Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

On 06/08/2017 at 18:29, Dave J said:

Hey Rob  with the absolute very greatest of respect - do you genuinely  think holding up the ball has nothing to do with having a good first touch ?

having played striker myself for many years I would challenge this view point.

if you don't have a good first touch and the ball bounces away from you - you don't hold the ball up.

Now as for Gabby - yes he is quick and I actually think he's reasonable in the air given his size - but a good touch ? I doubt even his most ardent followers would claim this much ?? Or maybe they do.

How often is 'first touch' referred to as heading the ball?

Yes, if we're being completely literal then a hoofed ball onto your head would result in the header being the 'first touch', but first touch is almost always referred to when collecting the ball on the floor.

I would definitely say that holding up the ball is not the same as first touch. Holding up the ball is more about strength, presence, heading, holding off a defender and shielding the ball, and obviously an ability to lay the ball off 5 yards to someone else comes in handy. Good first touch would obviously help Gabby, but luckily he has an 'acceptable' level of the other attributes to get him by.

7 hours ago, Rob182 said:

How often is 'first touch' referred to as heading the ball?

Yes, if we're being completely literal then a hoofed ball onto your head would result in the header being the 'first touch', but first touch is almost always referred to when collecting the ball on the floor.

I would definitely say that holding up the ball is not the same as first touch. Holding up the ball is more about strength, presence, heading, holding off a defender and shielding the ball, and obviously an ability to lay the ball off 5 yards to someone else comes in handy. Good first touch would obviously help Gabby, but luckily he has an 'acceptable' level of the other attributes to get him by.

I only used heading the ball to highlight a positive in his game - I totally agree nothing to do with a first touch - however I would completely disagree with your view that you do not need a good first touch to hold the ball up. You absolutely do imo 

4 hours ago, mattjpa said:

TBF Gabby is absolutely ripped at the moment. Must have taken some real hard work to get in that shape, credit where its due

Would this be the very same hard work that he is literally paid thousands of ££££'s to do - in order that he can carry out the very basic requirements of his role - sorry genuinely no offence intended towards you at all - I just find it odd when credit is given and all he is doing is what he should have done all along imo - it's akin to an accountant turning up at the office without his calculator 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Admit it Dave, you secretly love him. 

Yeah I wish all my other villa hero's Shaw, Morley, Gray , MCGRATH , Sid, Cropley, Gidman, Little, Laursen , Yorke, Saunders were only half as good as him - what players they might have been ?

9 hours ago, mattjpa said:

TBF Gabby is absolutely ripped at the moment. Must have taken some real hard work to get in that shape, credit where its due

Well, he hasn't had to waste time working or playing football :-)

It doesn't matter what Gabby does now unfortunately, some people will just never forgive or forget what he has done. The bloke could score 25 goals (lol) and fire us to promotion but it will never be enough.

Kind of sad really, but I suppose he has nobody to blame but himself.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 09:39, mattjpa said:

... and he can't do more than jog after 30mins. As a professional athlete, he's a disgrace.

Â