Agbonlahor named captain.

PompeyVillan

i see all the time that gabby get stick for being dumb, how come? i know he dosent show that much of vision and intelligent play on the field but i really dont think he is dumb for that reason alone. in the interviews i see him give he doesent come off as stupid i think.

He is the quintessential example of a guy that ignored school in the hope of becoming a pro footballer. He's lucky he got what he wanted as if he didn't he'd seriously be too thick for McDonalds.

Bristol Rovers was the last team he scored against at all, at the start of January. Norwich before that, at the start of November. He just isn't trying hard enough. Weimann is, and has scored twice in our last three home games. He keeps drifting out wide, (when the criticism was he wasn't being played up front as favoured) and he keeps missing chances whenever he's got them. Quite frankly he needs to snap out of that, but he's showing nothing to show he will.

Frustrating.

He keeps drifting out wide, (when the criticism was he wasn't being played up front as favoured) and he keeps missing chances whenever he's got them. Quite frankly he needs to snap out of that, but he's showing nothing to show he will.

Not defending his lack of goals but I think the wandering is team instructions from McLeish. He doesn't like anyone being too near the opposition area...

Gabby on the captaincy...

http://bit.ly/IAzSAd

Gabby Agbonlahor insists he is looking to follow the example set by some fine claret and blue captains after being handed the armband.

Agbonlahor has taken on the captaincy since Stiliyan Petrov was diagnosed with acute leukaemia.

The Villa striker wants to do Petrov proud by leading the team to a strong finish in the Barclays Premier League.

He says Petrov and previous captains Olof Mellberg, Gareth Barry and Martin Laursen were fine role models to him.

"Olof Mellberg was the man with the armband when I made my debut in 2006 and since then we have had Gareth Barry, Martin Laursen and, of course, Stiliyan," said Agbonlahor.

"I'm learned a lot from all of them and I've also matured as a player so the prospect of being captain isn't as daunting as it might have been a couple of years ago.

"I had my first taste of wearing the armband when Stiliyan missed the recent game at Wigan with a thigh strain.

"With Richard Dunne also out of the team the boss asked me to take over at the DW Stadium, so I at least had an idea what to expect last week.

"It obviously a big thing for me. Maybe it's not something I imagined when I first broke into the team, but it's a privilege to be following some great Villa captains.

"I'm willing to do the job for as long as required, although as far as I'm concerned there's only one captain of this club.

"I am honoured to be wearing the captain's armband and I just wish it could have been in different circumstances.

"My biggest wish is that Stiliyan will come back and lead us again."

Agbonlahor admits he was stunned by Petrov's diagnosis because the midfielder is viewed as one of the fittest players at the club.

He has vowed to give everything for his close friend in the closing weeks of the season.

"I've known Stiliyan for nearly six years and he's a fighter so I'm confident he will come through this," Agbonlahor added.

"The really difficult thing to take in is that Stiliyan was in better condition than most players when the diagnosis was made.

"He has the healthiest lifestyle and diet of any us, and he is always the most hydrated.

"We will all give 100 per cent and try to get a result for Stan in every game from now until the end of the season.

"It has affected me a lot because I'm very close to him.

"Every time I make a tackle, every time I make a run I keep thinking 'this is for Stiliyan'."

I remember reading so much about how we play better with Gabby up top, well he hasn't scored in 2012, Gabby has done this for years, he starts very well and then after Xmas he is on holiday. DB got slated when he hadn't scored in 2 or 3 games, but Gabby since the turn of the year has been utter shite and i ain't afraid to say. To make him captain is even more bizarre, when you have the likes of Collins and Given.

I dont now if it's been mentioned previoulsy (cant be arsed to check through the thread) but it might be a man management ploy from the manager.

Granted Weiman has stepped up but when the decision was made McLeish would have been looking to Gabby as the main source of goals for the side, and as many have mentioned he's not been banging them in recently. So you give him a bit of extra responsibility, give him a reason to work that little bit harder for the team and hope it inspires him to put in the performances.

The other point is there's no stand out alternative, I dont think Given is vocal enough and Collins isn't all that popular with the fans.

So your captain has to be popular with the fans? I couldn't give a rats ass as long as he leads the team. He puts in that effort, Collins for the past few games as put his body on the line, what has Gabby done? Gabby isn't vocal either so i really don't get your point. Stupid decision making him captain. Collins has also been Captain for Wales might I add.

My point is with the apparent lack of a natural captain (I'll accept Collins is the nearest thing we have) he may have used it as a tool to try and get some better performances out of Gabby at a time when we need him firing on all cylinders.

I'm not saying it has worked or that it was the right decision just giving a possible explanation for why the decision might have been made. It's now up to Gabby to decide how he reacts to the extra responsibility of being captain.

I remember reading so much about how we play better with Gabby up top, well he hasn't scored in 2012, Gabby has done this for years, he starts very well and then after Xmas he is on holiday. DB got slated when he hadn't scored in 2 or 3 games, but Gabby since the turn of the year has been utter shite and i ain't afraid to say. To make him captain is even more bizarre, when you have the likes of Collins and Given.

I agree.

To be honest I don't think anyone should be pointing fingers at our strikers for not scoring goals this season. We simply don't create chances, to the extent that I think I could count on one hand the number of decent opportunities Gabby has had in the league in 2012.

It's not about the one on one chances, its about him actually doing anything of note in 2012, that I can think wow Gabby. He's never in the right positions, he is even awful at holding up the ball and when have you seen him run the channels. But it was okay for fans to slate Darren Bent who still got 10 goals!

To be honest I don't think anyone should be pointing fingers at our strikers for not scoring goals this season. We simply don't create chances, to the extent that I think I could count on one hand the number of decent opportunities Gabby has had in the league in 2012.

Its not about pointing fingers. If a striker is off form, he's off form....whether he's had one chance or twenty. But Gabby is'nt enjoying playing in this side, for whatever reason (doh!) and it shows I'm afraid. If it was Bent, we would all be saying the same.....you're our striker, hit the target! Gabby is'nt being singled out.

Strange how we cant point fingers at strikers for not scoring, yet bent has got 9 in 22 games.... hmmmmm

Unless you didn't use the boards for about 4 months, you ought to have noticed that Bent was widely criticised as well. In fairness, he did miss a fair few chances and his general play was poor but it is still a decent enough goal return.

I think my original point stands that strikers will always suffer playing in a McLeish team. They will struggle to get chances created for them and more often than not will find themselves isolated up top about 40 yards ahead of the midfield being asked to hold the ball up which against any decent defence just isn't going to happen.

which is why I think giving him the captaincly was meant to be a kick up the arse going into the final part of the season. He's certainly no natural leader so that's my guess as to why he was given the armband.

If it worked it would be a good piece of management imo, afterall you'd still expect the vocal members of your team to remain vocal whether they're captain or not.

Bristol Rovers was the last team he scored against at all, at the start of January. Norwich before that, at the start of November. He just isn't trying hard enough. Weimann is, and has scored twice in our last three home games. He keeps drifting out wide, (when the criticism was he wasn't being played up front as favoured) and he keeps missing chances whenever he's got them. Quite frankly he needs to snap out of that, but he's showing nothing to show he will.

Frustrating.

Hes one of the protected species, one of the reasons of why we are where we are.

If he's one of our better players its why we are near the bottom....he simply don't do what it says on the tin.

To say forwards are not really goalscorers, they do other things is laughable.... he scores too few goals ...end of.

like Vassell but a bit better version, but still inconsistent.

He is totally frustrating as one of our better players.

He's technically much better than Vassell, the only problem for Gabby is that he's not had a set role for a prolonged period. Played wide either right or left when Bent was in the team, lead the line when he was out(much improved from Gab IMO). Now he's been asked to partner Weimann in a 442, something he hasn't done for 2/3 years.

Under a better manager who could give him clear concise role and instructions, Gabby would be awesome. Besides people seem to forget that his form always drops off after January.

Â