The Last Of Us

Swerbs

Just finished this.

Id say it was probably the most immersive and engaging game I have played. 

Now Im not saying it was the best game play wise (although it would not be topped by many) its just that I was absorbed by the whole experience, which is rare outside of books IMO.

As for the ending (and I dont think Im giving anything away here) I cant blame the choice at all; It fitted the game well!

• 6 months later...

Definitely going to pick this up again. Would be worth it alone just to go through the single player in 1080p, but there's also not any good third person shooters for multiplayer right now and I loved the LoU  MP

• 3 months later...

Out in just over a week.

Who's picking it up?

I think I'll wait til I can get it second hand. Definitely want to play it though as it gets incredibly amazing reviews. Just can't justify it as a day 1 purchase at the minute as I've not got the time to get into it. 

This and GTA5 are the two games I wanted to play but missed out on the PS3.

Will be getting it eventually but I always wait for them to come down in price, cant justify paying £20+ for games when I've got 4 kids to feed.

Not heard one person say a bad thing about it so I'm looking forward to it. Got Second Son and Black Flag to get through first.

It is a truly fantastic game. The story and the way it is told through the stunning graphics and top notch acting is quite comfortably the most compelling I have seen in a game.

It is a truly fantastic game. The story and the way it is told through the stunning graphics and top notch acting is quite comfortably the most compelling I have seen in a game.

Not a patch on Red Dead Redemption for me I'm afraid.  That for me was the finest in game experience I've ever had, and I was genuinely saddened to finish it. 

Last of Us and RDR both very good games, amongst the best ever for drawing you in to the world, and getting you attached to the characters, up there with Rugrats: Search for Reptar in that respect.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 2

I know you're not really a fan of Naughty Dog.

**** I have tried to avoid direct spoilers, but take heed if you haven't played either game!****

As to Red Dead, I would say that too is easily one of my favourite games of all time. There were so many little touches and I have to say, that the way the ending set itself up with the family missions, I had a horrible feeling.

Very Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Rockstar games give you a grand exprience and there are tonnes of characters, most of them a bit cartoonish for our amusement. While I think Marston is very well flshed out and acted, in respect of relationships, there isn't really another character who interacts in the same depth as him. I always thought they missed an opportunity with Bonnie and everything was left unspoken.

I think the way you see the relationship between Ellie and Joel evolve is pretty unique and pretty powerful at times. I am referring to the change in Joel's viewing of Ellie post-encounter with Dave(!) as a good example.

Plus Joel shoots a bloke in his c**k.

I love them both, but I do have a fondness for the way Naughty Dog spin a yarn.

I've just seen that they're planning on doing a The Last of Us movie.

Now before I get into this, no one would love this movie to be amazing more than me. I love games, I love movies, I love TLOU and the gaming community has been crying out for a really good video game movie adaptation for a long time.

But we haven't come close to that in my opinion, and I want TLOU (and Uncharted since they're supposedly making an Uncharted movie too) to be absolutely summer blockbuster-stunning, but there haven't been enough middle of the road video game movies yet, so it's too big a jump.

I'm happy to hear Naughty Dog are involved and it's their writer that's penning the script. They also have clout when it comes to casting and other important decisions, but I still think it won't work.

Firstly, I don't think we need a movie. I know Hollywood and doubtlessly Naughty Dog will have dollar signs in their eyes, and that there will be plenty of people who would never get to experience the story if it stayed as a game, but still there are better ways. I'd actually prefer a CG movie using the original cast and graphics (maybe even improved graphics) to use original cut scenes and then create new scenes to replace the gameplay. I know fewer non-gamers would see it and it wouldn't get as much attention, but I genuinely think it's be better than a Live Action film.

I've also seen the two names touted for Joel and Ellie: Bruce Campbell and Game of Thrones' own Arya Stark - Maisie Williams.

I don't know much about Bruce Campbell admittedly, but he doesn't look right for the part of Joel. He looks too old, and I was actually concerned they might put someone too young in the role like a Mark Wahlberg or someone. I may be in the minority here too, but I don't think Maisie Williams is a very good actor, and that coupled with the fact she'd presumably be putting on an American accent and I'm not very impressed. Casting anyone but Ellen Page will be weird, but she's too old for the role (though they are increasing Ellie's age from 14 apparently which is another thing I'm not all that thrilled about). I just think it'd be hard to cast Ellie, and if Maisie Williams is the frontrunner then that's a disappointment.

To end my rant, I'm also going to say that the fact that notorious childhood dream-slayer Sam Raimi is also producing the damn thing. Apparently he's not quite content at humiliating Spider-man and the Venom Symbiote storyline, so now he's taking something else I love so he can shit all over that too.

Okay, rant over.

Edited by Ginko

I agree to an extent. I agree that Bruce Campbell looks too old for the part and doesn't suit the gruff nature of Joel. I disagree that Maisie Williams is not a good actress though. I think she's really good but it would be weird seeing her as Ellie.

I don't think the Last of Us should be made into a movie at all, but if they do do it, get unknown actors that are right for the role.

So it's going to be a movie version of the game, with Joel and Ellie, not a movie set in the Last of Us 'universe'? That's confirmed?

Â