

I also don't mean to be disrespectful but I think our first team is quite close in terms of quality but our youth academy is far far far superior to Villa's.

Big boast my friend.

I think our academy is up there with the best in the UK and, on the basis of last year's Next Gen series, the best in Europe. "far, far, far" may be stretching it!

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts (Rafa Benitez style)

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

It's quite the contrast if you come up with Albrighton, Clark and Agbonlahor.

Big boast my friend.

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts.

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

It's quite the contrast if you come up with Albrighton, Clark and Agbonlahor.

But on the other hand, Ajax play in the NextGen series and Ajax is and always has been far superior to Feyenoord in all honesty.