General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I just don't get excited about the thought of Lambert being the manager. Sure Norwich have been decent but I just see him as MON all over again.

This is odd, as under MON we were 6th in the league and winning games, but the idea just doesn't get me excited. Moyes would get me excited, but not Lambo...

Either way, whatever is best for the club will do...

This whole situation for me has now taken on all the problems of the plumber under your sink showing a good 7" of fat hairy arse crack. It's not attractive, you don't want to see it, but because its there and happening in front of you, you've just got to look at it.

Make it stop!

Please not Kevin MacDonald, Please not Kevin MacDonald, Please not Kevin MacDonald, Please not Kevin MacDonald!

Out of some of the names being linked...

Solskjaer - Not coming

Martinez - Flying to America within the next few days to have talks with the Liverpool owners

Rodgers - Turned down the chance to talk to Liverpool. I doubt he'd talk to us

Lambert - I obviously have no idea if we've actually approached him or held talks with him

Villas Boas - I really doubt that he'd come here, especially to work on a small budget

Benitez - Like 12 months ago, he'd want a huge transfer budget that Randy wouldn't be prepared to give

That will be part of the problem now I think. While Villa are still a great club, our current "project" is not very attractive. Working on a small budget and continuing to trim the wage bill is not exactly exciting is it! I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking things but I can really see this manager search getting desperate... AGAIN!!!

Just can't see out board being capable of securing anyone on that list.

Think the bookies can see that which is why Grayson is now favourite.

At the risk of bursting anyone's bubble, I think we can safely assume that Mr. Mourinho will not be coming to VP...

If we must have another dour, uninspiring Scotsman, could we please do it properly and invite King Kenny for a cosy little chat with Uncle Randy?

With Solskjaer now out of the frame it is time to move on. I don't personally think he was ever first choice and was never more than a back up and I am hoping that he was made aware that we had got our first choice and then stated family reasons for pulling out to save a little face and so he could tide things over with Molde. If that is the case then we should make an appointment in the next few days. My worry is if this drags on then it means we are again struggling to get who we want and will again end up with a second rate manager.

I personally want Lambert and always have but I have a feeling it is a non starter. If we simply haven't bothered to approach him then that for me is a mistake. I still believe Aston Villa should be any easy sell to apart from the very top class managers. To a Lambert, Rodgers, Martinez etc given the clubs they currently manage when Aston Villa come calling it should simply be a case of where do I sign. If that isn't the case then Lerner/Faulkners sales pitch cannot be going down well.

This next managerial appointment was always going to tell us a lot about where Randy now wants to take this club. To either stagnate around mid to lower table happy to survive or to again try to kick on and get back up amongst the top half dozen clubs in this country.

There is no point crying over Solskjaer until we know who the manager is. I wouldn't write off Lerner pulling a rabbit out of the hat that we'll be happy with, can believe in and see taking us forward. I also wouldn't rule out a McCarthy, Bruce or Kev Mac. By the law of averages he is due the former. Interesting days ahead.

If it is Simon Grayson (or anyone lower down the list than that), I will be gutted.

same here. another uninspiring appointment and another lie from lerner an= doc

I agree about grayson.

But What were the other lies?

Grayson was woeful at Leeds, please god, NO!

I don't think Grayson has done enough to merit a PL job.. but woeful at Leeds? Really? His 50% win record suggests otherwise.

Work with a Leeds fan who said that Grayson was to blame for Leeds slump but it must be understodd that Papa Smurf (Bates) was selling his best players all the time not allwoing him to build a team.

Said it before and will say it again, Nigel Adkins anyone?

Been successful pretty much all through his short management career with shit teams and shit clubs, put him in a good club (though admittedly still with a shit team) and it could be a good move.

I don't buy the 'he'll want to do a season with Southampton before considering moving', to have the opportunity to go from Scunthorpe to Villa within two years should easily dictate that he'd come if offered.

Not forgetting that Southampton are actually shit as well, no doubt they'll get some decent attendances during the first half of the season but it won't be long before they're taking 200 fans away with them again.......

I'm clinging to the hope offered by one of the earlier posts (was it MM?) suggesting OGS was never the only one in the frame, but that at least one of the others wasn't currently figuring in the betting. Did anyone ever crack that cryptic reference?

My thinking is that OGS himself was a left-field prospect that nobody really saw coming until the initial meeting was rumbled, so there's no reason not to hypothesise that another less-expected name might be being sounded out as we wait.

Seems we're falling back to discussing the same names from the list of expected candidates - which does get a bit gloomy once you allow for PL possibly staying put - but I'm going to go through the day hoping the club has another interesting surprise in store.

(Mostly because if I go through it expecting SG or similar I might just start sobbing quietly at my desk instead of working...)

Said it before and will say it again, Nigel Adkins anyone?

Been successful pretty much all through his short management career with shit teams and shit clubs, put him in a good club (though admittedly still with a shit team) and it could be a good move.

I don't buy the 'he'll want to do a season with Southampton before considering moving', to have the opportunity to go from Scunthorpe to Villa within two years should easily dictate that he'd come if offered.

Not forgetting that Southampton are actually shit as well, no doubt they'll get some decent attendances during the first half of the season but it won't be long before they're taking 200 fans away with them again.......

I dont' think he would take the Villa job sadly.