Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest danger; as always for Villa; is that we have brought Vlaar to the attention of teams he might deem as being more attractive and they end up coming in and gazumping us or just turning his head. That's why we need to seal it asap.

I love it, Ajax v Feyenoord on a Villa site. Only on VT, this why I love this site. :)

Horrific off-topicness though. Losing your touch Mods :)

:D It just makes a nice change from reading about what some attention seeking bedroom dweller has made up and posted on Twitter in between knocking one off into his sock and getting told to tidy his room by his mum.

I love it, Ajax v Feyenoord on a Villa site. Only on VT, this why I love this site. :)

:D It just makes a nice change from reading about what some attention seeking bedroom dweller has made up and posted on Twitter in between knocking one off into his sock and getting told to tidy his room by his mum.

Gaarrggh. I've been rumbled :)

The biggest danger; as always for Villa; is that we have brought Vlaar to the attention of teams he might deem as being more attractive and they end up coming in and gazumping us or just turning his head. That's why we need to seal it asap.

If that happens I propose a witch hunt for and the burning of the person responsible for the pictures of him at VP.

From potential fame at a scoop to being burned at the stake, its a fickle game this transfer malarkee.

You're right, although the real topic was Vlaar, it wasn't about his Villa move, which it should be about.

By the way, I'm counting on your support for F when it comes to this rivalry.

After all, you've enjoyed playing on our pitch in the past...

Shaw, Williams, prepared to venture down the left. There's a good ball in for Tony Morley. Oh, it must be and it is! It's Peter Withe.

Feyenoord: Adiyiah has been transferred for the gazillionth time, now to Arsenal Kyiv

Shaw, Williams, prepared to venture down the left. There's a good ball in for Tony Morley. Oh, it must be and it is! It's Peter Withe.

That's too easy. That's like Van Halen waiting until the end of the concert to play "Jump"! :)

You crowd pleaser you..

You're right, although the real topic was Vlaar, it wasn't about his Villa move, which it should be about.

Feyenoord: Adiyiah has been transferred for the gazillionth time, now to Arsenal Kyiv

:clap:

Ajax enjoy playing at De Kuip too, we've won a many a trophy there, including one of many European Cups as well as countless domestic games :)

Call me romantic, but I like historic ties. Feyenoord and Aston Villa have a lot in common. Not too much brass to show for, but to be reconed with from time to time.

If we look at the rate of winning championships over the last 40 years, title number 15 should be around the corner. And we better enjoy it when it comes.

Feyenoord's list of honours (never relegated):

Champions (Eredivisie): 14

Dutch Cup: 11

Dutch SuperCup (Johan Cruyff Plate or dish or fruit platter): 3

Intercontinental Cup: 1

European Cup: 1

UEFA Cup: 2

Should you care to read the English Wikipedia page on Feyenoord, that seems to have been written by someone whos frame of reference was possibly somewhat affected by his blind love for the club. I mean, to mention yourself as Runner's Up in the European Super Cup...

Ajax enjoy playing at De Kuip too, we've won a many a trophy there, including one of many European Cups as well as countless domestic games :)

yeah yeah yeah, I am not disputing that.

Times have changed though. That virus is gone. As Clasie has put it last year: in the Academy, we are not accustomed to loosing against Ajax.

But this is off topic and this mb is for Villans.

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts (Rafa Benitez style)

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

It's quite the contrast if you come up with Albrighton, Clark and Agbonlahor.

Not to get in a heated argument or to baost one academy is indeed bigger than the other but allow me this question: how many Feyenoord academy graduates are currently playing in arguably one of the best leagues in the world?

Barry, Cahill, Sturridge, Agbonlahor, Clark, Albrighton, Weimann, Bannan, Herd, Craig and Gary Gardner to name just a few.

Here is a small list from players in the top leagues in the world (I may have forgotten a few). If you would ask me to make a new list in 5 years...it would be so much longer.

Robin van Persie (Arsenal)

Salomon Kalou (Just joined Lille from Chelsea)

Royston Drenthe (On loan at Everton last season from Real Madrid)

Luc Castaignos (Inter Milan)

Jeffrey Bruma (On loan to HSV from Chelsea)

Glenn Loovens (Real Zaragoza)

Jonathan de Guzman (Just moved on loan to Swansea from Villarreal)

Gerson Magrao (Santos)

Karim Rekik (Manchester City)

Nathan Ake (Chelsea)

Dominic Adiyiah (AC Milan)

Kyle Ebecilio (Arsenal)

Moestafa el Kabir (Cagliari)

Ronnie Stam (Wigan)

Michel Bastos (Olympique Lyon)

Gianni Zuiverloon (Real Mallorca)

Before you were complaining about clubs poaching talents aged 16, now you want to claim people like Kalou and Bastos as Feyenoord products when you signed them from their home countries at 18?

Feyenoord does have a great academy & seems to be producing a lot the last few years, but really we have to wait and see how youth players progress. People like Drenthe & De Guzman had a lot of hype but have not lived up to it yet.

Of your list only Van Persie, Kalou & Bastos are really proven top level players and the latter two are not really Feyenoord products.

the rest are either too early in their career to judge (Castaignos, Ebecilio, Rekik, Ake, Adiyiah, Bruma) or pretty average players on about the same level as Villa products like Craig Gardner or Liam Ridgewell (Zuiverloon, Loovens, Stam).

Call me romantic, but I like historic ties. Feyenoord and Aston Villa have a lot in common. Not too much brass to show for, but to be reconed with from time to time.

If we look at the rate of winning championships over the last 40 years, title number 15 should be around the corner. And we better enjoy it when it comes.

Feyenoord's list of honours (never relegated):

Champions (Eredivisie): 14

Dutch Cup: 11

Dutch SuperCup (Johan Cruyff Plate or dish or fruit platter): 3

Intercontinental Cup: 1

European Cup: 1

UEFA Cup: 2

Should you care to read the English Wikipedia page on Feyenoord, that seems to have been written by someone whos frame of reference was possibly somewhat affected by his blind love for the club. I mean, to mention yourself as Runner's Up in the European Super Cup...

Not too far off Ajax's record

Champions (Eredivisie): 31

Dutch Cup: 18

Dutch SuperCup (Johan Cruyff Shield, I think): 7

Intercontinental Cup: 2

European Cup: 4

UEFA Cup: 1

European Cup Winners Cup: 1

UEFA Super Cup: 3

:) But yes, let's get back on topic, I'm done gloating... for now...