Stan Petrov

LondonLax

4 hours ago, AndyBM said:

its certainly a very tough decision to make, do we sign a 37 year old who hasnt played for 4 years, or do we sign a holte hero, a fans favourite, a player that always gave everything to the cause and tried his damned best to win a game? who was passionate about his job?

imo, i would love to see villa sign stan, even if its only for this season, even a bit part contribution would be more than what most of the wasters did last season

You are talking about Stan there as well, right?

We really have nothing to lose.

It's a feel good story and he'll be working his backside off to get that contract, which will drag his teammates along to that level of work ethic.

If he gets the squad spot, it will be because he's earned it and is worthy of it. It wont be because we feel like we owe him something or for PR purposes. There's no room for that type of sentiment when you're a club in our position. The fortunate thing is, Petrov at 80% of his pre-injury capacity will be very good at the level we'll play this season.

If he's denied a contract, it will be because we have plenty of central mids who are better than a guy who is old, but absolutely has ability and is absolutely busting his arse to get there. If he gets the contract it will be because he absolutely busted his arse to get himself back into playing shape and touch. Either way, he's going to be an absolute beacon on the training track and wonderful to have around the squad.

• Like 2

It's a no brainer for me, we need experience, we need role models, we need positivity - he will go a long way to providing that. How much he plays will depend on performances, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he turns out to be sensational this year and blow us all away  - the guy is a determined fighter who has bags of experience and class and he is bursting to prove it again - give him a contract, give him his chance, he has earned it. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

I never really rated Stan, but he is exactly what we need on the training ground and in the squad. He will add spirit and professionalism, even if he only plays a bit part. He is a passionate, driven and model pro, that something lacking which was central to our demise. He is the exact antethisis of Gabby, N'Zog and the other poisonous mercenaries we have (had) in our ranks.

• Like 1

An Example of the Stan-Effect so far.

Gabby's performances/on and off-field and the influence he may have had on younger and new players over the whole of last season 

V

Stans influence on young, new and seasoned players in pre-season.

PS we've had many a young player/new signing over the last 5/6 years that could have done with a player of Stans, Olaf, Laursen, God and a number of other Villa players  status & influence to help them develop.

We need a balance of short term and long term thinking to get AVFC going forward again.

Short term meaning an immediate change of atmo amongst players to the positive - new owner, manager, staff, players and the likes of Stan. Rather than the antics of Gabby, Lescott, Bacuna, Sinclair & Richards.

Its all conjecture but the more positives we can pick up along the way, the more chance of outweighing the negatives we have.

I look at it this way. If to 'guarantee' that 24 players will knuckle down, work their asses off and give everything for Aston Villa this season, we have to sacrifice 1 squad place, I'd say yes straight away. That's what having Stan in the squad would do imo, and that's assuming he doesn't have it in him to get as fit as required, or if he'd lost his ability.

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

The way the OS is pushing the Petrov story you'd suspect a contract may have already been agreed in some way or another which would be excellent.

I was about to say same thing and I think thats great from the club

Just now, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I may shed a wee tear if he runs out onto the pitch again.

I know what you mean mate.  Can you imagine if he scored in front of the Holte!  Grown men crying everywhere and even the most hardened would well up :D

They've had one pre-season game, of which Stan played 45 minutes.

I'm sure he's still proving his fitness. As great as it would be to have him, I doubt RDM will be offering him a deal until he shows he's fit enough to play. And play properly, not 45 mins against a pub team.

I'm positive he'll do it, I'm more sure every day. But that doesn't mean we should jump the gun.

I just remembered this, when Stan turned 33 and was in the earlier stages of his illness. The emotion of having his birthday and genuinely wondering how many more he would have after that day must have been overwhelming.

I can't imagine how much work this guy must have put in to get himself into the position he finds himself today. Looking at the pictures, Tweets and videos coming out of the training sessions I would put money on players pushing themselves harder than they ever have before because of his presence in the dressing room. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They've had one pre-season game, of which Stan played 45 minutes.

I'm sure he's still proving his fitness. As great as it would be to have him, I doubt RDM will be offering him a deal until he shows he's fit enough to play. And play properly, not 45 mins against a pub team.

I'm positive he'll do it, I'm more sure every day. But that doesn't mean we should jump the gun.

Yeah, plus I don't think there's a huge rush. Stan will get the chance to test and prove himself in pre-season and then both the player and the manager will know if he's worthy of a place.

Â