Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

the obsession with pace, whilst valid to some extent, has been blown out of proportion by games like fifa which are entirely decided by the pace of players. Real football is very different, pace only really matters on counter attacks etc. Acceleration and agility are far more important when defending as a unit. Rarely will a defender be running anywhere near full speed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that I picked out Vlaar as being particularly shite for Holland against Portugal in the Euros. He was given the unenviable task of marking Ronaldo and did an extremely shit job of it (as many would).

That being said he is a Dutch international and for the reported £3m fee I can't see much wrong with it. rather see him and clarke at the back then the brothers Grimm.

Quite happy to trust PL over the opinions of a few FM types online!!

Obsession with pace is pointless, much more to defending - and being a good player - than that, as I would have thought most fans would know.

As for the endless 'I would prefer so and so' - how meaningless is that ? PL knows our budget, knows who may come and who may not, and would be more than aware of possible and impossible alternatives.

God had pace in abundance, during his prime. Kompany has pace! Vidic while not pacey is not slow either. Ferdinand doesn't have the p-ace he used to, but he still not slow.

Pace matters as a centre back depending on how high a defensive line you keep. If you defend high up the pitch like Arsenal then you need at least one quick mobile centre back. If you defend deep like Villa under MON then Dunne and Collins are more than sufficient. But you saw what happenned when Houllier tried to impliment a high line with Dunne, Warnock and Collins!

Great reading of the game can help cover for a lack of pace, but one mistake and your buggered! Thats why pace is so useful, because even if you make a mistake you have a chance to recover the situation. This is why Sol Campbell was so good in his prime, because he had so much pace (for a CB) his mistakes were rarely punished!

Also Vlaar is considered to be a very good reader of the game, so if he was paired with say Clark who has a bit of pace and is also a good reader of the game you could play a slightly higher line than normal and get away with it. Also Vlaar is a good passer short and long, so our distribution should be good, and as he was school in Holland I expect to see him look to play the ball out, rather than Dunne and Collins recreations of the john smiths advert!

I think he could become a very good signing for us, but I expect he will need a few months to settle in and get used to the pace of the premier league.

People say Vlaar is a bad player because Holland played badly in the Euros. Does that mean that RVP, VDV, Robben, Huntelaar and so on are also bad then? Vlaar played with Van Bommel ahead of him being his last cover, Van Bommel is like a bumblebee. Slow and chubby. Put someone like Herd ahead of him and he's allowed to do what he does best. Read the game and intercept at the right time.

Martin Laursen was slow but he made up for it with good positioning. If we sign Vlaar and he does the same as Laursen then I'll be more than happy. Some of the best centre backs in the world lack pace! Positioning is the key to defending.

Feyenoord could you advise how the recent dealings between the clubs have been portrayed? Has it been the case where it seems that both boards have conducted themselves well and have mutual respect for each other? If so was thinking perhaps there would be a chance for a link up between the clubs. I kknownthisnis normally done with clubs a lot smaller than yourselves, and I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards your club. Was just thinking with the lack of high end money in the Dutch league, it may be beneficial for both parties to have the link. You could have some of our youngsters on loan, and we could have first refusal on your players....or something along those lines

I know you shouldn't compare Vlaar with an immortal, but I don't remember Paul McGrath being blessed with blistering pace. He didn't half know how to read a game though and he couldn't half time a tackle. If Vlaar has half his awareness he could be a useful defender.

Is there a picture of the official team photo? Was Vlaar not included?

Think they would probably have one with and one without to cover all bases as they won't be ready to be published untill after a decision has been made. Don't mean that he is close to signing but looking very likley. Hope it comes off soon, a week of not knowing would kill me. Do we think he will fly out to the US?

Feyenoord could you advise how the recent dealings between the clubs have been portrayed? Has it been the case where it seems that both boards have conducted themselves well and have mutual respect for each other? If so was thinking perhaps there would be a chance for a link up between the clubs. I kknownthisnis normally done with clubs a lot smaller than yourselves, and I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards your club. Was just thinking with the lack of high end money in the Dutch league, it may be beneficial for both parties to have the link. You could have some of our youngsters on loan, and we could have first refusal on your players....or something along those lines

Are you sure you have the authority to negotiate this?

Heitinga wasn't great for Holland in the euros and yet he's solid enough for Everton most weeks if you use him as a guide.

We were linked with Vlaar years back possibly when he was at AZ.

Happy enough with him in if only to shake things up there as Collins and Dunne have had it easy there for far to long, the cnuts. I expect one of those to be moved on by the end of August if Vlaar comes.