Agbonlahor named captain.

PompeyVillan

The captaincy isn't that important...

Course not.......... :?

You disagree, then? In my eyes, it doesn't have much significance.

Of course it does. Who do you think rallies other players on the pitch. You cant just have any old numpty who doesnt have a voice or the respect of others.

Hes going to have more responsibility than making sure we play uphill against the wind in the first half, so we can batter the opposition in the 2nd half.

Agbonlahor whilst maybe not that vocal is certainly a good inspiration to the younger players at the club. I dont see why people are making such an issue of it. We have very few leaders at the club, the dressing room is a quiet place and the others mentioned like Collins have been royally slagged off to the hilt yet now he is somehow good enough to be captain. Who knows it may even kick start him back into top form again.

Of course it does. Who do you think rallies other players on the pitch. You cant just have any old numpty who doesnt have a voice or the respect of others.

Hes going to have more responsibility than making sure we play uphill against the wind in the first half, so we can batter the opposition in the 2nd half.

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you, but I think many people on here would say that Stan was a great captain, but it hasn't exactly helped us much the past couple of seasons with regards to winning games.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how Gabby takes the extra responsibility, although personally I would have preferred to have given it Given.

Loyalty certainly deserves a pat on the back and yes he's a Villa man through and through. But hard to see him as a motivator in any shape or form.

Collins was the obvious choice and still should be.

You don't really need an armband to do those things, though.

The captaincy isn't that important...

Course not.......... :?

You disagree, then? In my eyes, it doesn't have much significance.

It's important if you have a natural-born leader at your disposal. Players like Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer just had this natural ability to command respect and inspire more committed performances from their team mates, as well as keeping heads calm and maintaining good tactical and spatial awareness while in the thick of it. But if you don't have that sort of obvious captain-material player available to you, as Villa don't at the moment, then it matters less who gets the armband.

Longest serving player at the club. Local lad. This is the only reason why. Should of been Collins IMO.

Rob McCaffrey and Derek White on OSN out here reckon that Gabs will be off to Sunderland in the summer. Quite how they'd know is beyond me, but has one the rounds a few times on their TV show and weekend radio show.

It simply won't happen, Sunderland, joke.

Well done Gabby. Now do your job and start scoring the goals we are in need of to give us a chance of staying up!

Its very likely it will happen. especially if mcleish stays, Gabby is not a fan

If Gabby goes to Sunderland in the summer then that will be it for me. I'll literally explode with rage if that happens.

Why because the nonsense that surrounds this forum that he and other players actually give a shit about villa will actually be proved as nonsense?

Whats he done in the last 2 years that makes him so valuable?

Daft that Im actually putting all this because I actually like Gabby, and Id love him to be as good as we think he can be. But its becoming clear, that maybe he just isnt that good.

Im not cross with the decision to make him captain. I think it just highlights the utter shit we are in in terms of a squad.

I have zero confidence that any player we have left can drag us to a win - including Gabby, who has done nothing for months.

You'd have thought that he did, given the fact that his quotes make him sound like he *wants* him. The fact he's willing to put his name to them shows him to have little integrity if he isn't a fan.

At the risk of going slightly off topic, I think that it would be better if Gabby stayed, because I still think he can offer the team something next season and he is one of the better players at the club. But if he does go I will not be that bothered because he is not irreplaceable and he spends long periods of every season not performing well. The fact of the matter is, as I have already mentioned, it is just a job, so even though he grew up suppporting the club, and came through the youth team, if he deems Sunderland as having more ambition, and they offer him more money, he will leave.

With N'Zogbia back, I've just realised that this captain's armband means Gabby is undroppable. I'd have dropped him for the next game but now I know there's no chance. I guess Weimann will make way now and Gabby will play up top where I will hazard a guess at how many goals he scores; or shots he gets.

You'd have thought that he did, given the fact that his quotes make him sound like he *wants* him. The fact he's willing to put his name to them shows him to have little integrity if he isn't a fan.

gabby is looking for a way out according to people that know him well.

he is unhappy at playing on the left. i think he is a bad choice as captain as he is disillusioned does not like mcleish and hasn't really performed well since MON left

Â