Stan Petrov

LondonLax

OT slightly, but was do bad things happen to the genuinely good guys?
Indeed, makes me angry to think about it. Perhaps it's a question also appropriate to the All-Purpose Religion Thread.

Still, very happy to see him out and about, and just to echo what everyone else has said, that video certainly tugs at the heart strings.

Still cant help wonder why only Collins and another lad got up to put an arm round his should when he was upset?

The video certainly had me choked up but blokes are typically crap at the emotional stuff. Even though most of the players would be close to Stan, it doesn't surprise me how many of them would struggle to deal with it.

The video certainly had me choked up but blokes are typically crap at the emotional stuff. Even though most of the players would be close to Stan, it doesn't surprise me how many of them would struggle to deal with it.

there's struggling to deal with emotion and seeing a bloke struggling and turning around to continue as you were, completely ignoring it. bad form from all involved apart from the obvious ones

What i mean Bri, is that they are supposed to be a team, they spend throughout a season more time with their team mates than with their missus. I dont know, i think i was just expecting a bit more passion towards the guy who has been their leader on the pitch for so many years.

His been sick for quite a while. I'm sure he's gotten plenty of hugs and pats on the back from his team mates the past year. Some might be camera shy as well.

Who was the other guy who went over to Stan with Collins?

I honestly can't believe that people are criticising the players for not all going over to him. It's an incredibly difficult situation and I'm sure a lot of them were very emotional themselves. If I was Stan in that position, I'd rather be given a moment to compose myself rather than be surrounded by people asking if I was okay. He's not crying because he's missed a penalty, or because he's lost a cup final, and he's not a fourteen-year-old girl crying about a boy.

None of us know Stan personally, none of us know the players or staff personally, and none of us know how any of them are coping with the whole thing behind closed doors. I think it's pathetic that people are so eager to jump on the players' backs based on 30 seconds of footage.

edit: Not to mention the fact that there's a camera in the room.

Maybe the other lads didnt really know how to react? I assume the younger ones have spent last 4 years of their life looking up to Stan and whilst in the team I imagine there is a lot of banter and taking the piss out of each other. I assume it's a big change when Stan is diagnosed with Leukaemia and probably just didnt know how to react.

I know within my group of mates we constantly take the piss out of each other, we get on well. But if one of them was diagnosed with a potentially life threatening disease I wouldnt exactly know how to react if they started tearing up in front of me.

I wouldnt read to much into any of it, I doubt they all hate Stan for instance.

Sometimes football just doesn't matter , I wish him a full, speedy recovery and future happiness.

Best thing you've posted since you've been on here! :D

You are right tho, sometimes we all need to take a step back and realise what truely matters in life....and it certainly isnt football!

Football is more important than that 'Wiggy.' Shanks said so. :winkold:

In reality though you are exactly right. I feel so sorry for Petrov and hope that the club will offer Petrov some sort of role befitting his stature when he beats his illness.

I really don't think anything after the song should have been put on the internet, if the canteen scene should have been at all. It was an intensely private moment that should stay within the club IMO - we shouldn't have the 'privilege' of seeing Stan break down like that.

Maybe the other lads didnt really know how to react?
I'm sure you're right. Don't forget they are "man-children" who never have to grow up, just play football, drink a lot, drive flash cars and have regular sex with little thought for the consequences (OK, I know I'm exaggerating).

This is the real world rushing in big time and I guess most of them just didn't know how to react. Good for Collins I say. Many of them did fork out quite a lot for Pedal For Petrov so I think that shows they do care.

Anyways, here's what Stan thinks:

Petrov optimistic over illness

Aston Villa club captain Stiliyan Petrov believes he has conquered "the hardest bit" in his battle to overcome acute leukaemia.

Last Updated: 05/07/12 at 19:23

Petrov admits he has taken inspiration via messages of support from other people who have won their fight to conquer the illness while undergoing treatment for the past three months.

The Bulgarian international celebrated his 33rd birthday by attending Villa's first day of pre-season under new manager Paul Lambert at Bodymoor Heath today.

Petrov said: "I've been a strong character since the start of my career. I always believed that you need to be patient and you need to believe in things - and I believe that I will get better.

"I know it is hard and I've been through a hard time but the doctors, nurses and everybody in the hospital have been great to me.

"It has been great because if you have people that you trust it makes it easier and they have made it easier for me.

"I know I've got a few more months of chemotherapy and I need to go through it but I think that the hardest bit is over and from now on I just need to wait for the result to be positive."

Petrov, who played alongside Lambert at Celtic, added: "I've had a lot of people with the same problem as mine and they've beaten it. They live their life now.

"I have a lot of hope and I haven't stopped believing since the start and I will never stop believing. My family believe as well.

"It is a great help when you read messages and you've got letters from people who have beaten this already and they have already lived 20 or 30 years.

"You just say to yourself I am going to be there as well. I am just not going to stop fighting. I have always been a fighter and I will just keep fighting.

"I'm back home for a bit and I'm enjoying my time seeing friends and enjoying my time with the family.

"I am 33 today and it is good. I've had so many wishes and messages It is a good day and I hope I will keep receiving these messages for a few more years - a good 50 years!"

Petrov, who has been retained as club captain, has faith in former Norwich boss Lambert to revive Villa's fortunes.

They avoided relegation from the Barclays Premier League by just two points last season.

He said: "I played with him for seven years at Celtic and I am really happy that he has got the job at Villa.

"I am really confident that he is going to do very well for this club because I know him very well. He is really looking forward to working at this club.

"I know the boys will have a great season. I said that the season before wasn't great and we wanted to show we didn't have a great season last season.

"I know this season the boys are looking happier, they want to have a better season and they will have a better season."

Villa masseurs Andy Smith and Alex Butler are cycling from Celtic Park to Villa Park in September to raise funds for leukaemia and lymphoma research as part of the Pedal For Petrov campaign.

Petrov said: "It is great what they are doing for the leukaemia research and for me as well. It is going to be tough for them but they have been working really hard.

"They have been pedalling hard, training hard and I said to them if I go in remission and I can do a bit of training I can do one of the stages with them. We will see how everything goes."

Donations can be made via the website www.justgiving.com/pedalforpetrov

Watched the full interview with Stan on AVTV - will be absolutely amazing if he can join in with "Pedal for Petrov" at some stage.

I'll definitely go and cheer them on when they come past here t'up North.

I really don't think anything after the song should have been put on the internet, if the canteen scene should have been at all. It was an intensely private moment that should stay within the club IMO - we shouldn't have the 'privilege' of seeing Stan break down like that.

We are the club. He also shed a tear in the stands, should BBC/SKY not have broadcast that either?

Have you seen the support stan campaign?? we are in this together as a club.

Who was the other guy who went over to Stan with Collins?

I honestly can't believe that people are criticising the players for not all going over to him. It's an incredibly difficult situation and I'm sure a lot of them were very emotional themselves. If I was Stan in that position, I'd rather be given a moment to compose myself rather than be surrounded by people asking if I was okay. He's not crying because he's missed a penalty, or because he's lost a cup final, and he's not a fourteen-year-old girl crying about a boy.

None of us know Stan personally, none of us know the players or staff personally, and none of us know how any of them are coping with the whole thing behind closed doors. I think it's pathetic that people are so eager to jump on the players' backs based on 30 seconds of footage.

edit: Not to mention the fact that there's a camera in the room.

I pretty certain it was Ciaran Clark. I'm actually a little disappointed that some of the players like Gabby who have played with Stan for years did not go over to him.

Collins went up massively in my estimation for being the first to go over

Â