Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Joleon Lescott admits he might have to move on from Manchester City

Joleon Lescott has said he is open to the idea of leaving Manchester City in next month's transfer window after becoming increasingly agitated about his inability to secure a first-team place at the club.

After becoming the world's third most expensive defender when he signed from Everton for £24m in August last year, Lescott has found it difficult to establish himselfas an automatic fixture since Roberto Mancini replaced Mark Hughes as manager four months later, starting only nine of City's 23 games this season despite being able to play at centre-half or left-back and three other defenders – Jérôme Boateng, Aleksandar Kolarov and Wayne Bridge – missing large chunks through injury.

Vincent Kompany has replaced him as the first-choice centre-half alongside Kolo Touré and after also finding himself behind the young Belgian Dedryck Boyata at other times, Lescott offered an honest appraisal when asked whether it may have reached the stage where he had to leave. "Of course," he replied. "I'm not happy with the situation. I don't enjoy sitting on the bench, and sometimes not even making the bench."

A loan would be the most likely option, with few clubs able to stump up the kind of fee and salary to consider a permanent transfer. "That's down to myself and the club," Lescott said. "The club might say 'If there's a chance to play, go and play' and, if not, I will have to stay here."

Lescott's chances are likely to become even more infrequent if Mancini gets his wish to bring in another centre-half in January. "The squad's big and there is a lot of quality here so I knew it wasn't going to be a foregone conclusion that I was going to start every game," the former Wolves player said ahead of City's home game with Bolton Wanderers on Saturday. "You have to respect the manager's decision and it's warranted because Kolo and Vincent have been outstanding so far this season, but when I've gone in I think I have done OK.

"I've never regretted my decision to come here. Mark Hughes was in charge at the time and I was playing every game but, even now, I still don't regret it. It's unfortunate that I'm not playing as much as I'd like, but you just have to get on with it sometimes. I'm a professional and level-headed person. I know situations come and go. Next week there might be an injury and I could be backin the team for the rest of the season. I just have to be ready for that, in case it happens."

Leaving would stigmatise Lescott as one of City's more expensive failures, yet he has concluded that his lack of matches under Mancini may affect his England career. "Fabio [Capello] has kept his confidence in me when other players have gone down with injury [Lescott has started the last three matches] and I'm grateful for that but there's going to come a time when, if I'm not playing for City, I'm not going to be in the England squad as well."

The 28-year-old is not alone in wondering whether it may be better to leave, with Emmanuel Adebayor, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Roque Santa Cruz, Bridge and Shay Given in similar positions.

"It's obviously frustrating for all the lads who don't play and before this I've played my whole career so it is tough, yes," Given said. "I haven't really spoken to the club at the minute. I don't know what they are thinking but, from a personal level, I'd like to go on loan for a few months because I do miss the feeling of playing and the buzz you get.t is frustrating training and knowing you're not going to play, and hopefully the club will be understanding if that's the case in January."

Guardian

Would be worth a shot, if we could only get him on loan.....Would be good at left back...Well that's where I think he is better playing.

I've met Joleon a few times and in private he'll openly admit that the kind of money Man City offered him he just simply couldn't refuse. We are talking twice as much as what Everton could pay him plus he got a very nice slice of the fee.

There were reasons why he left Wolves which go far deeper than Everton making a decent offer for him. Given what he went through, which is pretty common knowledge, its unlikely this is a part of the country he'd be in a rush to return to and I'd be very surprised if he therefore entertained the thought of joining us.

Aaron is back in the area but I wouldn't see this improving the chances of him finding his way back to the Midlands.

mICFA.jpg

Is that a training ground fist fight between Mario Balotelli and Jerome Boateng? Why yes, I think it is!

I dont know who the mystery man is, but I assume its Nigel De Jong running in to clobber the pair of them.

mICFA.jpg

Is that a training ground fist fight between Mario Balotelli and Jerome Boateng? Why yes, I think it is!

I dont know who the mystery man is, but I assume its Nigel De Jong running in to clobber the pair of them.

:lol: A big boot to both their heads should suffice.

mICFA.jpg

We know the mystery man isn't Milner; he's on the bench. :P

There were reasons why he left Wolves which go far deeper than Everton making a decent offer for him. Given what he went through, which is pretty common knowledge, its unlikely this is a part of the country he'd be in a rush to return to and I'd be very surprised if he therefore entertained the thought of joining us.

I'd be surprised if his knee injury would be able to cope with a return to the West Midlands.

I'd be surprised if his knee injury would be able to cope with a return to the West Midlands.

What actually happened to Lescott? I know he apparently had some involvement with a gang, or was threatened or something. No idea what went on though. Anyone care to elaborate?

Â