Agbonlahor named captain.

PompeyVillan

We shouldn't forget that out of our 7 wins this season, Gabby single-handedly won us 3 of them. And that is no exageration.
Bingo. Also he helped us to a couple of draws we didn't really deserve iirc.

I've posted it before but in games where Gabby's goal or assist was the difference between a draw and a win, or a loss and a draw, we gained 9 points. That's not accounting for his all round play in games where it didn't produce a result. I don't dispute that he has been shit for most of the season but the people who are talking of selling him next season and letting Weimann fill the role are way off.

There is no doubt in my mind that without pre-December gabby we would be facing certain relegation right now. Priority one for next season should be to get him motivated and playing back to his strengths, much like it was important to get Ireland playing again this season.

Captain material, though? I still don't think so.

We shouldn't forget that out of our 7 wins this season, Gabby single-handedly won us 3 of them. And that is no exageration.

It really is

3-1 vs Blackburn - 1 goal 1 assist

2-0 vs Wigan - 1 goal 1 assist

3-2 vs Norwich - 1 goal 1 assist

The goals in the first two were brilliant, and so were all of the assists.

Your mistaking 'single handedly winning games' with 'playing well'.

Ive had to get real about Gabby this season - Simply Not good enough.

No player wins a game single handedly. Messi is only as good as he is because Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Fabregas work him enough space to produce the quality. It is the same for Gabby

Yeh I do agree. But the extent to which one player can force a result, Gabby did that in early parts of this season.

All I am saying is Gabby cannot continue to play brilliantly for the first 3 months of the season and then turn garbage after. He does it every season.

I also agree. Who knows why this is the case. It is extremely frustrating, especially when you remember just how good he was at the start of this season.

I still believe that Gabby is a better player than the likes of Vassell and Luke Moore, and with the right combination of a good manager, a decent attacking team behind, and an injury free season, he could finally get a 20 goals under his belt.

It really is

3-1 vs Blackburn - 1 goal 1 assist

2-0 vs Wigan - 1 goal 1 assist

3-2 vs Norwich - 1 goal 1 assist

The goals in the first two were brilliant, and so were all of the assists.

So Agbonlahor plays well in those 3 games and we win. Why does he not play like that for the rest of the season. He is only doing what I would expect one of our high earners to do eg make a difference.

The problem is it has been so long since he has done anything and he is looking very poor as he always does every second half of the season.

I am guessing Gabby is on £45k-£50k, fair? FOr that, I definately think we should be getting a lot more effort and a lot more quality on a more consistant basis.

I also agree. Who knows why this is the case. It is extremely frustrating, especially when you remember just how good he was at the start of this season.

I still believe that Gabby is a better player than the likes of Vassell and Luke Moore, and with the right combination of a good manager, a decent attacking team behind, and an injury free season, he could finally get a 20 goals under his belt.[/quote]

He has already had that under MON and not produced. I just think mentally he is weak. I don't think he has the drive to be a very good player that can consistently produce. For the money we pay him, he should be.

He's a good player, but honestly he isn't captain material. He can be lazy and times and doesn't seem like much of a motivator, I think it needs to be someone in midfield with some grit and determination. Someone like Herd.

The problem is McLeish, it's that simple. Before anybody points out Gabby's form last season, Houllier was also the problem there - another shit manager. Gabby has spent so long playing isolated on the left, or only involved in the play when the LB needs bailing out, that his instincts and will to score are now buggered when he moves back to the front. He drifts out to the left even when he's needed in the centre - and it's worth mentioning he still puts in threatening crosses on his weaker side now and again even when playing shit - because he now thinks that's expected of him. When he screws up, he doesn't care, because he's not enjoying playing anyway.

Ad, think about Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Ireland (has improved recently, fair enough), Heskey, Bent... all are on similar wages. To single out Gabby for inconsistency on the basis of his wage is extremely unfair.

Maybe. But he is the one saying Villa means everything to him. So why is the effort not there? Maybe that is unfair, but he is the one who says it. He is now being outshone by a young reserve and doesn't seem to be busting a gut to show he is the main man.

I disagree. Why shouldn't players be judged on their wage?

Gabby hasn't scored for 16 games. That is Heskey-esque.

I don't disagree with the other players. Dunne, Warnock and Heskey are awful too. Collins has looked a lot better without Dunne. Ireland is becoming consistant and Bent has a proven track record of delivering ALL season.

Gabby is not performing, so deserves criticism. The fact it happens every year shows a lot about his character. This season he has had an amazing chance to go to the Euros. He has wasted it. I personally would sell him and spend the wages on someone who can perform to a consistant level.

The problem is McLeish, it's that simple. Before anybody points out Gabby's form last season, Houllier was also the problem there - another shit manager. Gabby has spent so long playing isolated on the left, or only involved in the play when the LB needs bailing out, that his instincts and will to score are now buggered when he moves back to the front. He drifts out to the left even when he's needed in the centre - and it's worth mentioning he still puts in threatening crosses on his weaker side now and again even when playing shit - because he now thinks that's expected of him. When he screws up, he doesn't care, because he's not enjoying playing anyway.

But it isn't.

He was the same under MON. O'Neill also played him on the wing a fair bit.

Yet his form always suffered after Xmas.

Villa's form in the latter half of the season in general always suffered under MON. Gabby's form never nosedived to the extent it has the last two seasons.

2006-07

October 28th - 2 April: 3 goals

2007-08

November 28th to April 5th: 1 goal

2008-09

October 29th - April 5th: 4 Goals

2009-10

Feb 5th- 9th May: 3 Goals

2010-11

Feb 1st - 22 May: 2 Goals

I don't think his scoring record in the last 16 games is too significant either. How many goals have eg. Albrighton and Bannan scored from the wide positions that Gabby has been mostly pushed back to?

When Gabby plays LW he is pushed further forward. Also Gabby is a forward and the other 2 are not.

Gabby also needs to be very careful. Holman looks to be earmarked for the left of a front 3. Bent will play up top, Weimann is showing promise. He should be busting a gut to prove himself.

I am not wanting to be too down on Gabby. I just think his time has come and the resource could be better spent.

I think Gabby gets an easier ride from Villa fans with regards to criticism of his performances because he is one of us. Every season he has a big chunk where he is not performing to the required standard, but he still does not get the criticism that others get. Controversial opinion but I think I am right.

I think Gabby gets an easier ride from Villa fans with regards to criticism of his performances because he is one of us. Every season he has a big chunk where he is not performing to the required standard, but he still does not get the criticism that others get. Controversial opinion but I think I am right.

:nod:

Villa's form in the latter half of the season in general always suffered under MON. Gabby's form never nosedived to the extent it has the last two seasons.

2006-07

October 28th - 2 April: 3 goals

2007-08

November 28th to April 5th: 1 goal

2008-09

October 29th - April 5th: 4 Goals

2009-10

Feb 5th- 9th May: 3 Goals

2010-11

Feb 1st - 22 May: 2 Goals

Which proves as I said that 'Gabby's form never nosedived to the extent it has the last two seasons', which have been worse, and also disregards the point about team performances dropping (also injuries in the seasons you listed).
I don't think his scoring record in the last 16 games is too significant either. How many goals have eg. Albrighton and Bannan scored from the wide positions that Gabby has been mostly pushed back to?

When Gabby plays LW he is pushed further forward. Also Gabby is a forward and the other 2 are not.

Pushing him further forward on the wing just isolates him when we have no attacking gameplan, thanks to McLeish. Likewise it isolated him under Houllier's pit-a-pat tactics on our side of the half way line. Even when played central, we're sitting so deep that a through ball from Ireland might leave Gabby with 40 yards of running still to do and opposition defenders crowding. As has been said, Gabby basically had to win games single handedly to even make an impression early on in this season. That kind of effort can't be sustained the whole season long. Unfortunately he drops past tiredness to a level of almost no effort at all.

Easy argument to resort to, but I'm a Villa supporter from outside Brum, so some people at least aren't defending Gabby out of blind loyalty. Blame is just much better deserved elsewhere.

Â