Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, AndyBM said:

c'mon brucey, all the managers before cant be wrong, gabby is beyond awful and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

I have said this before- Houllier was the first to see through him and if not for his own unfortunate health issues - who knows where Gabby's future might have been.

10 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

A simple question but does anyone here think he will score a goal this season? I don't.

If we're 0-0 V Preston, and in the 90th minute we're presented with a clear 1 on 1 opportunity, Villa Player V Preston GK, who would you choose between:

1) Our Striker - Gabby

2) Our Centre Back - James Chester

3) Our under-performing, confidence stricken midfielder - Westwood

Edited by philgetaway

10 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

A simple question but does anyone here think he will score a goal this season? I don't.

If he played every game then he probably would get one or two.

But my answer is no because I hope that we will "need" him less and less.

45 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

If we're 0-0 V Preston, and in the 90th minute we're presented with a clear 1 on 1 opportunity, Villa Player V Preston GK, who would you choose between:

1) Our Striker - Gabby

That is actually quite a good question and I did think about it for quite a long time.  For me it is a bit of a Hobsons choice as I think on balance the goalkeeper is favorite  in all three scenarios.  The no brainer for me is that Westwood is dead last.  So it is between Chester and Gabby.  Chester appears to have a good calm head on his shoulders and is not awful in the technique department, but he is hardly likely to have practiced one on one goal scoring opportunities that often.  Gabby as a career striker of many years experience, as limited as he is, has been there a lot of times before and if he has no time to think about it I would probably back him to let instinct take over and hit the target.  If Gabby has time and has to take a touch before shooting then I'm going with Chester.

Edited by Straggler
grammar
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Straggler said:

That is actually quite a good question and I did think about it for quite a long time.  For me it is a bit of a Hobsons choice as I think on balance the goalkeeper is favorite  in all three scenarios.  The no brainer for me is that Westwood is dead last.  So it is between Chester and Gabby.  Chester appears to have a good calm head on his shoulders and is not awful in the technique department, but he is hardly likely to have practiced one on one goal scoring opportunities that often.  Gabby as a career striker of many years experience, as limited as he is, has been there a lot of times before and if he has no time to think about it I would probably back him to let instinct take over and hit the target.  If Gabby has time and has to take a touch before shooting then it then I'm going with Chester.

Great answer mate - completely agree.  I think you've hit the nail on the head when you've suggested that the goalkeeper would be favourite against all three.  I think it's widely accepted that the striker should have the advantage in such a scenario, and that is the problem.  The fact that we're even considering Chester puts it into perspective.  I just can't imagine Gabby scoring the sort of the goal that Lincoln City lad did the other night.

I'd back Kodja, Ross McCormack everyday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Great answer mate - completely agree.  I think you've hit the nail on the head when you've suggested that the goalkeeper would be favourite against all three.  I think it's widely accepted that the striker should have the advantage in such a scenario, and that is the problem.  The fact that we're even considering Chester puts it into perspective.  I just can't imagine Gabby scoring the sort of the goal that Lincoln City lad did the other night.

I'd back Kodja, Ross McCormack everyday.

Yeah, Gabby is a far cry from watching Yorke gliding towards a keeper.  You could start celebrating before the shot was taken with Yorkie as in a 1 on 1 it was not even fair on the keeper.  It makes me a combination of sad and angry watching him play these days.  I want to remember the player that scored the winner at Old Trafford, but the rather desperate performances now remind me more of watching my dad on a dance floor.  He may once have known a few moves, but he was never John Travolta and now he is just embarrassing himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philgetaway said:

1) Our Striker - Gabby

2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

Edited by rubberman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, philgetaway said:

1) Our Striker - Gabby

The fact that question is even worthy of debate tells you everything you nee to know. 

8 hours ago, philgetaway said:

1) Our Striker - Gabby

0-0 at Preston would be a good result at the moment.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

if we had gabby running into the box, with the ball, and only the keeper to beat (who has only recently got back on his feet after suffering a massive coronary and losing his sight), the rest of the opposing team slumped in our half with symptoms of dengue fever, and with the rules temporarily changed to allow the attacking team to actually pick up the ball and place it carefully into the goal......

.....I would give gabby maybe a 50-50 chance of scoring

You made me laugh 

Up until about two years ago I thought of Gabby as a club hero, from the area, one club player, our leading PL goalscorer etc. Limited player, but still a hero. But then because of his gradual decline and then his unacceptable behaviour last year I changed my mind, thought he was a disgrace and wanted him out of the club, and still do btw.

However, reflecting on it I actually think that Bruce has handled the situation in a really good and responsible way. He has apparently managed to motivate him (which the previous four mangers couldn't) got him into shape and I guess he is one of the hardest workers in training as he starts the games (can't be of ability in any case). I think that the alternative to ban him from the first team is worse, having an Nzogbia situation with one of the highest payed players being paria, placed among the kids, not caring at all but still hanging around the team. That just creates such bad tension and is demoralizing for the whole club. From an employer perspective, the way Bruce has handled the situation is very responsible. Who knows, perhaps he might even score a goal, or attracts interest from another club, against Cardiff his cameo was actually not that bad and almost even scored. Now what I don't agree with Bruce on is that he is starting, and for example that he didn't take Gabby of earlier against Leeds or what team it now was. But all in all I really respect Bruce for the way he has handled this.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Up until about two years ago I thought of Gabby as a club hero, from the area, one club player, our leading PL goalscorer etc. Limited player, but still a hero. But then because of his gradual decline and then his unacceptable behaviour last year I changed my mind, thought he was a disgrace and wanted him out of the club, and still do btw.

However, reflecting on it I actually think that Bruce has handled the situation in a really good and responsible way. He has apparently managed to motivate him (which the previous four mangers couldn't) got him into shape and I guess he is one of the hardest workers in training as he starts the games (can't be of ability in any case). I think that the alternative to ban him from the first team is worse, having an Nzogbia situation with one of the highest payed players being paria, placed among the kids, not caring at all but still hanging around the team. That just creates such bad tension and is demoralizing for the whole club. From an employer perspective, the way Bruce has handled the situation is very responsible. Who knows, perhaps he might even score a goal, or attracts interest from another club, against Cardiff his cameo was actually not that bad and almost even scored. Now what I don't agree with Bruce on is that he is starting, and for example that he didn't take Gabby of earlier against Leeds or what team it now was. But all in all I really respect Bruce for the way he has handled this.

I don't and in my humble opinion it's a decision which is already looking like it's going to bite him on the bum. He needs a plan B and mighty quick or those play off's on the horizon will stay exactly that.

On 1/19/2017 at 09:53, philgetaway said:

1) Our Striker - Gabby

The best chance we've got of scoring in that situation is a GK own goal........

• Like 1

Â