Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Guardiola absolutely deserves some credit, as having the best team doesn't mean you automatically win. But it does make it a lot easier. I wouldn't personally put him up there with the likes of Fergie, Mourinho or Ancelotti because as Xela said, he's not really been tested.

Man City had the best side in the league for me. I think the whole Pogba thing has overshadowed the fact that Man City spent £25m more than United this season and £50m more than anyone else. It's his hardest test so far, but even then he's outspent the league whilst taking on the favourites.

I'd love to see him take a punt at International football or at a club that isn't the clear #1 or #2 favourite. 

I appreciate that Pep has rotated the squad tonight but for the richest club in the world they have a lot of naff players. They should have assembled a squad like Barca or Real Madrid by now but instead they've still only really got 1 maybe 2 top drawer players.

It's his worst winless streak as a manager, funny how earlier in the season they were being called the unbeatables and a few posters were blowing smoke up guardiola's you know what saying he had transformed Man City, granted he is a good manager, but think he is finding out English football is a whole different breed.

Always said I thought this would happen to him in this country.

His record at Barca and Munich was impressive but things were heavily weighted in his favour.

He is clearly a talented manager but I think this is his first real test and at the moment the results are very mixed. 

Clearly he has never suffered a run like this, I'm interested to see how he reacts. Does he have the strength of character to turn it around? Is he capable of being more pragmatic about team set up and approach in order to get a positive result or will he stick to his principles regardless?

What happens over the next few games is going to be pretty interesting, he will either emerge from it a better manager or things could unravel pretty quickly.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Did Otamendi really cost 30m?

Who is buying these CBs for Man City the past few years? Never seen a defender spend so much time on the floor. Abysmal.

Otamendi was really good in Spain. Sometimes the change in scenery and leagues does not bode well for players. Otamendi is not a bad defender for this league, but he is no where near as good as he was in Spain. 

23 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

granted he is a good manager, but think he is finding out English football is a whole different breed.

How exactly?  2 of those games weren't even against English clubs, for example. Last night's was a de-facto shadow side, not to mention they only drew with Everton because they managed to miss two penalties.

It's not about "England", because there is definitely the relative strength of the squad to take into account. Guardiola's team for his first match in charge of Barcelona (which ended in defeat) contained Puyol, Dani Alves, Abidal, Iniesta, Xavi, Eto'o, Henry, Yaya Toure and Messi. Unless it's the general belief that he's so arrogant and delusional that he thinks he can coax the same level of performances out of Kolarov, Fernando, Iheanacho, Navas and the rest.

City just lack a DM like Busquets. Their midfield is world class. I mean Gundogan, De Bruyne, and Silva are all amazing CMs/Attacking mids. Then their wingers are also quality. They need someone like Matuidi, Kante, or Verratti.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

City just lack a DM like Busquets. Their midfield is world class. I mean Gundogan, De Bruyne, and Silva are all amazing CMs/Attacking mids. Then their wingers are also quality. They need someone like Matuidi, Kante, or Verratti.

I thought Fernandinho did well last night until he went off injured. What they lack is a goalkeeper and a defence. Get 5 good players in those positions and they would really be a top side. Easier said than done though given that they spent ~£110m on Otamendi, Stones and Mangala.

Edited by villa89

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Pep 1 Yaya 0

Interesting to see what happens now. i doubt pep wants him anywhere near the squad but if he does play yaya might actually try a bit because he'll want a good bosman transfer in the summer.

Â