Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, Vlaar said it would be a dream to come to Villa and was very impressed by Lambert.

...Come on then, hurry up!

Talk on Twitter is of an £8m fee - maybe a little bit too much for a defender?

http://www.footytwits.com/en/inglaterra/aston-villa_148

The folks on Twitter had no idea Vlaar was in B6 until his photo was taken at the ground, so why would they have any inkling on how much the transfer fee is?

I think the story about having a clause in his contract is true, what is certainly true, is that we will never hear it from our end.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/holland-v-denmark-player-ratings-7834284.html?action=gallery&ino=4

I've been looking for Euro2012 player ratings, could only find this (Holland vs Denmark)

Not reading too much into it though. I've got more than enough faith in Lambert to welcome Vlaar with open arms. He'll only improve our fragile defensive situation and I'm encouraged by his apparent leadership attributes.

I'm guessing we will agree a price between 5-7m with clauses.

I reckon that's how the Mail & Mirror decide on their stories too :P

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/holland-v-denmark-player-ratings-7834284.html?action=gallery&ino=4

I've been looking for Euro2012 player ratings, could only find this (Holland vs Denmark)

Not reading too much into it though. I've got more than enough faith in Lambert to welcome Vlaar with open arms. He'll only improve our fragile defensive situation and I'm encouraged by his apparent leadership attributes.

Van Der Wiel, Heitinga and Van Persie were also given the same rating for that game and they are decent players. So like you said, wouldn't read too much into it.

Look at what Heitinga and Van Der Wiel received, makes you feel better haha!

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/remember-the-defender-so-bad-he-was-dropped-by-holland-aston-villa-are-on-his-trail-0026906-1

It always amazes me how quickly people are to publish bad press about other teams. A story out of nothing.

I think what is very apparent is that no-one worth a carrot seems to know too much about Ron Vlaar.

The very fact that he was considered good enough to be in the Dutch starting XI at the Euros, indicates that, at least at his best, Ron Vlaar is a very good player, and at the £3m-£5m being mooted, I think we'll find that we've spent less wisely on defenders in recent years. Not mentioning any names of course.

Cuellar, Hutton, Knight, Warnock, C.Davies, Beye, Shorey, L.Young.

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/remember-the-defender-so-bad-he-was-dropped-by-holland-aston-villa-are-on-his-trail-0026906-1

It always amazes me how quickly people are to publish bad press about other teams. A story out of nothing.

I think what is very apparent is that no-one worth a carrot seems to know too much about Ron Vlaar.

The very fact that he was considered good enough to be in the Dutch starting XI at the Euros, indicates that, at least at his best, Ron Vlaar is a very good player, and at the £3m-£5m being mooted, I think we'll find that we've spent less wisely on defenders in recent years. Not mentioning any names of course.

Cuellar, Hutton, Knight, Warnock, C.Davies, Beye, Shorey, L.Young.

Erm, L. Young was good for us was he not?

It actually wasn't Villaajax, but Ajax-fan who said, on page 12, I quote:

He is slow, not a great defender, not so good at football (like Vertonghen for example), one of the weakest link at the Dutch team this Euro 2012. He failed there and AZ in the early stage of his career. Do you know Loovens? He didn't make it make it in the premier league as well right? I rate Vlaar abit higher, but not much.

(end quote)

There something in there I completely disagree with and that, if Ajax-fan would know his history, he should remember to be incorrect.

When Vlaar was 19 or 20 and playing for AZ Alkmaar, he was doing very well and he was one of the most wanted young defenders, also attracting interest from the Premier League. Somebody said Villa at that time expressed interest, I don't know that much. I know Ajax very much wanted to sign him, and so did the Spurs.

I know the entire Dutch league was gobsmacked that Vlaar elected to move to Feyenoord.

I think I understand the confusing part. It should have said UNLIKE Vertonghen. Which I ment to relate to the football part. If I remember things correctly. Vlaar made his debut in the game Netherlands - Italy 1-3. Vlaar was absolutely horrifying! He had alot of heavy critism which he couldn't deal with. He got on a dead end at AZ and wanted to make a new start at Feyenoord. Also Van Basten (head coach of Dutch team) did that more often. Players who weren't ready yet made their debut in the national team.

Thing is, for myself, I watch players always if they would fit Ajax or not. With our high pressing lines, Vlaar just lacks pace. I really do hope Aston Villa won't press that high. Once the counter attack is going on, he will never catch up. Vertonghen is a slow starter as well, but with his elephant steps, he gets at least some top speed going.

Also the youth acadamies is quite hard to say which one is best. Feyenoord sees his best players robbed by big clubs around the world. While Ajax get robbed too. Ajax however steals mostly themselves of all kind of teams around the world. The awards doesn't say anything at all, nonsense awards. In football it's all about the best players, playing sexy football and winning championships/cups. Without all the robbing it would be a close call I guess.

I thought there was a release clause for 4m Euro's?

There is a release clause yes. I don't know the exact price, most rumors here are around 4 million euro indeed.

Dear Mr. Ajax-fan,

We've certainly enjoyed playing against your high pressing lines last season...

Say what you want about Vlaar, I think I've been clear enough about him not being my number 1 either, but you're making it sound as if everything he's done so far, including this likely move to Villa, has been due to the misreading of his talent by the likes of Van Gaal, Van Basten, Van Marwijk, Beenhakker, Van Geel and Koeman. Very, very unlikely, don't you agree?

Sure he had a hard time after annuncing his wish to leave AZ Alkmaar at 19. Van Gaal stopped playing him immediatly. I remember they had a big row and Vlaar accused Van Gaal of blackmail, which led AZ to serve him up a warning and a fine to pay.

I agree that Van Basten employed a terrible selection programme, calling up anyone but my granny.

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts (Rafa Benitez style)

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

It's quite the contrast if you come up with Albrighton, Clark and Agbonlahor.

Not to get in a heated argument or to baost one academy is indeed bigger than the other but allow me this question: how many Feyenoord academy graduates are currently playing in arguably one of the best leagues in the world?

Barry, Cahill, Sturridge, Agbonlahor, Clark, Albrighton, Weimann, Bannan, Herd, Craig and Gary Gardner to name just a few.

Here is a small list from players in the top leagues in the world (I may have forgotten a few). If you would ask me to make a new list in 5 years...it would be so much longer.

Robin van Persie (Arsenal)

Salomon Kalou (Just joined Lille from Chelsea)

Royston Drenthe (On loan at Everton last season from Real Madrid)

Luc Castaignos (Inter Milan)

Jeffrey Bruma (On loan to HSV from Chelsea)

Glenn Loovens (Real Zaragoza)

Jonathan de Guzman (Just moved on loan to Swansea from Villarreal)

Gerson Magrao (Santos)

Karim Rekik (Manchester City)

Nathan Ake (Chelsea)

Dominic Adiyiah (AC Milan)

Kyle Ebecilio (Arsenal)

Moestafa el Kabir (Cagliari)

Ronnie Stam (Wigan)

Michel Bastos (Olympique Lyon)

Gianni Zuiverloon (Real Mallorca)