General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

What's pleasing enough so far is that we havent (publically at least) been turned down by anyone.

Makes sense that we'd go back in for Martinez as we asked 12 months ago and he'd given his word to Whelan that he wouldnt leave, Lambert has hardly distanced himself from it and Solskjær is obviously keen. Im pretty sure it'll be one of those 3.

Why are we more attractive a proposition? Hard to say for sure, but it may well be because the wage cutting is just about done and realistically things cannot get any worse on the pitch - people in football know whats going on at various clubs, and the general message last summer probably would have been "dont touch Villa with a barge-pole - they've got no money, paying through every orrifice for wages, and the fans think they should be in the top 8" The last 11 months have probably tempered expectations somewhat, and the wage cuts are all but done.

Ian Holloway in the mirror today linked with us.... Probably just a rumour but look where that got OGS. Cant be having a manager who cant hack the prem :/

Or a manage who has previously called Aston Villa ‘half-a***d place that used to be famous’

What's pleasing enough so far is that we havent (publically at least) been turned down by anyone.

Makes sense that we'd go back in for Martinez as we asked 12 months ago and he'd given his word to Whelan that he wouldnt leave, Lambert has hardly distanced himself from it and Solskjær is obviously keen. Im pretty sure it'll be one of those 3.

Why are we more attractive a proposition? Hard to say for sure, but it may well be because the wage cutting is just about done and realistically things cannot get any worse on the pitch - people in football know whats going on at various clubs, and the general message last summer probably would have been "dont touch Villa with a barge-pole - they've got no money, paying through every orrifice for wages, and the fans think they should be in the top 8" The last 11 months have probably tempered expectations somewhat, and the wage cuts are all but done.

I think you're right Stewie, the perception is that Villa have done most of the hard unpleasant work of reducing the wage bill and apart from three senior players (who still need moving on imo) there is a clean slate for the next manager to come in and build his own dynasty. Tempting opportunity to be offered.

Ian Holloway in the mirror today linked with us.... Probably just a rumour but look where that got OGS. Cant be having a manager who cant hack the prem :/

Or a manage who has previously called Aston Villa ‘half-a***d place that used to be famous’

Hahaa that was only because he thought we were tapping up charlie adam illegally. Dont get me wrong what he has done with blackpools resources is quality.

But i'd personally rather KMAC in front of him. And KMAC isnt near my first choice so that means that hes way down the pecking order for me... plus i dislike him for when he said that about the mighty villains aswell !

Also while im here i'd rather holloway to mcleish,mccarthy and steve

bruce though...so it always could be worse.

In addition to Stewie's excellent summary there is the timing and availability of managers. Something completely outside of Villa's control. Martinez gave Whelan one more season. He's not under the same level of obligation to do it again this year and the fact he was allowed to talk to Liverpool suggests Whelan has accepted he will (or at least can) move.

Lambert has done most if not all of what he set out to do with Norwich. Not only get them up, but comfortably keep them up. It is not unreasonable for him to request the opportunity to progress his career with a bigger club.

And finally, Solskjaer, who has had his first full season away from Man Utd and who has been very successful with it.

If you add in the fact that the person who follows McLeish has a much easier job of making the fans happy, then Villa for a variety of reasons become more attractive to a manager despite coming off a poor season. And the marketplace itself is a lot more attractive than last season's poor selection.

I think that's fair re: the availability of managers - Martinez seems a man of his word, and although Whelan accepted our approach (and commended us in doing so), Martinez had already said he'd stay. Lambert would still have been on the "one to watch list" 12 months ago, as was Solskjær - if either of those had been appointed last year then there'd have been almost as much uproar as there was when we appointed He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

There generally seems to be a better calibre of manager attainable (note, thats attainable not available as we're clearly after someone who's currently employed unlike the last 2 appointments), and added to the job being a better prospect now for the reasons I outlined above then I think it's little surprise that we're linked with a better calibre of manager.

I think there are genuine prospects here - the squad has a decent mix of experience and promising young talent, we've a passionate fanbase, a fantastic stadium, the wage bill is just about at a position thats manageable (especially when added to the fact that our sponsorship deals have increased on 11/12) and I believe there is money available to buy players.

What we need is a young, hungry manager who believes in our club and where the board and fans want it to go.... Which exactly what our board have stated they want and will get, and all of the information we have from ITK's on here and other sources are telling us we will get. All 3 candidates being strongly mentioned on here and elsewhere all fit that criteria.

Let's **** go 8-)

Paul Lambert would be the outstanding choice.

Felt we should have went for him last year but there was a little question mark over him due to lack of premier league experience.

A year on and after a great first season in the Prem there is no doubting his ability.

I am sure that he will be approached by Liverpool too. If we have a chance of getting him it would be a huge mistake to pas up on him again.

I'm happy that Villa seem to be doing this the right way. Lambert was a superstar just over a week ago and I don't see what's changed other than Ole showing an interest, it still makes Lambert a good choice. Same as Martinez. The only reason I wouldn't be keen on Martinez is because of Whelans big trap, but I also think he's another very good option for Villa. So, to sum up, Ole, or Robbie or Lambert.

I'm a bit wary of coming out in favour of a particular candidate because you can look a right prat if he bombs. I know who I don't want though. Non of the odds and sods who seem to rotate from one club to another. You know the Bruce's, McCarthys and Strachans of this world. Let's have someone fresh with a new outlook.

Between Lambert and OGS for me now. Martinez is a no as he has already turned us down once and now would prefer the Liverpool job. OGS is my first choice just because of the lack of any kind of baggage and also the fact that it would be a real risk by the club, which is great sign of a change of direction having been solely focussed on hiring experienced mediocrity (at best) for the last 2 years.