General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

When Randy dismantles a European cup winning side, gets us relegated, signs Tony Cascerino for double the managers valuation, fails to exploit the biggest cash cow in footballing history at the right moment consigning us to perennial mediocrity, then perhaps he bares comparison with Doug.

Time for some to pick up a history book to put their warped sense of the here and now into context.

Give Randy the same amount of time in charge and it might look similar. His ownership of the Browns wasn't successful over a long period.

But really that's not the point I'm making. Clearly Doug made plenty of mistakes but lets be honest the thousands of fans holding up the £ signs didn't do it because we were relegated 20 years earlier. The pressure on Doug to sell up, the abuse he got was because we wanted better.

We lacked ambition, we couldn't compete with the top clubs (now we can't compete with most clubs) and we wanted more for the club.

Like I said, what was all the fuss about if we're so content to just drift along now?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we will bring 2 players in and I really think it's just down to Lambert taking his time and looking to get value for money. If in the unlikely event Lerner is holding back defeat against Everton today will make him notice, but I really don't think Lambert would have come here without assurances over a large budget.

The more I think about it, I think Lambert is the reason we have not seen any more signings yet. He is obviously very choosy in the players he buys and this is a good thing as opposed to other sides who just go after name after name. Lambert is trying to build a team and just because some of the names are not household names doesn't mean they won't work for us. We need to look at the bigger picture, a team is far more important than a side full of egos that don't compliment each other.

That said we really need at least 2-3 signings.

Big John: the pound protests pre-JPA were the culmination of exactly all of those matters- years of hair pulling!

There are plenty of valid criticisms you can make of Randy, comparing him with Doug is not one of them given Randy's investment.

Big John: the pound protests pre-JPA were the culmination of exactly all of those matters- years of hair pulling!

There are plenty of valid criticisms you can make of Randy, comparing him with Doug is not one of them given Randy's investment.

The £ signs were a simple message to Doug to spend money. Like i said we wanted better, we wanted to compete and we wanted our club to show ambition.

Now we don't care because it's Randy Lerner.

Have a bit of **** patience Big John at the end of the day it's only a game mate so lighten up a little and enjoy football for what it is.

If I ever started moaning as much as some on here do I would quit watching football because it just is not worth getting your knickers in a twist over.

I can't understand how on the morning of the first home game of the season there is people moaning, get down Villa park today and roar the lads on to victory.

Negativity breeds failure.

Up the Villa.

Randy's investment? We re-built 3 stands during Ellis's reign! OK, people might argue the designs are not to their particular liking but that was still a lot of money spent on the ground that could have been used on the pitch.

I think you will also find that Ellis made quite a substantial kitty available to John Gregory, which, when compared to what Lerner gave to MON, would not be far off being a similar kind of outlay.

People are right to question where we are going under Lerner's stewardship. I think that he is having quite an easy ride of it compared to the stick Ellis took. I think a lot of it is because he keeps his head down and isn't as mouthy as Ellis was.

I will personally never forgive Lerner for employing the most inept manager that I have ever seen at the club I love! :evil:

Spot on - it was not just a couple of years but a culmination of years and years of hair pulling of a man taking money OUT of the club in bonuses (even when we were running at a loss - once even saying he deserved a bonus for reducing the debt by a couple of million and taking near on 500K). Years of signing shit managers, getting involved in buying players, selling our best players (the same thing RL is accused of). If RL gets us relegated (he may he may not) but UNTIL that happens I will allow him the same amount of time some allowed that previous man.

May I suggest something - all those not happy with RL do what some of us did - don't sit behind a keyboard - turn up and start a campaign to get hin out - or perhaps let's see what pans out between now and January.

Give PL (and Randy) the benefit of the doubt - say more than 2 games ffs and see what happens.

I am glad PL and Villa are keeping transfers close to their chests. Just seen that a player Arsenal were looking at (Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid) has signed for Liverpool. That was public news. Other clubs could easily come in for them if it was public.

IF we don't sign anyone - I am willing to give them time (even as much as we gave TOG) - at least enough games to see how we will do - no-one can predict the results - how many of you would have predicted Man U losing or QPR with all these new players getting stuffed by Swansea.

Just my opinion

ellis also plowed in £8m to start the development of bodymoor heath

the club hasnt changed much since ellis, but it seems we had alot more money then than we do now, so weres it all going as its not going on team development or towards finishing the stadium with the north stand

i liked most of john gregorys signings, some were duds though, bring him back in some sort of capacity

For the first 3-4 years he invested yes. Under O'Neill we had a net spent of approx 80 mill or 60 mill if you count the Milner money. That took us form 16th and going backwards to three sixth place finishes and challenging for Champions League qualification. During those three years of sixth place finishes we had the 8th, 6th and 6th highest wage bill. For whatever reason Randy/Faulkner were unable to bring income up to a level to sustain the 6th highest wage bill.

Over the last two years the wreckless cost cutting combined with two very poor managerial appointments has seen us go back at an alarming rate and at the end of last season we pretty much found ourselves where Randy found us. Having just avoided relegation.

He has now rectified one of his errors and employed a manager with the potential to do great things with us. We are about to find out if he is going to rectify another mistake and give the manager the backing he will need. If he doesn't we are looking at another season of struggle. The third on the spin and that is simply not good enough for this great club.

Have a bit of **** patience Big John at the end of the day it's only a game mate so lighten up a little and enjoy football for what it is.

If I ever started moaning as much as some on here do I would quit watching football because it just is not worth getting your knickers in a twist over.

I can't understand how on the morning of the first home game of the season there is people moaning, get down Villa park today and roar the lads on to victory.

Up the Villa.

To be fair, 3100+ posts from you would suggest it´s not "only a game" even for you

Villarocker, I dont mean to be rude but Randy has invested hundreds of millions of his own money. How much money did HDE ever put in from his wallet?

As for managers, Doug employed the worst in our history... Billy McChuffingNeil!

The big difference between Doug and Lerner is that Lerner HAS invested money. The problem I have with him he's essentially pissed it all against the wall through mis management. If there is no ambition to invest anymore after essentially ripping the heart out of the team and cut and underinvested in the last 3 years then IMO he should put the club up for sale.

Up the Villa.

To be fair, 3100+ posts from you would suggest it´s not "only a game" even for you

To be fair that is in over 5 years and it is just a game I will certainly not let it ruin my week if we lose today.

Will Lerner still get a free ride if we still have the same players after Aug 31st?

Problem: Because Doug was god-awful, we're now seeing a lack of ambition from the fans as Randy's mistakes were 'not as bad.' Without thinking that both last season and the one before, it took up to April to be safe from relegation.

It's match day people. Get your head in the game. Else we'll be defeated before we kick off.

Indeed.

Can't we wait until the window close's to start slating the way the club is going about it's transfer business. We might go out and sign 5 player's next week, truth is non of us know.