General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

I'm still hopeful 2-3 players will arrive next week, if not its another long hard season. If there isn't any ambition, I have no idea why Lambert took the job, as it will be almost impossible.

But if there isn't, Lerner should put the club on the market...we will see, this time next week.

:thumb:

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please someone relatively ITK tell me that we are not interested in Owen. An injury prone has been that is more interested in horse racing than football. Does not fit the young, hungry criteria at all.

I'm pretty sure Lambert made a pretty clear statement about 6 weeks ago that he was not interested in Michael Owen.

The difference as I see it between Ellis and Lerner is that Lerner before was willing to pay the transfer fees and wages, but he getting in line with Doug on the wages now. That has cost us momentum, since we were stuck with a lot of players on silly wages. Hopefully when the wages are under control, we can go back into investing in fees again.

I agree that we need to keep wages under control, but if it turns out he is not willing to invest in fees to get better, then we are going nowhere fast and he needs to sell up.

Please someone relatively ITK tell me that we are not interested in Owen. An injury prone has been that is more interested in horse racing than football. Does not fit the young, hungry criteria at all.

I'm pretty sure Lambert made a pretty clear statement about 6 weeks ago that he was not interested in Michael Owen.

I hope so. To wait until the last week of the window when the squad needs a striker, then to sign one who has been on a free the whole time, would be an odd decision.

Still fingers crossed we surprise everyone by signing Carroll as soon as Lverpool find a goal scorer they want to sign. Hey, Michael Owen is available. They'd love him there.

We will be fine this season and will tick most of the boxes that most of us wanted when PL was appointed.

In terms of signings we are a couple short (well 4-5) but I don't buy and never have, the notion that you have to spend big. Terms such as 'significant investment' 'marquee signing' ' flex our financial muscle' get used a lot and fans are getting frustrated we are not buying big, but personally I'd rather us find the players at minimal cost, hell most of the players that have large price tags attached to them are media darlings rather than terrific players anyhow.

We should enjoy the football this season, enjoy the thrill of taking it to teams that last season we didn't even turn up against.

It's a team game so I am more concerened about the 'value' of the team at the end of the season than the value of an individual player on the day of signing. If you look at teams like Arsenal and Man U, it's always seemed to me that if they play a weakened team by taking out 4 or so stars they still perform to win and play the same style, this is down to the coaching, winning mentality etc and proves that's where the value is and not necessarily in the individual's.

Get behind the team lads today like I know you will, put your concerns to one side and enjoy the ride - I'm buzzing now, roll on cheering that team across the line at 15:00 and roaring them on for 90 minutes. I've got karaoke lined up for later, but sod it I'll lose my voice down villa park instead ????

It's crossed my mind several times that we do not know all the facts behind Lerners financial position, however it is safe to assume here is a man who has since he bought villa, been ravaged financially on a few fronts. This may be behind the sale of The Browns.

We know when the Lerners sold MBNA to Bank of America, much of their payout was in the form of shares which at the time were about $60 each.They now sit at about $8 per share. A massive hit on paper. Then came the divorce which could have hit Lerner hard.

There is also the small matter of the £250m he's already pumped into AVFC with no sign of any return anytime soon.

Add all this together and you can see why there is minimal cash available. Of course I may be wrong, but time is running out this window and the signs are we're done.

something just ain't quite right.

for all HDE's failings he would have sensed an "escape" from last season and stumped up some dosh.

I don't know whether confidence has been lost by the paymasters as to all the dung we have signed in recent seasons or whether the scouts have just not been up to it but something is'nt right.

Everton and Albion seem to make a better value for money fist of it.

For all Randy's wealth we arguably signed better players under uncle doug.

I have a fear too there is just no football nous at board level.

We've gone some way of correcting that with the appointment of Lambert and an overhaul of the coaching staff (including the setting up of a proper scouting network). We can't possibly say whether Randy isn't going to stump up money because the window isn't over yet.

CI, is that true about those share prices going from 60 dollars to 8 dollars? Or is this just more of your usual bollocks? :-)

Anyway... the lack of transfer activity is seriously pissing me off! Lerner wanted the wage bill down, that's fine BUT he still has to invest in the team. How the **** are we meant to compete when the squad needs rebuilding and we are obviously operating on a sell to buy basis!?! After what we have had to witness over the last two years you would think Lerner would want to rebuild bridges with the fans. I'm not asking for Man City mega millions but with our current squad and the lack of transfer activity he isn't really giving Lambert a proper chance! Lambert is working with his arms tied behind his back and his shoelaces tied together! If nothing happens before the window closes we will struggle... AGAIN!!! I get wound up just thinking about it.

Posted some quotes from Mat Kendricks article in some of the other threads (the whole thing is available in the Cresswell thread). Lambert on new signings:

Lambert, who also ended surprise speculation linking Villa with moves for Tottenham’s Jermain Defoe and Stoke’s Kenwyne Jones, is still on the lookout for players to bolster his squad in the next week.

“I don’t think you ever stop looking to improve everywhere,” he said.

“We’ve only had one game, so we’re still finding our feet of what the team’s like. But in time players might come in so that’s what we’ll have to look at.

“Do I expect signings? I don’t know. I know what can happen, it can go right up to the last minute so we’ll just have to wait and see.’’

Asked if any incoming business was subject to players leaving, Lambert added: “If someone becomes available and I think it’s worthwhile then we’ll have that conversation.

“I’m pretty sure the chairman would listen to any ideas I have. I’ve had good conversations with him and there’s not a problem.

“Randy Lerner’s been great, him and Paul Faulkner. They’ve been really, really fine.”

In the article Lambert says:

- We are looking at Cresswell as well as many other left backs

- Dunne isnt going to Stoke

- We arent getting Kenwyne Jones or Defoe

- Warnock is in the reserves but isn't beyond redeeming himself.

Not much we didnt already know

Can't believe people are still of the opinion that we aren't assigning players. No way would Lambert of come here if there was no money available. He was at a god like status at Norwich. He would of seen a villa side quite rightfully in the relegation mire. Needing a substantial investment and with overpaid has beens going through the . He quitequite rightly in my opinion is trying to get rid of the players he doesn't want before bringing in replacements.

He has signed a few cheap players that were available. Probably players he was looking at signing when at Norwich.

Also with Johnson. He had offers from spurs and Liverpool apparently. He's gone to Sunderland to be closer to home. From what I've heard he wouldn't if met the criteria set by Lambert. He's a big time Charlie who gets on the piss far to much and even Mancini who must have the patience of a saint to persevere with balotelli couldn't control him.