Agbonlahor named captain.

PompeyVillan

gabby is looking for a way out according to hearsay on twitter

he is unhappy at playing on the left. i think he is a bad choice as captain as he is disillusioned does not like mcleish and hasn't really performed well since MON left

Fixed

he is unhappy at playing on the left. i think he is a bad choice as captain as he is disillusioned does not like mcleish and hasn't really performed well since MON left

Fixed

nothing to do with twitter. i know people who know him very well and see him most weekends. these people are reliable and gabby has sorted us out with tickets over the years.

he is considering leaving in the summer. he does not enjoy being at aston villa and he is not the only one. mcleish and grant also had similar player problems during their tenure at the sty

I think the attitude to gabby is a bit harsh.

Last season he played injured and out of position and clearly houllier was not liked by some senior players and gabby spoke about probably leaving if houllier stayed.

He then started the season well and was easily our best player for the first few months. Although he started playing well on the wing it's not where he wants to play and for the 2nd season in a row he finds himself out of position and playing for a team worried about relegation.

I couldn't blame him if he wanted to leave, he's a good player and i'm sure he's sick of the lack of ambition at this club.

I'd be gutted if we lost gabby. I think he would be a super signing for most top half premiership teams.

If he went to Sunderland I think he'd perform well and their fans would love it. We'd have bent playing shit and not scoring and they'd have gabby improving them.

Fixed

:lol::lol:

I like Gabby but I dont think he is captain material, not vocal enough on the pitch. As we saw on saturday, it was often Weimann giving Gab instructions rather than vice versa.

As this is a temporary call til the end of the season I wouldve given it to Ireland. Performing well at the moment and he is very vocal on the pitch. I expect a barrage of abuse for this opinion.

Weimann was giving Gabby instructions? How did Gabby take this. I can imagine in his mind "who is this young kid telling me what to do, when he has only played a few games at this level"

Weimann was giving Gabby instructions? How did Gabby take this. I can imagine in his mind "who is this young kid telling me what to do, when he has only played a few games at this level"
There was a parody article the other day about Liverpool erecting a statue of Andy Carroll ... as a replacement for Andy Carroll. I feel somewhat similar about Gabby's movement. I'd suspect the instructions from Andy were ones Gabby had never considered on his own and they were given by someone amazed that he had to give them in the first place.

I think the attitude to gabby is a bit harsh.

Last season he played injured and out of position and clearly houllier was not liked by some senior players and gabby spoke about probably leaving if houllier stayed.

He then started the season well and was easily our best player for the first few months. Although he started playing well on the wing it's not where he wants to play and for the 2nd season in a row he finds himself out of position and playing for a team worried about relegation.

I couldn't blame him if he wanted to leave, he's a good player and i'm sure he's sick of the lack of ambition at this club.

I'd be gutted if we lost gabby. I think he would be a super signing for most top half premiership teams.

If he went to Sunderland I think he'd perform well and their fans would love it. We'd have bent playing shit and not scoring and they'd have gabby improving them.

I think Gabby is playing with an injury this season as well mate. Not being funny either with that as I actually do think he is playing with some sort of restriction.

I think Gabby's form problem goes back to when he bulked up. His one big asset was his pace and as he developed his build, he has also reduced his pace and become more playable for defenders. Look at Michael Owen for instace. He used to be shit off a shovel until he got his injuries. Once they kicked in and slowed him down he became an average player.

I would miss Gabby if he left because he is one of us. He does give us quality on the pitch when fully fit and he is probably the last real pacey player we have in the first team, even if he is not as quick as he used to be.

By appointing Gabby as Captain, McLeish is trying to be clever. He knows that Gabby is well thought of by Villa fans as he is one of us. This is akin to the early announcement that we have signed Brett Holman, it took the sting out of the stick that McLeish was getting as it gave us something else to talk about. I'm not fooled by this, Gabby hardly inspires confidence. Wrong choice for me, but then again, no real surprise in that is there? Given how little McLeish has got right this season.

By appointing Gabby as Captain, McLeish is trying to be clever. He knows that Gabby is well thought of by Villa fans as he is one of us.
I wish McLeish was this Machiavellian. I think Gabby is the correct choice. I'm sure McLeish can see he's unhappy and this might encourage him.

I like Gabby but I dont think he is captain material, not vocal enough on the pitch. As we saw on saturday, it was often Weimann giving Gab instructions rather than vice versa.

As this is a temporary call til the end of the season I wouldve given it to Ireland. Performing well at the moment and he is very vocal on the pitch. I expect a barrage of abuse for this opinion.

I could not agree more...

And I suspect that Gabby has been given the job to either entice him to ignore overtures from MON, or to show everyone that McLeish cares about Villa's traditions (for want of a better word) as Gabby is "Villa through and through", or a combination of both...

By appointing Gabby as Captain, McLeish is trying to be clever. He knows that Gabby is well thought of by Villa fans as he is one of us.
I wish McLeish was this Machiavellian. I think Gabby is the correct choice. I'm sure McLeish can see he's unhappy and this might encourage him.

I don't think making him captain will encourage him to stay.If Gabby is unhappy then the way to make him happy and to stay at the club is to sack the person that is making him unhappy .......McStupid

With N'Zogbia back, I've just realised that this captain's armband means Gabby is undroppable. I'd have dropped him for the next game but now I know there's no chance. I guess Weimann will make way now and Gabby will play up top where I will hazard a guess at how many goals he scores; or shots he gets.

Didnt Bannan or Gardner play on wing vs Chelsea, either of them will be probably sacrificed for Zog though if he was injured he might come off bench

I don't really see Gabby's problem with the last two years. He's a striker that has pace but does not score enough goals, and has so far failed to prove he can play alongside Bent who is undoubtedly our main striker. The last two managers have been trying to accommodate him in the side, and he has therefore found himself pushed out onto the wing. His natural game has always led to him playing in the channels, so i don't really see what he has to be unhappy about.

For a player who supposedly loves the club, and signed a very lucrative 5 year contract despite having never scored more than 13 league goals in a season, he seems to be doing an awful lot of moaning (albeit in private). I would say this makes him totally unsuitable to be captain of Aston Villa, he's playing for his boyhood club, he's idolised by the fans, he's never truly taken the bull by the horns and put in consistent performances, and yet everything is the fault of the manager.

If Gabby had put in the effort, if he'd really tried he could have been our main striker, he has all the assets, pace, strength, a good shot. He's been given plenty of chances, and yet he's always failed to take them.

Now he moans because he's being asked to help a team struggling for width by playing on the wing, and then he's rewarded by being given the honour of captaining the side. Crazy.

Good luck to Sunderland fans, because if he failed as a striker here at a club he's supposed to love, then he'll have no chance of success there.

At which point will these tossers realise that they are not paid 60k a week to like the manager or the position they play in.

Just give 100%, do the job you are told and you'll find that AVFC will win more games regardless of the manager.

Â