coda

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure you can knock someone who's played for the same club for 20 years for not loving the club.

Why not, I'd play my entire career for Small Heath if they paid me lots more than I'd get anywhere else.

He almost left for City because they were offering more then came back when Chelsea matched/beat it.

He has always said he wants to finish his career at Chelsea, there is an offer on the table for him to do that and he's stalling on it because he wants more money. Maybe its just a case of getting the best deal he can. But if he leaves, like Gerrard did it shows just how hollow those words are.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe.

But it's certainly not just Villa fans who would say he was ONE OF the best ever. I'd also argue it's not just Villa fans who would say he was better than JT.

I am not disagreeing that Mcgrath wasn't better however he was 32/3 when the Premier League started so can't be the best Premier League player ever. 

Terry was an outstanding defender and England's best in that position for a long time. Always gave 100%

Was it recently he also paid for a funeral for a young fan who died? I know he's done things that don't show him in a good light over the years but he's not the monster he's made out to be 

• Like 2

Is he actually any good anymore?

Last time I looked Chelsea have conceded what 50 + goals this season and he's played in pretty much every game. Yes other players haven't been great but Terry as CB dosen't guarentee clean sheets anymore which is what Conte will be looking for.

Can't stand all the drama with him anyway. I reckon Chelsea told him in January they'd inform him in May about a new deal and he used the next four months to play the crowd and get him on their side so put pressure on their club. 

last year he was protected by Matic a lot and the full backs and they have had poor enough seasons that it left him exposed, think he is still an asset but not a certain starter

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Terry was an outstanding defender and England's best in that position for a long time. Always gave 100%

Was it recently he also paid for a funeral for a young fan who died? I know he's done things that don't show him in a good light over the years but he's not the monster he's made out to be 

Yeah, i know all the stories and they are inexcusable but with my parents being Chelsea fans i hear other things about him, like he will always be the last one out signing autographs or will always help out any of the youth team at training if they need it etc. still a word removed but not pure evil.

The other thing i heard about him was regarding being dropped this season, and apparently it was mostly his decision as he completely just lost the bottle and had no confidence in himself.

Probably all bullshit though

On 15/05/2016 at 23:15, PaulC said:

Yes I know but only Villa fans would say he was the best ever. 

McGrath was better than Terry on his day, which was any given day. However Terry has the longevity (by some margin) and the titles and as a professional athlete Terry wins hands down, which does count for something. 

John Terry is arguably England's greatest ever defender. Maybe it's not even an argument. Moore? Different eras, hard to judge. Adams? Possibly.

But many unbiased, knowledgeable people would put McGrath up there with Baresi etc. Would they do the same for Terry? I'm not so sure. Even if his media profile as a human being was higher. 

God doesn't have much of a media profile, because he's Irish, played for The Villa and has kept his head down since. If he'd not had his demons, stayed at United and won titles (or even had we won the title in 90/93) the discussion would be moot, IMO. 

• Like 2

im 100% sure if he didnt have his problems their wouldnt be a chance Fergie would have ever sold him. quotes from 2 of probably most demanding men in English football in last 25 years

Paul had this really nonchalant way of defending. He could just sally through a game. A ball would come into the box and he'd just back-heel it to safety ... I dithered over whether I should play him or not, because Rush and Dalglish were a handful. I just wasn't sure that he was ready for them. I played him in the end and he was magnificent. Honestly, he just walked through the game. Never gave Rush a kick. And of course, Ian Rush never would score against United while McGrath was playing. We actually gave Liverpool a bit of a doing that day, came back from 1-3 down to draw 3-3. I know it doesn't sound great defensively, but McGrath was superb. It told you a lot about him." Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson on McGrath returning from serious injury. 

"Big Paul McGrath showed all the qualities demanded of us for half an hour in Giants Stadium that day. For him the word big is appropriate. Known for his poise, his ability on the ball, his unique gift for reading the game, Paul displayed these qualities on this day. One other huge asset was his courage. When the Italians did get sight of the goal, Paul presented a final, insurmountable obstacle. Paul inspired us as much as in the end he demoralised Roberto Baggio and the other Italian players " Irish team mate Roy Keane in his autobiography on McGrath's performance in the famous 1-0 win over Italy in the 1994 World Cup finals in the USA.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

See lotfus cheek got player of tournament at toulan tournament. Started getting games under hiddink and needs to play under conte (who I'm still unsure on), as there is a top player there... Him and Ali in a few yrs will be ace together for England 

Think a season long loan to another prem side will make a lot of sense as you'd assume Conte will bring in at least one midfield from Seria A....Naigollan has been heavily rumoured from Roma.

I remember when Chalobah was all the rage a few years back and Josh McEcharan a few years before....both sunk without trace really at the top level.

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think a season long loan to another prem side will make a lot of sense as you'd assume Conte will bring in at least one midfield from Seria A....Naigollan has been heavily rumoured from Roma.

I remember when Chalobah was all the rage a few years back and Josh McEcharan a few years before....both sunk without trace really at the top level.

Chalobah is only 21, could still make it big. Didn't he and Loftus Cheek play against us in the  Next Gen tournament? McEcharan yes fair enough hasn't ever made it, but with how successful the Chelsea youth team have been recently, it's only a matter of time before some make proper breakthroughs. 

What do people think of Conte though, has he done that well with Italy? 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

They've got Lewis Baker as well, who also looked sharp in Toulon. Most teams (especially in the Championship!) would love a midfield three of Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah and Baker, yet Chelsea didn't spend a penny on them so it makes no real odds to them whether they make it or not.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Surely the first name on the shopping list?

leonardo-bonucci-serie-a-team-of-the-sea

Is Conte going to play his 3-5-2 formation? If so, you would think possibly, but with that formation, I think they would get torn to shreds in the Prem. They need a couple centerbacks though.

Â