Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

I find it strange that Lambert has completely reversed both his opinion of Lowton and Hutton in the space of a couple of months since Keane joined.

Lambert has reversed his opinion on the whole young and hungry vs old and overpaid thingy. We're now where we should have been 2 years ago - the young and hungry, obviously of better quality, should have come after the old and overpaid had been used and/or sold.

Still, with Hutton, Bent, Given and N'Zogbia in the team we're now more likely to scrape to 17th.

Totally agree young and hungry was never going to work we knew that thicko lambert didnt. I hope he never ever tries it again you need experience in pl i think keane has told lambert his fortune lowton will be the first of many i think. I think lowton is finished and if we can get a left back so is bennett he will use richardson or baker as cover.

You do realise that 'thicko Lambert' didn't have the wages to bring in experienced players?

Lowton is a half decent player, but he isnt a defender and isnt as good a midfielder as Albrighton was. I don't really think loaning him out is going to do us much good as he is unlikely to come back as a better player, selling him would be preferable.

Lambert tried to be clever and it backfired hes reverting to tried and tested like he should of at the start. Lowton has dropped the last year so him going dosnt bother me too much

Sigh.

The only reason it has "backfired" is because "young and hungry" players cost money.  If you've got an owner that isn't willing to spend a decent sum of money (lets say, for example, £8m on Benteke) on good, young players then you have to take a different approach.  The approach, now, seems to be to take in more experienced players for minimal amounts.

Irrespective of how you feel about Lambert or who he should/should not buy, bringing in younger players is more often than not going to be a good approach.  For example (and I know he's a different calibre of player), Chelsea brought in Lukaku for £18m, seldom played him, and then sold him on for £28m.  Young players will, on the whole, hold their value or improve it. 

The mistakes of signing a whole load of expensive, proven players (Bent, N'Zogbia, Hutton, Warnock, Reo-Coker, Beye etc etc) with little to no resale value and high wages has massively stung us in the ass.  Signing cheaper players was always going to be the better approach to take.  Given that we weren't generally spending massive amounts, the cheaper players we bought always needed to be complimented by higher quality players as we move along.  In this instance, Lambert hasn't been afforded the backing to do this and has had to adapt.

Lowton is a pretty brilliant indicator of what can happen.  Highly rated at Sheff Utd, we bought him for £3m(?) thinking he'd be a solid player for years to come - and maybe he will be.  His performances at the back of the 2012/13 season were brilliant but, for whatever reason, he hasn't worked out this time round.  A loan to Middlesbrough may well work wonders for him.  Alternatively, it might not improve his stock at all.  Either way, if we need to get rid of him, we'll still recoup a fee and won't have spent a silly amount on wages - a more preferable scenario than with the aforementioned players, no?

• Like 2

Got this feeling that the whole Lambert "project" is unravelling bit by bit.

I don't think it was ever Lambert's project. I don't think he chose to buy cheap young players instead of better experienced players, and bomb out the expensive quality, just for a wacky experiment.

It was Lerner's project. It smacks of an economist dictating transfer policy. Buy players young enough to have a sell on value / don't buy depreciating assets.  It didn't work. Now Lerner has told Lambert to do what he feels best to keep us up on a shoe string. Back come the bomb squad.

Lets now judge Lambert on how he does with some experienced and quality to the team. 

Back on topic - Lowton is a good footballer. He's not a good defender. I've not got false memories of Hutton, but I'd prefer him at RB to Lowton. Bacuna is a good back up if he's not playing in midfield. Lowton is surplus to requirements. Lets free up some funds and get a bull dog in midfield.

That's very puzzling. 

It has very clearly been Lambert's project according to most people posting on here for the past couple of seasons but, now it lies in tatters, it seems it was Lerner's "project" all along.

All you can say is that, if true, Lambert was a fool to agree to run the club according to the dictates of a playboy billionaire who clearly has minimal understanding of football.

Back on topic again, Lowton is an example of how difficult it is for lower league players to step up to premier league level. I've never really bought into the overoptimistic praise he got on these pages. A loan to a championship side would be good for him.

• Like 1

That's very puzzling. 

It has very clearly been Lambert's project according to most people posting on here for the past couple of seasons but, now it lies in tatters, it seems it was Lerner's "project" all along.

All you can say is that, if true, Lambert was a fool to agree to run the club according to the dictates of a playboy billionaire who clearly has minimal understanding of football.

Back on topic again, Lowton is an example of how difficult it is for lower league players to step up to premier league level. I've never really bought into the overoptimistic praise he got on these pages. A loan to a championship side would be good for him.

And Westwood/Delph are two examples of the opposite.

That's very puzzling. 

Simple rule of hindsight - when things are going well it's cause of the good guy ( Lambert ), when the same things turn out to be bad it's cause of the bad guy ( Lerner ). 

Fwiw, it was Paul Faulkner himself who has said it was entirely up to Lambert how he should spend the budget. 

I'd have bacuna over lowton but I'd have Hutton over both of them.

lol.

It's as if some people have completely forgotten how shite Hutton was/is.

A lot of our squad was shite under McLeish. We played so defensive aside from the fullbacks. It seems McLeish wanted his fullbacks attacking frequently so that played a big part in why he was caught out so many times. For Scotland, Hutton actually has played half-decent.

I'd have bacuna over lowton but I'd have Hutton over both of them.

lol.

It's as if some people have completely forgotten how shite Hutton was/is.

A lot of our squad was shite under McLeish. We played so defensive aside from the fullbacks. It seems McLeish wanted his fullbacks attacking frequently so that played a big part in why he was caught out so many times. For Scotland, Hutton actually has played half-decent.

That's absolute nonsense, he wanted his full-backs attacking, that would help if they actually got outside of their half. He was caught out just as Lowton is because both are poor at defending.

Whatever your feelings on Lambert lets hope this isn't the case. If project Lambert fails we are in very dark place indeed. We aren't in the position that should Lambert fail the chairman will bring in a more suitable manager resulting in an upswing - our best hope for next season is that Lambert s cobbled together squad can some how muster 37 points ....

Edited by smetrov
  • Like 1

That's very puzzling.

Why was he a "fool" to agree to such a plan? He succeeded in carrying out his remit didn't he? I'd call that very astute.

I think it's bollocks anyway. He did the best HE could with the money he was given. Got the wages down etc etc. Some of those players turned out to not be good enough, as expected by most and so he's moving them on.

What's the problem here? Lambert has many faults, I don't personally believe his dealings in the transfer market are one of them.

Any old stick...

Whatever your feelings on Lambert lets hope this isn't the case. If project Lambert fails we are in very dark place indeed. We aren't in the position that should Lambert fail the chairman will bring in a more suitable manager resulting in an upswing - our best hope for next season is that Lambert s cobbled together squad can some how muster 37 points ....

Normally, If Plan Lambo has failed then it's easier to shelve and replace with another plan than the ones employed by some previous managers. Only problem really is the circumstance the club is in at the moment, that's the worry.

I find it strange that Lambert has completely reversed both his opinion of Lowton and Hutton in the space of a couple of months since Keane joined.

Lambert has reversed his opinion on the whole young and hungry vs old and overpaid thingy. We're now where we should have been 2 years ago - the young and hungry, obviously of better quality, should have come after the old and overpaid had been used and/or sold.

Still, with Hutton, Bent, Given and N'Zogbia in the team we're now more likely to scrape to 17th.

Totally agree young and hungry was never going to work we knew that thicko lambert didnt. I hope he never ever tries it again you need experience in pl i think keane has told lambert his fortune lowton will be the first of many i think. I think lowton is finished and if we can get a left back so is bennett he will use richardson or baker as cover.

You do realise that 'thicko Lambert' didn't have the wages to bring in experienced players?

He had them on the books but decided to bomb them out instead.

Â