Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

It's frustrating because he seemed quite a promising playing at the start, he was good going forward, and reasonably decent at the back. Some players lose form, but in this case it does seem like he lost ambition and drive. That Stoke goal was a belter though!

Lost his focus last summer

Sadly it does look rather that way.

I wonder if THIS had anything to do with it.

Aston Villa defender Matthew Lowton has agreed a new four-year deal to keep him at Villa Park until 2017. 

Lost his focus last summer

Sadly it does look rather that way.

I wonder if THIS had anything to do with it.

Aston Villa defender Matthew Lowton has agreed a new four-year deal to keep him at Villa Park until 2017. 

Yep, also see : AndI Weimann.

• Like 1

Or  otherwise known as young and no longer so hungry

Yes it is the permanent curse of money on our beloved sport.

As soon as players get paid a massive wedge then they literally don't give a toss as soon as the slightest challenge is put in their way.

This means players may have a decent year or two but the odds of them being consistently good over the course of a career are vanishingly thin. And if you do find one that has the mentality to go with the ability he'll command a fee north of £50m.

Which means for the "normal" clubs we are in a constant cycle of playing performing or not depending on where they are at in their contract. (It is no surprise to see Hutton playing like a man possessed when his fat pay day ends at the end of this year).

And Sky constantly push up their prices which we pay, players salaries go up and the whole cycle is constantly reinforced.

Or, perhaps, there was trouble on the training ground. Nothing major, mind. Nothing that would mean those in charge would lose their jobs....

Or, perhaps, our manager has realised he is out of his depth dealing with players that actually need to be coached and so is looking for experienced players that can "do a job" with minimal input.

Just perhaps.

Or, perhaps, there was trouble on the training ground. Nothing major, mind. Nothing that would mean those in charge would lose their jobs....

Or, perhaps, our manager has realised he is out of his depth dealing with players that actually need to be coached and so is looking for experienced players that can "do a job" with minimal input.

Just perhaps.

None of that would explain why Andi, a professional athlete, is blowing out of his arse after 15 minutes.

None of that would explain why Andi, a professional athlete, is blowing out of his arse after 15 minutes.

This is not the Wiemann thread but we must be watching different players. I see one who runs all game, but often needlessly, aimlessly or pointlessly. His decision making is not brilliant - but that could (and should) be coached.

• Like 3

Weimann is still hungry dont worry about that!

giphy.gif

----

Gutted how it's turned out for Lowton. A very handy footballer whose athleticism would have probably stopped him getting to the very top, but one certainly good enough for our team. One of the only players who could control the ball, look up and pass it in the last two seasons.

Just perhaps.

He actually played well when he played up front, and he worked very hard all year, he just isn't a winger at all.

I think Lowton would be better with a defensive midfielder in front of the back line, might let him develop rather than getting stressed, clearly there''s something gone wrong with him and Lambert but the team/tactic is unbalanced at the best of times and so any defensively average players are always going to get exposed.

I'd try if I put on the shirt, i'd still be **** useless mind

I'd persevere with Lowton, or even send him out on half a season loan to get his confidence back up

I still think he'll probably make a better midfielder than defender long term though. A bit like Barry

• Like 1

I'd persevere with Lowton, or even send him out on half a season loan to get his confidence back up

I still think he'll probably make a better midfielder than defender long term though. A bit like Barry

That seems to be the stock answer on here for young defenders who aren't very good at defending - stick them in midfield.  Barry was a completely different kettle of fish because he was (and is) such a talented footballer that he could do a very good job anywhere in defence or midfield.

• Like 2

That seems to be the stock answer on here for young defenders who aren't very good at defending - stick them in midfield.  Barry was a completely different kettle of fish because he was (and is) such a talented footballer that he could do a very good job anywhere in defence or midfield.

But it wasn't until he played as a CM that we knew how good he was and he blossomed into the player he is today. He wasn't as good in defence, which is why he was played as a CM In the first place.

But it wasn't until he played as a CM that we knew how good he was and he blossomed into the player he is today. He wasn't as good in defence, which is why he was played as a CM In the first place.

If I remember correctly, he started as the left CB in a back 3. When we moved him out left with 4 defenders, he didn't do so well (mostly due to his lack of pace) - so we pushed him up the pitch and put Jlloyd Samuel behind him.

That should tell you all you need to know about his defensive ability.

I think its the stock answer for under performing players.

That performance against Sunderland still brings a tear to the eye. I thought he was going to be brilliant for us. Never mind.

Yeah, that was the best performance I've ever seen from a full back in a Villa shirt.

I still think Lowton can make it, seems he's lost his way a little bit. I think there was an issue with him and Lambert at one stage (probably regarding being late for training or whatever it was), whether being dropped from the squad has knocked his confidence or not I'm not sure. I do believe there's a decent footballer in there though.

Edited by PieFacE

Even playing in a dog of a team under Taylor, Barry was exceptional on the left side of midfield.  He was also excellent at the back as part of a three under Gregory.  But anyway, my point stands.  Poor defenders like Lowton and Bennett are often put forward for a midfield berth.  It's nonsense.

• Like 1

Â