Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Why doesn't he? That squad he took over was a pile of shit and he has had peanuts to spend. Yet we survive. So how did we manage that? Bentake, that's how. Who signed him?

Come on, that's a weak argument and you know it. If he had done his job better we wouldn't have been so deep in the mire that we would've needed one player to drag us to safety.

Also, is that "shit" squad the same one we all lambasted McLeish for underacheiving with? The same one that contained players that everyone is saying makes our team better again now that his absurd 'bomb-squad' policy has been abandoned?

Anyway, I have these arguments numerous times now and they always end in a complete stalemate. I'm sure you'll find my response to the points you're about to follow this post up with in the Lambert thread.

Why doesn't he? That squad he took over was a pile of shit and he has had peanuts to spend. Yet we survive. So how did we manage that? Bentake, that's how. Who signed him?

Come on, that's a weak argument and you know it. If he had done his job better we wouldn't have been so deep in the mire that we would've needed one player to drag us to safety.

Also, is that "shit" squad the same one we all lambasted McLeish for underacheiving with? The same one that contained players that everyone is saying makes our team better again now that his absurd 'bomb-squad' policy has been abandoned?

Anyway, I have these arguments numerous times now and they always end in a complete stalemate. I'm sure you'll find my response to the points you're about to follow this post up with in the Lambert thread.

I actually think Mcleish did a good job too. I personally think it's MONs 'squad' and the selling of key players that led us to this downfall. The same investment had to be put back in, in relation to the massively key players that were sold. That includes wages too.

But it wasn't. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Lambert but I'm grateful we are still in this league. I've seen better squads relegated in that time.

Fair enough and I agree that Lambert could done even worse but staying up is the minimum requirement for me. The circumstances have been challenging without doubt but not in my opinion not so much that I'd consider him keeping us up some sort of achievement.

Like someone mentioned he was doing fine up until the Liverpool away game. At that stage of the season he had 4 goals and 5 assists in 18 games and had also won us a few penos.  He is not the type of character to turn to when things are going bad and he just becomes part of the problem rather than stepping up and showing an example to other players.  I have hopes that if we are more solid this year and pose more of a threat then I think Gabby will find form again. I really hope he does it soon as he has been hopeless in pre season and the signs aren't good atm but he can be a big player when he wants to be and is a much better than Weimann is in the wide positions. In saying all this I can't get over how he didn't find Bent with that pass earlier, it was shocking.

Fair enough and I agree that Lambert could done even worse but staying up is the minimum requirement for me. The circumstances have been challenging without doubt but not in my opinion not so much that I'd consider him keeping us up some sort of achievement.

I say the achievement part because I remember looking at the team that was fielded against West Ham and thinking that is probably the worst Vila team I'd ever seen. But then I also remember that Xmas period and the Bradford debacle. We will never know if keeping us up was an achievement but at least we are still here for now.

• Like 1

He is exactly the type of player who we need to part ways with if we want to progress. He isn't good enough & he isn't effective. He cannot dribble & he won't shoot from any sort of distance. Sell him now and buy Zaha & Dembele/Holtby

Despite not winning a trophy or being part of something equally major, which is usually necessary to substantiate the status, I do regard GA as a club legend. Personally I admire the fact that he has come through our academy and has sustained his place under varying circumstances since 2006. Not to mention the epic moments he contributed to since his debut.

Nowadays loyalty is a uniquely rare and admirable quality. Based on the infancy of his professional career, along with the success we had under MON, GA would have likely attracted suitors and possible offers from Champions League clubs (or aspiring) but stayed with us when others used the club’s success as a stepping stone for their own personal ambitions. GA has demonstrated great loyalty to us, and you could argue this alone deserves him to be rewarded with a fresh deal.

GA is also important to our identity, providing inspiration for the youngsters in our academy and the local community; sharing context about Villa to players who are joining from other regions or countries. It is great to have players that are aware of, and embrace, our history and values, it is even better to have a genuine Villa supporter representing us for such a long period doing as such. Hopefully the likes of Grealish and Gardner follow Gabby’s lead.

Additionally, I do not understand the clamour to release or sell him, I am even more confused when people view this action as progressive. True progress will be using GA’s ability more effectively. The truth is GA needs to be managed better, and it is also fair to admit that he is not capable of being a regular starter every game, in all honesty, GA has never been a consistent player from my recollection.

Nevertheless, GA still has the attributes that can be utilised throughout a season. Obviously his direct pace, work rate and experience are his biggest strengthens. No more guaranteed regular starts, but tactically playing him against the teams that he can hurt with his skills should be considered. I see it akin to Osman’s and Hibbert’s role with Everton, being used tactically where necessary but still being a presence around the club. Imagine throwing GA on against a tiring defence or starting him strategically against a suitable opponent. Ideally GA will also be a lot fresher and create more of an impact having this sort of rotational role.

Then again, I suppose it all depends on the ability of our squad and the manager’s nous. In my opinion, we will undoubtedly lose a big asset if GA does leave next summer.

Well said!

I'd sell him in all honesty. Just not good enough. He has 2 or 3 games a season where he looks like a world beater, but other times he's just too ineffective. The wages he's on could be used much better on a different winger. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Agree with a lot of whats been said. However I do think he gives opposition defences more to worry about than Darren Bent (his likley replacement) - they have to keep an eye on Gabby just because of his pace - and he does seem to pull a performance out of the hat when we really need it.

Id give him the nod v stoke - but he shouldn't be starting week in week out, when we have Kozak, Bent as options

I hate disliking gabby because he's my favorite player and has given me the best times for villa vs blues. But he is really dragging the team down now. He no longer runs beyond the defence to use his pace and just picks the ball up deep and passes it. To think teams used to be generally frightened of his talent upsets me

Agree with a lot of whats been said. However I do think he gives opposition defences more to worry about than Darren Bent (his likley replacement) - they have to keep an eye on Gabby just because of his pace - and he does seem to pull a performance out of the hat when we really need it.

I don't understand why this is always used in defence of him. For every must win game he performs in, there are probably at least two others where he is his usual anonymous self. Where was he during the run-in last season? Or the run-in during the McLeish season for that matter? Did we not "really need it" then?

Gabby will be 28 in a few months. He's one injury or a couple of years off losing his pace (there are signs it's going already).

This is nothing new, it happens to all players, it's just that there isn't enough left in his game to make up for this. Players like Shearer, Giggs, Drogba etc. had the brain and ability to adjust. I don't think Gabby can. 

For that reason, I can't see an enormous amount of interest in him from other clubs - not the top half anyway.

Not one team in the league is worried about this guy

thats not true though is it, a few teams will set up with a deep defence because of his pace, arsenal being the obvious one, they always do it, im not saying that he's effective or has good games vs those teams but they do set up for him

we'd have absolutely no trouble selling gabby for around £8m if ever we wanted to, thats the going rate for championship strikers...

Last year in key games, his touch let us down and cost us points, Hull away, and WHU at home, at 0-0 in both games, 2 good chances , 2 awful touches, should have won both games, lost both.In the last 3 seasons he hasn't improved, in fact he has deteriorated.His touch , for a professional player, is disgraceful, his movement is non-existant, his awareness poor.

Overall he is/has never been a £50k per week footballer, time to move him on imho, i would rather play Robinson or Grealish

Last year in key games, his touch let us down and cost us points, Hull away, and WHU at home, at 0-0 in both games, 2 good chances , 2 awful touches, should have won both games, lost both.In the last 3 seasons he hasn't improved, in fact he has deteriorated.His touch , for a professional player, is disgraceful, his movement is non-existant, his awareness poor.

Overall he is/has never been a £50k per week footballer, time to move him on imho, i would rather play Robinson or Grealish

We drew the Hull game 0-0.

Â