General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Why can't people just be allowed to give their opinions on what is happening (be they positive or negative) without being criticized for doing that or being told the date on which their opinion acquires some validity?
Because a lot of people are jumping to conclusions about our transfer activity when the window isn't even over yet.

And they are giving their opinions as of this date.

People's opinions as of this date will be looked at in another context in eight days' time and then again further along the line until the end of the season (and beyond).

If people are looking at the current position negatively, so be it.

If people are looking at the current position positively, so be it.

Let them all say it.

Wouldn't we much prefer to see people's opinions (of the transfer dealings) rather than see a raft of disparaging comments about people's respective (pessimistic/optimistic) positions?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to wonder that, if there are seriously no funds, and we do need to cut wages back, what on earth are we going to do next season, and the season after, and the season after, and so on?

I'm 100% with this, and it surprises me how much this kind of thinking gets ignored.

If we are still struggling now when will it be different? Will next summer see decent investment? Do we have to wait a few years?

The thing is now its not Doug people have no problem just coasting along surviving. And I guarantee some of those were holding the £ signs years ago. Now it makes you think if we're happy being a nothing club what was all the fuss about before Lerner arrived.

We wanted Doug out because we had no ambition, no financial power and couldn't compete. What's the difference now?

And the funny thing is this site is full of people laughing at other clubs signing players. Yeah, while those fans enjoy seeing their teams win and finish higher in the league we can have a smug smile at how great our finances are.

Adam Johnson was a player we could have done with, but it's unlikely a top manager like lambert would want a quality player like that :lol:

Holman and Nzogbia are just as good.

I'm starting to wonder that, if there are seriously no funds, and we do need to cut wages back, what on earth are we going to do next season, and the season after, and the season after, and so on?

I'm 100% with this, and it surprises me how much this kind of thinking gets ignored.

If we are still struggling now when will it be different? Will next summer see decent investment? Do we have to wait a few years?

The thing is now its not Doug people have no problem just coasting along surviving. And I guarantee some of those were holding the £ signs years ago. Now it makes you think if we're happy being a nothing club was what all the fuss about before Lerner arrived.

We wanted Doug out because we had no ambition, no financial power and couldn't compete. What's the difference now?

And the funny thing is this site is full of people laughing at other clubs signing players. Yeah, while those fans enjoy seeing their teams win and finish higher in the league we can have a smug smile at how great our finances are.

Adam Johnson was a player we could have done with, but it's unlikely a top manager like lambert would want a quality player like that :lol:

Mate can you not post without mentioning doug ellis!!!!???

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The thing is now its not Doug people have no problem just coasting along surviving. And I guarantee some of those were holding the £ signs years ago. Now it makes you think if we're happy being a nothing club was what all the fuss about before Lerner arrived.

Yeah sorry.

Guess its easier to be a massive hypocrite and post how happy I am just trying to survive in the premiership.

Would that be better?

Yeah sorry.

Guess its easier to be a massive hypocrite and post how happy I am just trying to survive in the premiership.

Would that be better?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah sorry.

Would that be better?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Probably the same noise lerner makes during the transfer window.

Got a tattoo though so yay Randy!!!

Big John is 100% correct in my opinion. It looks like (although there is still a week to go) our ambition is to survive and I think ATM we are penny pinching trying to achive that.

If this is all we've got to look forward to of corse I want Lerner out. He's invested and **** it up. If we finish the window with this squad I truly think it will be as tough a season as last year If not tougher, 1 and 2 injuries we will be totally ****.

I'm not always negative so don't judge me as one of these fans, when we got Lambert and signed KEA and Roncrete I was more than happy, but I was expecting more, because the heart has been ripped out of this side in the last 2 years and it's only just about surviving.

It's the last week to get that heart beating again...us Villa fans have seen us win 2 games in 2012...we deserve some hope.

The thing is now its not Doug people have no problem just coasting along surviving. And I guarantee some of those were holding the £ signs years ago. Now it makes you think if we're happy being a nothing club what was all the fuss about before Lerner arrived.

Well said sir.

I have said it for long time we lack ambition at the club.The think that worrys me now is that we a looseing ground from the pack from the likes of Everton,Newcastle,etc middle table teams were we should be.Clubs like the Black Cats and West Ham splash out more cash then us.It looks to me we a scrapeing the pile heaps of the bottom to sign players clubs who get promoted chase.I just dont think Randy is the best option for us anymore.This crap sell before you buy is stupid our squad is already one of the thinest in the Premier League.

The sell to buy policy doesn't bother me if it actually is in place - its the fact that we're banishing players to the U21 team for training without replacing them, or not actually making substantial improvements. Collins replaced by Vlaar I reckon will be an improvement, but that's about it, and if we aren't improving because we can't afford to, we're going to be stuck until we can afford to.

When Randy dismantles a European cup winning side, gets us relegated, signs Tony Cascerino for double the managers valuation, fails to exploit the biggest cash cow in footballing history at the right moment consigning us to perennial mediocrity, then perhaps he bares comparison with Doug.

Time for some to pick up a history book to put their warped sense of the here and now into context.

When Randy dismantles a European cup winning side, gets us relegated, signs Tony Cascerino for double the managers valuation, fails to exploit the biggest cash cow in footballing history at the right moment consigning us to perennial mediocrity, then perhaps he bares comparison with Doug.

Time for some to pick up a history book to put their warped sense of the here and now into context.

:thumb:

something just ain't quite right.

for all HDE's failings he would have sensed an "escape" from last season and stumped up some dosh.

I don't know whether confidence has been lost by the paymasters as to all the dung we have signed in recent seasons or whether the scouts have just not been up to it but something is'nt right.

Everton and Albion seem to make a better value for money fist of it.

For all Randy's wealth we arguably signed better players under uncle doug.

I have a fear too there is just no football nous at board level.

My suspicion is that if we had the record in the transfer market Arsenal have had....Randy would be falling over himself offering the manager money to spend.

A big concern now is that interview with Lambert sounded (for me anyway) like he hadn't got anything on the go or was about to happen.

Now he could be a great poker player and next week delight us all with a few good signings but the main thing is that when he gave that interview he would have known or had a good idea the Gary Gardner knee was gone and so was going to be out for the season.

With GG fit we still needed and least 2 players just compete imo, we now need to replace GG as well. He knew that but his message was one that has puts doubt in my mind as to whether or not can deliver transfer targets.

He has a massive season ahead with the lack of depth in this squad, changing the way the team plays, managing the paying fans expectations etc. If Randy has (who knows?) given him the okay to spend and he doesn't then I hope for all our sakes (and sanity) that he is as good as he thinks he is.

I wouldn't be too worried about PL not acting like we've got people lined up. Remember that he insisted Roncrete had just been over for a little chat and it turned out he was just being cagey. Even if he had 5 players lined up for next week he'd still be saying that we may or may not bring someone else in before the window closes.