Agbonlahor named captain.

PompeyVillan

As this is a temporary call til the end of the season I wouldve given it to Ireland. Performing well at the moment and he is very vocal on the pitch. I expect a barrage of abuse for this opinion.

No abuse from me, I think that's an excellent shout.

Ireland is a perfect leader right now.

But Gabby has it, Gabby has my support and he can prove us wrong. Come on Gabby, dig us out of this mess.

I don't really see Gabby's problem with the last two years. He's a striker that has pace but does not score enough goals, and has so far failed to prove he can play alongside Bent who is undoubtedly our main striker. The last two managers have been trying to accommodate him in the side, and he has therefore found himself pushed out onto the wing. His natural game has always led to him playing in the channels, so i don't really see what he has to be unhappy about.

For a player who supposedly loves the club, and signed a very lucrative 5 year contract despite having never scored more than 13 league goals in a season, he seems to be doing an awful lot of moaning (albeit in private). I would say this makes him totally unsuitable to be captain of Aston Villa, he's playing for his boyhood club, he's idolised by the fans, he's never truly taken the bull by the horns and put in consistent performances, and yet everything is the fault of the manager.

If Gabby had put in the effort, if he'd really tried he could have been our main striker, he has all the assets, pace, strength, a good shot. He's been given plenty of chances, and yet he's always failed to take them.

Now he moans because he's being asked to help a team struggling for width by playing on the wing, and then he's rewarded by being given the honour of captaining the side. Crazy.

Good luck to Sunderland fans, because if he failed as a striker here at a club he's supposed to love, then he'll have no chance of success there.

Good post.

I find it laughable that Gabby has all these problems with the managers. The only thing that I remember Hou did was to get gabby on the wing and said to him that he had bulked up too much and that he needed to lose weight. Gabby moaned about this and said he knew his body best. Funnily enough come the start of this season he had lost some weight and started brightly....he really is not the brightest spark is he

If he was on form, YES make him captain. But, when on form he was being moved about, lost his confidence and then when he is so very low on morale, he is given the armband and the weight of all those Villa fans on him, because he CARES it will affect him.

So, a big **** you to McLeish.

Gaby is going through what Bent was. When a ball played up to him, he's constantly being fouled, nobody to flick headers on to and the midfield being to far away to support. We can't expect his form to be brilliant given the circumstances.

Dont get me wrong love Gabby true Villan. But the only reason McLeish chose him as captain is to get on our, the fans side. He has as much leadership qualities as a child in a boxing ring. He could never shout or order others players around!

Rubbish today...again. Doesn't look interested right now, maybe a move to Sunderland would be best all round.

his head is already at the stadium of light. I dont blame him, I wouldnt want to play for this pillock either

Gabby is not in best form for sure. However to say he is not interested is pure bollocks

My view on him is that he is only a real threat when he is 100% fit and match sharp. At start of season after a good pre season we saw the best of him and I would say for the first 10-15 games he was by far and away our best player.

I think he has struggled to get it back since his injury in mid season - wouldn't surprise me if he is still playing with some niggles now.

his head is already at the stadium of light.

Did'nt want to believe that really (you don't when you know how someone is Villa through and through) but I think there might be some meat on this particular bone.

Â