Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

23 hours ago, KSV said:

He deserves to prove himself in pre season. If he can find his goal scoring touch then great.. 

No, he doesn't He is one of very few players that does NOT deserve a 15th chance.

• Like 3

If we can get rid of all the hated ones from last season then great. However its unlikely to happen. As Gueye Gil Ayew Veretout Adama are likely to leave.. those fantastic five or six that gave up last season.. may not have many buyers. 

Personally I hope we sell Gabby Lescott Richards Bacuna Sinclair Hutton Sanchez. It won't happen. We are going to lose a few of them.. and we will be stuck with another few. At least Gabby is working hard training to try and rectify it as I haven't seen the other doing it. if we are going to keep a few then so be it. If RDM thinks he can make a difference then he probably earnt it in training or pre season.

Realistically we are going to lose a few from column A and column B and be stuck with a few not wanted. I don't want the anger from last season to carry over into this season.  So of they are here still and play this season.. will they get booed? Do we need that at home games as we try to come up? That's the gamble RDM will have to take if he keeps a few on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

No, he doesn't He is one of very few players that does NOT deserve a 15th chance.

In my opinion the thing only he deserves from villa is a P45 and a see you later- and some people  are actually wanting to offer credit it seems for him actually working hard pre-season! Well how very noble of a professional footballer to do such a thing. No I will say it again, please can we end this sorry saga. I wonder what the reaction from fans will be next season- if he puts his one finger to his lips after scoring one of his very rare goals- Will all be forgiven?

18 hours ago, KSV said:

deserves probably was the wrong word. But if RDM thinks he is working hard and can play a part.. then why not?

again.. i want him gone.. but RDM sees him everyday.. to me it seems he has turned a new leaf.. well at least regarding to training. Whether his football improves because of it.. time will tell. Same goes with Richards.. if he slims down.. gets a bit of pace back.. theres no reason he cant be our first choice RB in the championship. 

Last season.. attitude was poor right through the side. No idea why..  but it was. If they buy into RDM's Villa revolution.. and actually perform.. will you want them to go? They are on our books.. we are unlikely to get rid of them all.. we cant just create another bomb squad. 

I agree and have said similar ish before.

I'm also realistic about the prospect of anyone wanting to take people like Ga

bby off our hands.

I just took issue with the wording, as Gabby doesn't deserve anything.

While the likes of Gabby may have a fresh start with RDM I don't think they will with the fans.

• Like 1

He's not going anywhere, so like it or not a Gabby that's in some sort of shape and motivated would be more useful than one that isn't. He looks in reasonable shape in pre-season which is a start of sorts, but he has a lot to prove - more than he should have for a player of his age who has been at a club for as long as he has - that's almost entirely his own fault. I hope he has a good season, because it means we're more likely to have a good season - but also because a good season might go some ways towards helping him build bridges with the fans. It's a very important three months coming up for him.

• Like 2

I agree on all that OBE except the bridges part, I think they have been torched. Even if he score 25 goals people will just say "shame he didn't do that last year we wouldn't have gone down".

Goals change things quickly and are the only thing that can in anyway redeem him now but I genuinely think it's too late for Ganny now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Even if he score 25 goals people will just say "shame he didn't do that last year we wouldn't have gone down".

I know we are in the realms of fantasy here, but if Gabby were to score 25 goals (cough, cough) I don't think I or others would say that tbh.  Football fans a pretty fickle bunch, goals and good performances would soon win the crowd over.  That said, we are talking about Gabby  so it is 'far' more likely he will score 1 to 5 goals which will not be enough for us as a team or to repair the damage. The thing we should ask is would a Ross McCormack, Jonathan Kodjia or Nahki Wells do better?  Of course they would so we should try to replace him, purely because we need goals.  If we can't move him, just let him fight it out with the competition to earn his place; even if he stays I don't think he will get much game time.

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree on all that OBE except the bridges part, I think they have been torched. Even if he score 25 goals people will just say "shame he didn't do that last year we wouldn't have gone down".

Goals change things quickly and are the only thing that can in anyway redeem him now but I genuinely think it's too late for Ganny now.

If he scores 25 goals and get us promoted I will certainly forgive him :thumb:

But there is more chance of me growing wings and flying around villa Park

• Like 3

There's no way back for Gabby now from me.  His attitude last season was disgusting,  especially at a time when we needed leadership and he was one of the most experienced players. 

When the apparent club captain,  longest serving player and a player who claims to love the club treats it with such disregard,  it's no wonder other players played like they didn't care.   He's a terrible example to have in the dressing room.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's not going anywhere, so like it or not a Gabby that's in some sort of shape and motivated would be more useful than one that isn't. He looks in reasonable shape in pre-season which is a start of sorts, but he has a lot to prove - more than he should have for a player of his age who has been at a club for as long as he has - that's almost entirely his own fault. I hope he has a good season, because it means we're more likely to have a good season - but also because a good season might go some ways towards helping him build bridges with the fans. It's a very important three months coming up for him.

You think!

I think for me Gabby as a person is written off, I don't like him and I never will now. However, me not liking him is not a pre-requisite for playing football, so if by some miracle he manages to get fit, work hard, fight for a place and then score some goals or assist with some... Then that's good for the team, and good for Aston Villa, so that's good for me. I still won't like him, but if (that's a big IF) he can make himself an asset then I see no reason why we shouldn't benefit from it rather than some other team. He owes Villa a lot, and it's time he started paying us back, but he can't do that playing for another team. Although I do agree that he's unlikely to be good enough to play for us, my dislike of him and my opinion of his footballing ability are two separate things. One can't change now, but it is possible that at some point that I could concede that he has clawed back some fitness and work rate, and I could tolerate his presence in the side. (Lots of if's there though).

• Like 1

I mean Cameron ***** Jerome has scored 20 in the Championship twice and Gabby is twice the player he is (not saying much but still). He's definitely not good enough for the PL anymore, but a fit and motivated Gabby is no doubt an asset in the Championship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Gabby won't score more than 10 goals this season if he stays.

In the last 11 years he has only scored more than 10 league goals on three occasions .

His record is , 1, 9, 11, 11, 13, 3, 5, 9 , 4, 6, 1

That is abysmal for a striker and arguably the first half of that period was when he had his strongest quality (mostly pace). Any qualities he would have had have waned in the second half of that period so I think it's fair to say he will not be scoring anywhere like 10 goals next season if he stays with us,  he just does not have it in himself

Â