The Last Of Us

Swerbs

Has anyone played the Left Behind add-on? Any good?

To answer my own question, it was quite good. Much more cut-scene focused than the main game but when the action does heat up it's just as intense and pulse quickening.

Really loved TLOU but by the same token I'm happy to have my life back!

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party, but I put a couple of hours into this tonight and it's fantastic!

Was a bit wary early on as it just seemed to be a movie where you pressed a button every now and then, but once you get into it it's great.

• Like 2

I was bored with the first few hours and it went down hill after that.  I sort of get the whole cut scene interspersed with a bit of gameplay thing, I just found the gameplay deathly dull for the same reasons I'm not a fan of the Uncharted games.  Not a patch on RDR or Arkham City in my humble opinion.

I finally got round to playing this after a break from gaming and finished it last week (on PS3). I thought it was fantastic. The storyline, graphics, gameplay and screenplay (better than some Hollywood movies even) made it the best game I played on the PS3. A more grown up version of Uncharted. The AI at times was a little odd but overall, as Ingram put it, it was Superb.

Yep, it was truly fantastic and comfortably one of the best games I've ever played. There isn't another game out there with such depth to be relationship between the characters.

Looking forward to having another stab at it on the PS4.

Yep, it was truly fantastic and comfortably one of the best games I've ever played. There isn't another game out there with such depth to be relationship between the characters.

Looking forward to having another stab at it on the PS4.

See, that was sort of my problem with it. If I want depth of relationships, I'll watch a film. The gameplay felt bolted on to the cut scenes to me.

I thought the whole narrative was well executed and I particularly like how the he people tended to be the biggest monsters.

The story is linear, but it gives you free reign to execute a particular section how you want too.

I am not sure I can agree that the story isn't important. If you don't have an interesting narrative behind what you're doing, then the gameplay is pointless. If John Marston wasn't so well fleshed out then RDR wouldn't be a quarter of the game it is, with such a great ending.

I was bored with the first few hours and it went down hill after that. I sort of get the whole cut scene interspersed with a bit of gameplay thing, I just found the gameplay deathly dull for the same reasons I'm not a fan of the Uncharted games. Not a patch on RDR or Arkham City in my humble opinion.

If you're judging things against RDR then you're always going to be disappointed.

I'm only a few hours into this and I love it. The cutscenes were getting a bit dull at the start, I found myself thinking "yep, OK, I'd actually like to play something now"

But once its got going its great. But to be fair maybe it will get repetitive. We'll see.

I find myself insisting on trying to do everything stealthily.

I have to keep reminding myself that it isn't Assassins Creed or Splinter Cell.

I find myself wanting to re-play encounters because I got spotted and had to use my gun, even though it's impossible to not use it in certain situations.

I'm also finding combat against humans to be the only thing repetitive about this so far.

Hide behind a sofa, wait for them to come to you, strangle them. 

Even when you get spotted, you can still run off and let them come to you.

Fighting the infected is much more challenging imo, at least at the moment. The one hit kills of the clickers makes it much more tactical.

Although empty bottle followed by a molotov is a pretty simple way to clear most rooms.

Still working my way through this and loving it.

It's not without it's flaws though (I think this is spoiler free, I'm not finished the game myself yet anyway so won't give anything away)

The scavenging is both excellent and annoying. I love the fact that resources are so sparse and you have to collect things to manage to survive. But at the same time, I feel like it really interrupts the flow of the story because I spend so much time scouring every corner of the area for parts or ammo. I guess you can't have one without the other.

My other problem with it is it's too safe once you clear an area. I just feel it's too obvious when you've killed everything. Ellie will usually declare "phew that was close" or "We got them all" and then you know that you're free to walk around the area you're in freely with no risk of getting attacked until you find whatever door or ledge you need to get to to open up the next area.

I think the tension would be much higher if you were never completely safe, and it would fit in with the world much better too. I'm not saying you should be constantly swarmed with infected, that would be rubbish. But the threat of them appearing should always be there, imo.

I also didn't like the

random time leap between Michael and Walt getting killed and Ellie and Joel suddenly being where Tommy is. That annoyed me too, but is a pretty minor point. This is the part of the game I've gotten to now

So yeah, looking forward to finishing it over christmas. it's excellent. I do think it falls short of being the best game of that generation which some people are claiming.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â