Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Its great news that Lambo wanted the job to the extent that he would resign to talk to us. Martinez wanted it in the end as well but we were not going to flirt with him again after last year and when he had talked to Liverpool first in the way that happened. I think he will regret at leisure being swayed by Whelan last time around which is a pity as he could have done well for us from last season onwards.

I would have been happy with either manager as would many of us but the job is Lambert's to take now and I really think he has it in him to progress us as a club to the extent that if the likes of Liverpool wanted him in 3 - 4 years he would see that as a step down. :winkold: The club just needed to make the offer a good one to seal the deal. How much that would represent in cash for players is something for when the ink is dry on the contract. I thought when they appointed the previous manager they would have to back him in the transfer market to give him any hope of doing anything but this time I think that sort of transfer budget would be needed (say around £20m net) to seal the deal. Anything more would be a bonus as would be the appointment of a manager of this calibre given some of the names we had been fearing.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything more would be a bonus as would be the appointment of a manager of this calibre given some of the names we had been fearing.

Yep. Well done RL. Very happy with this. When all looked bleak we ended up with the best manager we could possibly have got. Not necessarily the most exciting, but still pretty damn exciting. Yipp-eeeeee!

As far as the spending goes, I'd be surprised if he was offered more than 30 million plus sales. Spend much more than that and the wages would get out of hand again. That's assuming the club could or would get players worth 20 plus. That 25 million plus sales sounds about right IMO, and it should be plenty in the right hands.

Quite enjoyed reading the first few pages of this thread, reminds me how low we were and what a good appointment he will be...well he's always been my number 1 choice other than a slight Ole flirtation because I didn't think Bertie was gettable.

I'm excited by this I was seduced by the idea of OGS, but perhaps we are looking at evolution over revolution.

Lambert has a lot of MON qualities, which means he can get something out of the lumps (if he can't sell them). He can also get his teams playing football. Something we've sadly not seen regularly for a long time!

If he is given funds, he needs to spend it wisely. As long as he's better in the transfer market than MON, then I'll back him to the hills.

He's ambitious, and by all accounts more than capable of handing out a bollocking if someone steps out of line. I'm looking forward to the new season now, and for that, I thank Randy and Lambert.

I'm excited by this I was seduced by the idea of OGS, but perhaps we are looking at evolution over revolution.

Lambert has a lot of MON qualities, which means he can get something out of the lumps (if he can't sell them). He can also get his teams playing football. Something we've sadly not seen regularly for a long time!

If he is given funds, he needs to spend it wisely. As long as he's better in the transfer market than MON, then I'll back him to the hills.

He's ambitious, and by all accounts more than capable of handing out a bollocking if someone steps out of line. I'm looking forward to the new season now, and for that, I thank Randy and Lambert.

Exactly what I was about to say give or take

Being reported in the papers that he will get 20 million to spend. Given the fact mcleish basically got that with the wage bill still high i would think he will get nearer 30 million myself.

I think he could have us in the top half with 20 million though.

I also expect him to get gabby playing again aswell, Could be good times!

What a refreshing change, considering all the abuse RL & PF received based on nothing, I hope they get some credit if it all comes off ok...

What are you referring to here? Abuse for nothing? They rightly got abuse for appointing AM. That will not be forgotten any time soon. Appointing Lambert will go some way to making things right, yet I still don't trust either of them after that mess. They have a lot of making up to do...

What a refreshing change, considering all the abuse RL & PF received based on nothing, I hope they get some credit if it all comes off ok...

They were criticised, and rightly so, for hiring a manager with a track record of relegation, and then they had the audacity to, pretty much, tell us we didn't not what we were talking about.

Then 10 months later they sack the man, due to his terrible style of football and poor results, which we warned them about at the time of the appointment.

I really don't understand the 'based on nothing' part, when they had walk up to Big Eck with their tales between their legs and sack him for the exact reasons we didn't want him at our club in the first place.

I bet you had a righr self-righteous hard on whilst writing that.

Not forgetting that decision cost the club over £10 million, what with compo to Blues, wages to Eck and his team, and the pay off, as well as lost revenue in smaller crowds. Last season was just a non event.

They deserve creedit if we get Lambert, but I'll never understand the ridiculous decision of 12 months ago..

I think the direction the club has taken in the last two plus years culminating in the appointment of the worst manager in our history, worst set of results in our history and poorest squad of players I have seen in forty plus years suggests that it was not based on nothing

They deserved the abuse! How ANYONE could think that hiring McLeish was going to be a great move for Villa is totally baffling. Lambert IS a good move BUT it really wouldn't surprise me if Lerner hadn't even heard of him till this season. It also wouldn't surprise me if Lambert wasn't even on the radar until the last day of the season when the Villa fans were singing Lambert's name! Lerner knows he **** up and he knows we aren't happy. I'm not saying that he has bowed to fan pressure to try and get us back onside but he definitely would have been informed that Lambert would be a popular choice with the fans. After all, he can't afford to have poor season ticket sales and see match day attendances continuing to fall.

Paul Lambert has this evening spoken on the phone to at least 2 senior AVFC players.

Saying hi to them or jog on lads?

was he speaking to the players who had expressed to the board their desire to leave villa this summer?

The more I read comments like this the more I am sure that the board are employing people to write this sort of bollocks in the vague hope that we will all forgive them for their previous misdemeanors. :winkold:

Alot of making up to do I suspect but I think Lambert is great start. UTV

Lambert will keep dunne for at least another season. It makes sense, a new manager going into a new job needs a few experienced players to fall back on whilst his management methods settle in adn new signings find their feet.

As long as he gets them performing i don`t mind.

I would clarify that observation slightly. The criticism they received for a series of piss poor decisions that nearly led us to disaster was justified and deserved. Fans rightly vented their anger as I did.

The personal abuse which included comments on personal appearance and them being described using various words that would make my Mum blush was unacceptable. Just my opinion of course :)