Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Owen?

He is pretty famously a product of the Liverpool academy

Could of sworn i heard some mention of him being a schoolboy with us or something? :? Maybe i was mistaken?... Anyhow granted even if he was it's kind of not right to include him i guess....

So i will delete him from the post.

a "Worldie" if you include Owen

Several "Worldie"s if you include other notable players who were never part of Villa's youth set-up.

Of the current crop I'm particularly proud of Ronaldo and Messi, although I'm a little disappointed that Pirlo fella never quite reached his full potential compared to if he had stayed with us.

It actually wasn't Villaajax, but Ajax-fan who said, on page 12, I quote:

He is slow, not a great defender, not so good at football (like Vertonghen for example), one of the weakest link at the Dutch team this Euro 2012. He failed there and AZ in the early stage of his career. Do you know Loovens? He didn't make it make it in the premier league as well right? I rate Vlaar abit higher, but not much.

(end quote)

There something in there I completely disagree with and that, if Ajax-fan would know his history, he should remember to be incorrect.

When Vlaar was 19 or 20 and playing for AZ Alkmaar, he was doing very well and he was one of the most wanted young defenders, also attracting interest from the Premier League. Somebody said Villa at that time expressed interest, I don't know that much. I know Ajax very much wanted to sign him, and so did the Spurs.

I know the entire Dutch league was gobsmacked that Vlaar elected to move to Feyenoord.

Oh right, talking about his kids, somebody not entirely right in his head made a joke about Vlaar's ex-wife (his missues will do anything that walks or something like that).

Call yourself a Feyenoord-fan, mate? Shame on you, talking trash on your captain like that! Ron has gone through a difficult time in his private life. Let it remain private, you arsewipe.

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts (Rafa Benitez style)

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

It's quite the contrast if you come up with Albrighton, Clark and Agbonlahor.

Not to get in a heated argument or to baost one academy is indeed bigger than the other but allow me this question: how many Feyenoord academy graduates are currently playing in arguably one of the best leagues in the world?

Barry, Cahill, Sturridge, Agbonlahor, Clark, Albrighton, Weimann, Bannan, Herd, Craig and Gary Gardner to name just a few.