Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

I also don't mean to be disrespectful but I think our first team is quite close in terms of quality but our youth academy is far far far superior to Villa's.

Big boast my friend.

I think our academy is up there with the best in the UK and, on the basis of last year's Next Gen series, the best in Europe. "far, far, far" may be stretching it!

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts (Rafa Benitez style)

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

It's quite the contrast if you come up with Albrighton, Clark and Agbonlahor.

Well put.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't mean to be disrespectful but I think our first team is quite close in terms of quality but our youth academy is far far far superior to Villa's.

Big boast my friend.

I think our academy is up there with the best in the UK and, on the basis of last year's Next Gen series, the best in Europe. "far, far, far" may be stretching it!

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts (Rafa Benitez style)

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

Well put.

Big boast my friend.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts.

But on the other hand, Ajax play in the NextGen series and Ajax is and always has been far superior to Feyenoord in all honesty.

They were superior in the 90's and early 2000's. Feyenoord have been dominating in the last 5/7 years and have been voted 'Best youth academy' 3 years in a row now.

Feyenoord (2012)

Feyenoord (2011)

Feyenoord (2010)

Sparta Rotterdam (2009)

FC Twente (2008)

PSV (2007)

Big boast my friend.

That is pretty impressive and I have no doubt that technical ability wise your players would be miles ahead of the English (a real bug bear of mine, but that is down to the entire football setup in England). What I would say though is that some of players would bring something different to the table, didn't you say you would like Delfounso?

Big boast my friend.

That is pretty impressive and I have no doubt that technical ability wise your players would be miles ahead of the English (a real bug bear of mine, but that is down to the entire football setup in England). What I would say though is that some of players would bring something different to the table, didn't you say you would like Delfounso?

I don't know him that well but we have massive problems up front now that Guidetti has returned to Man City. Delfouneso is quite big and powerful like Guidetti and would maybe fit the bill. I heard from someone a few pages back that he is mentally not right and we already have one of those in our team (and that's enough me thinks).

We have 3 strikers at the moment. Anass Achahbar is a super talent but very young and small and not ready yet to play in the starting line-up every week. Guyon Fernandez is nothing more than decent but is mentally not very stable. He was suspended for 11 games out of a possible 34 last season :D and Mitchell te Vrede is back-up.

Its very hard for the more technical player to come through in the premiership, because the physical demands are such that they need to be an athlete and agressive to make an instant impact. This is the problem with players like Bannan (technically very good, could do well in dutch football i think) best passer in our squad, good vision and awareness, but small, weak and not very good defensively. In the premiership our midfield when playing 4-4-2 offers no proctection when Bannan plays centrally, so he's been used mainly as a sub in the wide positions which is not his game. Clark technically very good for a central defender, but a bit weak for the premier league, and not the best at COMPETING in the air, so he's been used mainly as a defensive midfielder.

The premiership is much more demanding and so for the young players with little experience it very difficult, and takes time to bring them through. Only freaks like Rooney make instant impacts. Rooney was fully grown at 18 and a naturally agressive demeanor with lots of technical ability, with strength and pace.

Delfouneso's problem is on the pitch he is a bit laxidazical, needs to be more proactive, more aggressive. He's got lots of skill, good dribbler - keeps the ball quite close to him, good balance, some pace, some strength, gets into go positions in the box, 6'1. In the box though he can be too static. If someone could get his head in the right place, you would have an international class striker, but otherwise he won't make it at the top level. I still have hope though.

Personally I think many of our young players could do well in Holland. Weimann (who won't be going out on loan) would score hatfuls.

sorry if it has already been mentioned....but I just saw a you-tube clip of him scoring from in his own half....anyone else seen it?

some commanding headers also, very laursen-like.

How about a link, mate?

sorry mate, not great with links but i'll have a crack...

You did good! :D

Must say, that was one cracking goal as well. Pales even Stans screamer against Derby.

Its very hard for the more technical player to come through in the premiership, because the physical demands are such that they need to be an athlete and agressive to make an instant impact. This is the problem with players like Bannan (technically very good, could do well in dutch football i think) best passer in our squad, good vision and awareness, but small, weak and not very good defensively. In the premiership our midfield when playing 4-4-2 offers no proctection when Bannan plays centrally, so he's been used mainly as a sub in the wide positions which is not his game. Clark technically very good for a central defender, but a bit weak for the premier league, and not the best at COMPETING in the air, so he's been used mainly as a defensive midfielder.

The premiership is much more demanding and so for the young players with little experience it very difficult, and takes time to bring them through. Only freaks like Rooney make instant impacts. Rooney was fully grown at 18 and a naturally agressive demeanor with lots of technical ability, with strength and pace.

Delfouneso's problem is on the pitch he is a bit laxidazical, needs to be more proactive, more aggressive. He's got lots of skill, good dribbler - keeps the ball quite close to him, good balance, some pace, some strength, gets into go positions in the box, 6'1. In the box though he can be too static. If someone could get his head in the right place, you would have an international class striker, but otherwise he won't make it at the top level. I still have hope though.

Personally I think many of our young players could do well in Holland. Weimann (who won't be going out on loan) would score hatfuls.

Top notch post

I don't think you can really compare English and Dutch youth systems.

The dutch academies have always produced great players. English clubs seem to prefer to poach them at 14-15, train them up to 18 and then slap a 'from our academy' tag on them.

I would agree that Feyenoord have a superior academy to ours - but ours is still an excellent one.

The main difference is we find it easier to hang on to our players, whereas the dutch clubs risk losing them as soon as they show excellent potential at 15, before they can legally be given a contract by the home club.

Big boast my friend.

Well put.

I utterly concur. I believe the term "owned" is correct. Our Youth system gets widely lauded by our own fans, but I dont see many of our youth prospects playing for any teams of high quality in England, never mind across Europe.

Hopefully the more dealings we do with Feyenoord, (who I may adopt as my Dutch team now, why the devil not?!), the closer links the two teams will have.

BTW feynoord Gary Cahill - Chelsea and England, Garth Barry - Man City and England have come through our youth team also.

Brighton say hello

You mean the bloke signed to keep his mate Michael Standing company at 16 didn't come through our academy? There was me thinking he spent two years in our U18 teams ;-)

I have a Feyenoord mug. Although my girlfriend is from Enschede and so supports FC Twente.

Just sayin'.

Poor you...It's almost just like living with a German :winkold:

Enschede is beautiful, but Twente fans are nutters.

BTW feynoord Gary Cahill - Chelsea and England, Garth Barry - Man City and England have come through our youth team also.

Being fair, we did poach Barry from Brighton remember... And don't forget, the Moore brothers were streets ahead of Rooney when we won the Youth Cup in 2002 - but then look how they all fared...

We're good - but we ain't that good. Let it go. They do things differently across the channel. It's just life.

I'm in, I'm in... now post something quickly before they change their minds...

As a Feyenoord-fan for whom all hope of national silverware or CL group stage has been soured by you Villa(i)ns' plundering our central axis, I came across this thread when looking for confirmation of Ron Vlaar moving over to B'ingham.

There's been much said about Ron. Also by people of the likes of Villaajax, who's postings are of good content, but I believe one should not allow them on stage alone for they will likely never shut up again. Villaajax stated Vlaar is nowhere near Vertonghen and although I am relieved at his departure from Ajax, I don't think he's worth 12 million pounds. Nevertheless, Ajax of course shouldn't refuse that kind of money if some band of dimwits is pleased to pay it.

Basically I am convinced Ron to be your man. I am just not convinced he's a real captain. He is not the brightest light in the sky, proof of which is his choice of tattoo, in my mind. One could dismiss this as irrelevant, I beg to differ. There are photo's on the web for those who are curious. And I am most definetily looking forward to Ron making statements in English on MotD or Sky Sports or whatsitcalled.

Ron is not a ballerina, but last season I have seen him do things in and near the box I had never dreamed him capable of doing. He isn't flying down the flanks to give a cross, but he can thunder down the middle and has a devastating right-foot kick, usually most effective when sending a free kick away from 60 yards out. Liken him to his current boss, Ronald Koeman in this respect. Remember Wembley 1992, Barcelona v. Sampdoria, the only goal of the game. He also can put in a good header, as has been said before. Ron has an inch-perfect long pass.

I do not particularly like him for being a good reader of the game, maybe his timing is good when tackling or stealing a ball, but reading the game to me implies also that he knows when the opponent is ready for the kill and then leading his teammates to apply it and that I think is not his forte.

There's been questions on how to pronounce Vlaar and as usual the Dutch have been excellent at providing confusion on the matter.

For pronounciation of the double-A i'd like to refer you to the scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail, where the group enters the cave of the legendary Black Beast of Aaargh. Wait until John Cleese says: ''no, it's in the back of the throat''. Immediatly following that statement, Cleese provides an excellent performance of the Dutch double-A.

The Beast of Aaargh may well be a good nickname for Ronnie.

Also, much has been said of Feyenoord and it's youth academy, where again somebody clearly supportive of the highly regarded archrivals said that they have been and will always be superior. Again, a trigger for me to want to give some counterweight. Study the results of the Dutch academies and you will be able to draw your own conclusions.

What we suck at, big time, is bagging profits.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, going over to a club only just clearing itself from the Dark Ages of Debt and stealing their captain for a lousy 3 million quid... Of course, the real problem here is our legacy of bad management, where some daft arse allowed this sum to be taken up in his contract.

Anyway, wouldn't want to stop Ron for making this move, he deserved it. This guy has been out for two years with knee-trouble. Managed to get over it both times by working hard and got called up for the national squad, granted he played a poor game against Portugal at the Euro's but you've got to be the world's most narrowsighted person to dismiss the guy because of one game.

Thankfully, we've got some 4 or 5 talented cb's to take his place.

Ok just for the record, & in no way am i refuting the higher quality of Feyenords Youth system over ours.. But we did produce Gary Cahill (Current England international), Darius Vassell (former England international), Gabby (Has been in England squad before now)..Then Ok Gareth Barry to a point & of course we have several who are still to reach their true height in Bannan, Weimann, Clark, Carruthers, etc although jury is still out on many of these guys... So credit where it's due we ain't all that bad...

So we have 4 England internationals

1 x current Chelsea star & several other established Premier league players too..

Plus of course half the current Villa side with others coming through

So we ain't doing bad.

Liking the sound of Vlaar too.. Hope it's done soon..