The Last Of Us

Swerbs

Haha I've been really looking forward to this game, hid away from reviews etc and was avoiding this thread because I thought you'd all be having in-depth plot spoiler discussions :D But you've all been very respectful.

Just this second completed my first play through on normal (And I think it will be the first of quite a few)

I thought it was fantastic, really bought in to the whole story and lived every moment.

I will add a spoiler, it's not really a plot spoiler but it's something that happens near the end of the game -

giraffe.jpg

EDIT

Ah there's a new game plus is there? Didn't know that

:D I see it's the game with all the stuff you had last time

Edited by 8pints

Haha I've been really looking forward to this game, hid away from reviews etc and was avoiding this thread because I thought you'd all be having in-depth plot spoiler discussions :D But you've all been very respectful.

Just this second completed my first play through on normal (And I think it will be the first of quite a few)

I thought it was fantastic, really bought in to the whole story and lived every moment.

I will add a spoiler, it's not really a plot spoiler but it's something that happens near the end of the game -

giraffe.jpg

EDIT

Ah there's a new game plus is there? Didn't know that

:D I see it's the game with all the stuff you had last time

Spot on.

Really enjoyed it although I should have spread it out rather than hammering it out over the weekend.

Multi players a bit rubbish so will be trading in. If anybody wants multiplayer dlc codes for bonus weapons etc let me know as I won't be using them!

Really enjoyed it although I should have spread it out rather than hammering it out over the weekend.

Yes, this is what I'm feeling now. I did it all in sixteen and half hours gaming time, which seems to be around a similar time to quite a few people.

I thought I'd been quite thorough looking for all the collectibles but upon having a look through I missed loads! :(

I think this

game+ (I'm not even sure this is a spoiler it's probably common knowledge this mode exists

:) But just in case) will give me a chance to go through again and have a look for stuff, so I'll definitely play through one more time. However because of this wish to spread it out we share, I'm leaving it for a bit.

Multi players a bit rubbish so will be trading in. 

I've only had a brief go at multiplayer and it seemed ok, I got battered! :D I get the feeling the more you play it, the more points you acquire the more formidable you can become.

Multiplayer's a lot better with a good team. Teamwork is pretty essential since bullets are scarce and you can't usually Rambo your team to a win

Just experienced that very thing. Was in a team where the others were 'Every-man for himself' and got blown to bits, then joined a team where we all worked together and went around as one and had great success.

I think I prefer Supply Raid to Survivor.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it was overrated at all. It definitely starts off a bit slow but just gets better and better as the game progresses. I usually don't care about a games storyline but this had me hooked.

As with all Naughty Dog games the voice acting was incredible. Probably the best I've ever seen.

I'm giving it the number 2 spot of game of the genration (RDR being number 1).

I think they put a lot of effort in to casting, and it pays off wonderfully.

Having polished off P3FES, I've gone back to this now. It's better than I remember, actually :) Perhaps the above is true though, and it gets better as you go on.

Finally finished it

Liked the ending a whole bunch. It was a brave move making the character you've been playing as for the majority of the game the bad guy, and for me it was perfect for the tone the game as a whole had.

I don't think a sequel is necessary, story wise. I mean, if the cordyceps (where does that term come from? Of all places, the last time I heard it was in .hack) mutated in Ellie, it'll mutate again, presumably.

The human story was a triumph though. Joel's struggle to identify with this girl, not wanting to repeat the lose of his daughter, and slowly coming to love her and do anything to save her played out to perfection. The tension between the two at the end was palpable.

I still don't believe it's game of the gen, but it's right up there. A must for any PS3 owner.

Finally finished it

Liked the ending a whole bunch. It was a brave move making the character you've been playing as for the majority of the game the bad guy, and for me it was perfect for the tone the game as a whole had.

I don't think a sequel is necessary, story wise. I mean, if the cordyceps (where does that term come from? Of all places, the last time I heard it was in .hack) mutated in Ellie, it'll mutate again, presumably.

The human story was a triumph though. Joel's struggle to identify with this girl, not wanting to repeat the lose of his daughter, and slowly coming to love her and do anything to save her played out to perfection. The tension between the two at the end was palpable.

I still don't believe it's game of the gen, but it's right up there. A must for any PS3 owner.

Cordyceps are an actual genus of fungi that inspired the zombies in the game.

They are a type of parasitic fungi that attack insects - usually a specific species of insect per species of the fungi - infecting the host and eventually bursting out of it with a spore filled bulbous body, killing the host. Creepily, a few species actually do do the zombie thing - they are able to affect the hosts behaviour, forcing an infected ant to climb high to better suit the parasite before it germinates from the hosts body. The BBC series Planet Earth had a quite macabre section on this with bizarre tableau of moths and beetles and ants dead with this bizarre growths issuing from their bodies and heads. Very creepy.

Ah, that's what that's called? Awesome, cheers man. Naughty Dog took the fungal thing totally literally in that regard, with the thing growing out of the head and stuff in some instances.

As for .hack, the cordyceps there was a fungus you could collect to feed your pet grunty. Like all the grunty food in the game, when you approached it they would shout their name - and as such, I find the word quite humorous, which isn't exactly appropriate, heh.

I do have an urge to replay on new game+ for more trophies and collectibles and stuff. I will at some point.

• 1 month later...

just finished it

overall I thought it was superb and really enjoyed it, found it frustrating at times, the AI isn't perfect and some of the stealthy bits are ruined by inconsistency, but the story is brilliant, id say the story and level design are as good as anything else this gen, the shooting is good, the crafting is good

my only problem with it was large sections just weren't what I was expecting, too much fighting humans not enough zombies, it also took me far too long to realise how good the bow was!

probably not best game of the gen, easily my top 5 though with the uncharted series in there too so naughty dog haven't done too badly

agree that I wouldn't like a sequel, wouldn't mind them using the same set up with a different story though, pretty much the same as the world war z film, they could expand it any way they want

I found far cry became too much by the end, too open, too much free play leaving a decent but fairly disjointed main story

doesn't usually bother me that much but the last of us trophies are pretty poor, would like to give it a couple more play throughs but don't know if I can be bothered

Far Cry 3's open world is a lot better than the main storyline.

Replayed Last of Us. It's a lot more frustrating on harder difficulties, but I played it out without the vision system and that's the way it should be played IMO.

Â