Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He's really not "crap". 

He suffered more than anyone under Paul Lambert. He's had a lot of injuries over the past few years. When Sherwood came in and stuck him up front he performed, before suffering another injury. He has since not performed and should be dropped. However, as ever, there is a tendency amongst football fans for black and white thinking. You are either crap or brilliant and there is nothing in between, towards the end of either scale. 

Frankly I don't think he is good enough to start regularly, this will be why he is club captain and not actual captain. But the level of dislike for him is utterly laughable. 

It is not a FACT that nobody has ever inquired about him. If you think that is likely then I won't waste my breath arguing the point. What hasn't happened at any point is Gabby's agent leaking such a story, because the lad has never even contemplated leaving. Not being as good as Young, Milner or even Downing does not make a player crap. Mentioning Gabby and Doncaster in the same sentence is absurd. 

He is obviously not crap, I agree, ridiculous to say he is. But again, there is no `dislike', only an opinion that the player is no longer good enough.

Personally, I think he's a better player than Sinclair and a better player than Ayew on his showing thus far - Sinclair's form I think puts him ahead of Gabby at the moment and Ayew might come good and push for that. I don't see him as directly competing with Grealish for a place, or with Traore who will play on the right hand side. On that basis, he'd be foolish to leave and we'd be foolish to let him go in my opinion.

I don't think sentiment has kept him in the team, I don't think loyalty has and I don't think being a Villa fan has - his form isn't great, although I don't think he's been anything like as bad as is currently being talked about and I think that sadly the current 'blame Gabby' vogue means it's going to be harder for him to improve that form. 

For me, all things being even, he starts for us - that doesn't mean I'd start him currently, Sinclair is playing very well, Gabby isn't.

I think there's a certain degree of 'new toys' going on, Ayew and co. are exciting and different and we want to see them, I think that's natural - for me, there's still a role for Gabby, not based on sentiment but based on ability, I'd probably say the same about Kozak in all honesty, who I think might prove a better option than Gestede. It's hard for Gabby at the moment, he clearly cares, he clearly is feeling the pressure that's being put on him on social media and comments sections and places like this, where people will just shout 'He's shit' and consider they've enlightened and informed - he's a human being and he's having a hard time - more importantly to me, that hard time makes it harder for him to be effective for the football club.

The manager will decide ultimately, but it doesn't help the team when one of our players is subject to the abuse he's had to suffer for the last few weeks. It's not a bandwagon I'm jumping on.

• Like 2

He's really not "crap". 

He suffered more than anyone under Paul Lambert. He's had a lot of injuries over the past few years. When Sherwood came in and stuck him up front he performed, before suffering another injury. He has since not performed and should be dropped. However, as ever, there is a tendency amongst football fans for black and white thinking. You are either crap or brilliant and there is nothing in between, towards the end of either scale. 

Frankly I don't think he is good enough to start regularly, this will be why he is club captain and not actual captain. But the level of dislike for him is utterly laughable. 

It is not a FACT that nobody has ever inquired about him. If you think that is likely then I won't waste my breath arguing the point. What hasn't happened at any point is Gabby's agent leaking such a story, because the lad has never even contemplated leaving. Not being as good as Young, Milner or even Downing does not make a player crap. Mentioning Gabby and Doncaster in the same sentence is absurd. 

He is obviously not crap, I agree, ridiculous to say he is. But again, there is no `dislike', only an opinion that the player is no longer good enough.

I don't think you've read the thread fully then, either that or we need to argue the semantics of word dislike in the context of this thread. 

I think there's a certain degree of 'new toys' going on, Ayew and co. are exciting and different and we want to see them, I think that's natural

I don't agree. I would start Grealish, Gil, Traore, Gestede and Sinclair over him right now and possibly Kozak. Only 2 new toys there out of 6, both of whom have produced. 

I think there's a certain degree of 'new toys' going on, Ayew and co. are exciting and different and we want to see them, I think that's natural

I don't agree. I would start Grealish, Gil, Traore, Gestede and Sinclair over him right now and possibly Kozak. Only 2 new toys there out of 6, both of whom have produced. 

At the moment, I'd start with Traore, Grealish and Sinclair with Gestede in front - I think that's our most likely formation - for me Gil can cover Grealish's No. 10 position or Traore's right sided position - I think down the left it's a straight choice between Gabby. Sinclair and Ayew. I'd take Sinclair on form at the moment, but if they're both on form I'd go with Gabby - Ayew has a chance to upset that, but right now, he's not better than either.

I know it's not what you meant, but I wouldn't consider Gestede, Traore, Grealish or Gil as direct rivals for Gabby's position on the left - I think the desire to wedge as many of them as possible into the side is part of the new toys thing.

He's been a loyal servant to Villa over the years and nobody can take that away from him but based on his form of the last few seasons (playing out of position, or not) he's just not good enough. If an offer came in that suited him and his family to go and start a fresh challenge then I genuinely think it would be in everybody's interest now.

I think you an simplify that a bit mate, if an offer came in that suited Aston Villa, it would be best for him to go. If he's truly loyal and Tim was to say to him look I could really use that 4 million quid from Brighton to strenthen "other areas" then it would be the right thing for him to do to move on.

If however the club deems him more valuable than what anyone is willing to pay for him, which seems to be the situation at present, then I have no problem with him staying. I do have a problem with him starting on recent form, but he has scored some big big goals for us over the years and if he regains some form he can still be an asset to the squad.

I don't want to see him vilified.  He deserves more than that.  Either way, he needs to get better or to sit on the bench.  I don't mean that in a harsh way but somewhere along the lines he has had either bad luck or has lost his touch.  Maybe, just maybe, having him come on a sub will see him do what we've always wanted him to do and fight for that place and up his game.  For his career and for Villa I hope he proves the doubters wrong (me included).   

• Like 1

i can never see Gabby leaving Villa. Not based on the contract he is supposedly on.

I like Gabby, he's having a tough time and he shouldn't be starting but he's done enough good things in his time here to be afforded a bit of respect I'd love nothing more than for him to score the winner against small heath again! 

• Like 4

He's been a loyal servant to Villa over the years and nobody can take that away from him but based on his form of the last few seasons (playing out of position, or not) he's just not good enough. If an offer came in that suited him and his family to go and start a fresh challenge then I genuinely think it would be in everybody's interest now.

I think you an simplify that a bit mate, if an offer came in that suited Aston Villa, it would be best for him to go. If he's truly loyal and Tim was to say to him look I could really use that 4 million quid from Brighton to strenthen "other areas" then it would be the right thing for him to do to move on.

If however the club deems him more valuable than what anyone is willing to pay for him, which seems to be the situation at present, then I have no problem with him staying. I do have a problem with him starting on recent form, but he has scored some big big goals for us over the years and if he regains some form he can still be an asset to the squad.

Disagree, it would have to suit Gabby based on the wages he's picking up. Hypothetically speaking, even if a club offered £6m right now unless they backed it up with £60k a week he'd just turn it down. Look at Dwight Gayle at Palace and the offer from Bristol City. Gabby can't afford to make the wrong decision IF he was to move, he's at the stage of his career where he still has a lot to offer the right club. Whether that's us or someone else will play out over the rest of this season imo.

I'm not a Gabby fan, never have been even in those Halcyon days under O'Neill as some remark,don't necessarily agree with that either, but I digress.....as a person he deserves respect, if only for the the conduct he has displayed in his time with us, never been disruptive or derogatory to the club ( not to my knowledge)

I have not read the criticism of Gabby, but remember to all those detractors....He doesn't pick himself and he never has done.He must have the blessing of the Manager so on that point end of subject.

Personally I share the view that it is  the clubs fault for not employing anyone any better for the last 10 years....I've seen Gabby score some great goals, but today very few and far between.

The fact he has been a good servant is fine, but it comes to them all when they are not effective consistently( and thats subjective) its time up.

Ps In years gone by, having been very close to a first team player Villa Player for a number of years, I would refute suggestions of players not trying....They all want to do well.....sometimes it just don't happen for them.

Edited by TRO

I've got to be honest I find the whole thing quite embarrassing. The abuse he gets off Villa 'fans' on Instagram is unbelievable. Unsettling players with these kind of attacks does not help in any way and I don't see what they are trying to achieve. Everyone (me included) is quick to jump on the Delph loyalty campaign yet we have a player here who genuinely loves the football club and is victim to constant abuse. From an outsider looking in, it would look pathetic. This is a player who has won us games against our closest rivals! For that alone he should be given some respect. Not just Blues but WBA last season when we were on the brink of relegation and he dug in to get us a result. Of course there are better strikers but there are certainly a lot worse! And yes, I was the first moaning at half time at Palace. Leave it the concourse though and get behind the team. I do think he still has a lot to offer and I will be getting behind him in hope of seeing the finger on the lips celebration over the next coming months.

Here here

I really really hope Tim starts him tomorrow and he puts 1 or 2 in the onion bag!!! Come on gabby!!! My 11 year old loves ya,... Plz Don't listen to the haters!

• Like 1

Not going to be pushed into a guilt trip of retracting or modifying what I've posted about him .  He's crap.  He may give a shit,  I give a shit but i'd still be totally crap up front for Villa and I'd accept that criticism ,  especially if i was a professional and it was my job.

Have I criticised him personally? No.  Do I not think he is a fan? No. 

Ive criticised his performance for the club I support and he supports and to be honest if I was being picked for Villa and knowing I was shit I wouldnt want to let the club down,  .  If I knew that basically my performance was affecting the team I follow I'd be doing something about it.  Gabby may be a nice bloke,  may be a top fan.  Not disputing any of that,  just dont want him in the team and if we can get any cash for him id be well up for that

I'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, that this was a response to my post.

I'm not critical of people being critical of his performances or his ability, I'm critical of those things too. What I'm critical and what got my goat was the increasing level of personal abuse directed towards him on various sites including abuse directly to him on social media. I find it disgusting for the previous reasons I mentioned.

Wanting him out the team or out the club is fair enough, abusing the bloke is not acceptable in my view not that I'm suggesting you have.

• Like 2

We only get to watch the players for 90 minutes a week, Sherwood sees them everyday and picks the team on that basis. I do think Gabby would however get some relief from being took out of the firing line for a game ,  rested would be a nice way of putting it.

From a personnel point of view.....Gabby's more Villa than any other player in our team. I'm sure he knows hes not playing well and that must hurt him at least as much as it does us.

Not crap, just out of form but hes Villa through and through + hes bound to score against SHA. UTV 

At the moment, I'd start with Traore, Grealish and Sinclair with Gestede in front - I think that's our most likely formation - for me Gil can cover Grealish's No. 10 position or Traore's right sided position - I think down the left it's a straight choice between Gabby. Sinclair and Ayew. I'd take Sinclair on form at the moment, but if they're both on form I'd go with Gabby - Ayew has a chance to upset that, but right now, he's not better than either.

I know it's not what you meant, but I wouldn't consider Gestede, Traore, Grealish or Gil as direct rivals for Gabby's position on the left - I think the desire to wedge as many of them as possible into the side is part of the new toys thing.

Grealish can play anywhere across that line and still be our best player and just as influential, in my opinion. He's not a winger, but then neither are Gabby or Sinclair.

Right now I'd much rather see;

Adama------Gil------Grealish

Than any combination that includes Gabby or Ayew, to be perfectly honest. Though I also agree Sinclair has to start on Saturday. They can bide their time, there will be enough to go around, what is most important is that we win a few football matches. Every football match if we can help it. That's not me trying to wedge players in at all, it's about who I think will perform.

We only get to watch the players for 90 minutes a week, Sherwood sees them everyday and picks the team on that basis. I do think Gabby would however get some relief from being took out of the firing line for a game , rested would be a nice way of putting it.

From a personnel point of view.....Gabby's more Villa than any other player in our team. I'm sure he knows hes not playing well and that must hurt him at least as much as it does us.

Not crap, just out of form but hes Villa through and through + hes bound to score against SHA. UTV

He's been out of form for quite some time then IMO.

Ive had enough of this idea of managers picking players based on training over matchday performances. I could get down with it if we got points for training good. We might not see them all week but what we do see is the only bit that counts. nonsensical argument to me.

Â