General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

The names being mentioned really are a bag of uninspiring dross.

condiering you have badmouthed every manager or link since Houllier who do you think should be manager?

There is something seriously amiss here that we have fans thinking that Lambert, Rodgers, Martinez, Adkins wouldn’t want to come to us. I am not saying they are wrong in thinking that but what has happened to our mentality that we should be thinking like that. No disrespect to the likes of Norwich, Swansea, Wigan and Southampton but when Aston Villa come calling you should be willing to walk to VP to sign on the dotted line. As stated previously if we can’t get a manager from a club like that then we are either not being ruthless enough in pursuing them or we are not doing a very good sales pitch.

Regardless of the turmoil of the last couple of seasons Aston Villa is still one of the biggest clubs in this country with a fantastic history, great stadium, some of the best training facilities around and a large and passionate fan base who with the right manager and a little bit of hope will back the club. It should not be a difficult sell to the vast majority of managers for Lerner and Faulkner. If it is proving difficult then they are doing something seriously wrong.

Also I am a little miffed at the board. Not because of OGS, because I don't think that could be helped.

I am miffed because of the series of ****-ups since MON left. The complete cutting back on investment rather than making it more gradual has made us look at a pretty low level of manager. After MON left I wouldn't mind betting some very decent managers would have been interested or even receptive to an approach. Now we are in the position we were in when Lerner took over but without the optimism and attractiveness.

There is something seriously amiss here that we have fans thinking that Lambert, Rodgers, Martinez, Adkins wouldn’t want to come to us. I am not saying they are wrong in thinking that but what has happened to our mentality that we should be thinking like that. No disrespect to the likes of Norwich, Swansea, Wigan and Southampton but when Aston Villa come calling you should be willing to walk to VP to sign on the dotted line. As stated previously if we can’t get a manager from a club like that then we are either not being ruthless enough in pursuing them or we are not doing a very good sales pitch.

Regardless of the turmoil of the last couple of seasons Aston Villa is still one of the biggest clubs in this country with a fantastic history, great stadium, some of the best training facilities around and a large and passionate fan base who with the right manager and a little bit of hope will back the club. It should not be a difficult sell to the vast majority of managers for Lerner and Faulkner. If it is proving difficult then they are doing something seriously wrong.

Sadly I think you're right. It's not the job that's the problem, it's the lack of ruthlessness with which it's being sold.

poyet is an unpleasant individual who will embarrass us by getting into petty touchline fights with other managers all too often. No temperamental south americans please.

ice cool scandinavians is what I want :(

grayson is a ridiculous link, based on the statements put out by the club after sacking 'him', to hire an average league one manager would be tantamount to telling the fans to go **** do one.

10, 15, 20 years ago I would agree with you.

However the game is all about money and champions league.

Take Adkins at Southampton for example. What job would get him noticed more by the likes of Spurs, Newcastle, L'pool etc. Taking Southampton to midtable with good financial backing? or taking over at Villa with a lack of investment and getting them to midtable?

I am not sure reputation and a proud history count for much anymore. I hope I am wrong.

condiering you have badmouthed every manager or link since Houllier who do you think should be manager?

Every manager since Houllier has been Alex McLeish - I'm sure you were very supportive of the appointment, his work as an Aston Villa manager and the fruits of his labour.

After MON left I wouldn't mind betting some very decent managers would have been interested or even receptive to an approach.

I’m not so sure. I think after Mon left that it wasn’t that attractive to a lot of managers. Expectation levels were pretty high at that time and it was not going to be an easy job maintaining top 6 finishes and flirting with top 4.

The club has now slipped back to a level where in Premiership terms the only was is pretty much up. A 9th/10th/11th place finish next season will be considered a good season when only two years ago it would have been seen as a failure.

It is a fantastic opportunity for many a manager providing they are backed with some decent funds. It wouldn’t take much to get this club on a roll again and to get some forward momentum going and quickly turn our fortunes around. It happened under GT MK1, it happened under Big Ron and it happened under O’Neill.

After MON left I wouldn't mind betting some very decent managers would have been interested or even receptive to an approach.

I’m not so sure. I think after Mon left that it wasn’t that attractive to a lot of managers. Expectation levels were pretty high at that time and it was not going to be an easy job maintaining top 6 finishes and flirting with top 4.

The club has now slipped back to a level where in Premiership terms the only was is pretty much up. A 9th/10th/11th place finish next season will be considered a good season when only two years ago it would have been seen as a failure.

It is a fantastic opportunity for many a manager providing they are backed with some decent funds. It wouldn’t take much to get this club on a roll again and to get some forward momentum going and quickly turn our fortunes around. happened under GT MK1, it happened under Big Ron and it happened under O’Neill.

That is the bit I am worried about.

Every manager since Houllier has been Alex McLeish - I'm sure you were very supportive of the appointment, his work as an Aston Villa manager and the fruits of his labour.

OR LINK

to be fair i've never seen a Pilchard comment that wasn't along the lines of "oh no, bollocks, rubbish, idiots, dross, crap pathetic"

so, who would Mr Pilchard have as managaer of AVFC?