Agbonlahor named captain.

PompeyVillan

He's looking like one of the least motivated, most demoralised players atm so this is not a decision I feel too enthusiastic about. At the same time I can't think of anybody else who would have been a better choice. Collins, while physically imposing, doesn't strike me as an assertive presence on the pitch, more often deferring to others. Given is similar and hasn't really been with the club long enough. The only other realistic choice would be Ireland, since he is the creative heart of the team and is the only player who has a bit of spite and pride to his play atm. However, nominating a milquetoast like him would likely piss off players like Gabby, so it's lose-lose.

Best case is Gabby feels a bit inspired by his, plays better, scores goals. Worst case is that he is as uninspiring as a captain as he has been in his all round play recently.

When i saw the headline i thought this was an April fool's joke.

Sadly it is not so it can only go down (pun intended) as a typical McLeish appointment.

How the hell is he going to understand instructions and i dread to think what Gabby's and McLeish's first press conference will be like?

Our club now, with this appointment, have added to the Carry On franchise which i thought was extinct.

Unbelievable!

A faintly ridiculous appointment. No doubt McLeish is buying into the 'local boy done good' sentiment.

Collins may have his shortcomings, but he is a trench fighter, and a much better option for captain.

Sadly it is not so it can only go down (pun intended) as a typical McLeish appointment.

How the hell is he going to understand instructions and i dread to think what Gabby's and McLeish's first press conference will be like?

Our club now, with this appointment, have added to the Carry On franchise which i thought was extinct.

Unbelievable!

Who should be captain?

Unbelievable!

Who should be captain?

I would have chosen either Given or Collins until the end of the season.

Agree with The Trees, Collins sweats blood even when he's not playing well pushes to dive in front of everything... That's what you want from a captain.

A frightening image of where we are atm and how weak our current squad is.

Cant remember the last time he put a decent shift in.

On a whole, one massive disapointment over the past 2 years and I think when you look at Bendtner's current form, you realise just how much average players (which its becoming abundantly clear Gabby is) rely on MON.

Great choice - the boy sweats and bleeds Aston Villa,

Rumours of throwing sickys and turning up late last season.

Very rarely plays well

Constantly standing marking the defender himself.

He really doesnt sweat and bleed Aston Villa.

No one sweats blood for villa. Lets remember one thing, it is just a job for them. When a better offer comes along they will be off.

After the Alan Smith transfer from Leeds to Manchester united in 2004, I believe that changed my opinion and I think no player is truly loyal to any club or loves it. Like I say it is just a job.

Natural leaders will lead anyway, whether they are wearing an armband or not.

Hopefully it will make a difference to his performances and he can get back to the August -November performances.

No one sweats blood for villa. Lets remember one thing, it is just a job for them. When a better offer comes along they will be off.

After the Alan Smith transfer from Leeds to Manchester united in 2004, I believe that changed my opinion and I think no player is truly loyal to any club or loves it. Like I say it is just a job.

You got it.

I raised my boy to love the Villa and despise Manure.

If he didn't have two left feet and was starring for the Villa on £30k a week at the moment, and Manure came knocking at £80k a week I would carry him up the M6 on my shoulders.

Â