Snow Watch!

trekka

I’m not bothering with work today. I live in Haden Hill, and the trains from Rowley Regis to Snow Hill are cancelled or delayed all day, so my best routes to Birmingham mean having to get through Halesowen and either Mucklow’s Hill or Manor Way, unless I attempt the roads by The Waterfall pub in Blackheath. No thanks. It took me two hours to get from Bearwood last night, so I’m expecting much of the same today.

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Apparently, in Yakutsk (Siberia), they begin to consider closing schools when it gets to minus 45° C. 

Is that the place where they have to set fire to the ground for a few days before burying people. 

41 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’m not bothering with work today. I live in Haden Hill, and the trains from Rowley Regis to Snow Hill are cancelled or delayed all day, so my best routes to Birmingham mean having to get through Halesowen and either Mucklow’s Hill or Manor Way, unless I attempt the roads by The Waterfall pub in Blackheath. No thanks. It took me two hours to get from Bearwood last night, so I’m expecting much of the same today.

Yeah I'd avoid Waterfall lane at all costs. The whole area is shit.

I've just come from Buffery to Cradley Road, so I went down St Peters Road, over the lights by Aldi and turned right by the Asda to go to Astles Bridge. I lost the back end of the van on numerous turns. Luckily just missing out on a few other cars.

It's baffling how incompetent the council is in regards to gritting. Nothing at all out on the roads.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Old hill station!? 

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

Funnily enough the first abandoned was a Focus.

The next 2 were Beemers ;)

Yep, although BMWs are the worst in the snow, it is fairly obvious that Fords with their fancy diffs and whatnot that give sharp handling in the dry always seem to have problems in bad weather. I've seen it multiple times out of the window here at work - always the RWD cars and then the Focuses that struggle. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of the handling of the Focus though (aside from the old RS torque steer issues) but I suppose there isn't always snow around to test them in.

39676021895_31f1e27f34.jpg

Legit comparisons with Zombieland last night.

Good to see the usual surroundings turned weird. DXRjUZSXkAA72XX.jpg

Not my photos. 

I'm not taking my gloves off.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Old hill station!? 

That’s effected too. All trains on the Stourbridge to Snow Hill track are buggered basically. Braz just got to work on the tram and said there were three trains waiting to get into Snow Hill station. It’s only going to get worse as the day goes on, I reckon.

Edit: buggered, not buffered.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

It's not so much the snow that's the issue, it's the temperatures and wind chill.

Absolutely this. I've just been out shovelling snow, and even with strenuous exercise and two pairs of gloves, my fingers are in agony with the cold. The windchill is brutal. 

15 minutes ago, Xann said:

SZbyZ68.jpg

This is pointing to a lunchtime exit.

Having made the devil's own effort to get to work this morning, I've just been advised that I need to stay until four. Since I'm surely going to be unable to drive, and trains from Snow Hill to Stourbridge mostly seem to be cancelled, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. Needless to say, not very amused.

The forecast for this afternoon looks grim.

My neighbour is currently clearing a bit more of his drive and I don't have the heart to tell him he's likely going to have wasted his time in a couple of hours. He's already cleared most of it this morning.

Work over in Telford which is about 30 miles from where I live.  The drive in was ok this morning and it's thawing here at the moment but having seen the forecast for this afternoon i don't reckon I'll stay till 4.30. 

My wife is worried about the old folk who can't afford to run the heating, or the homeless people that are freezing to death. I couldn't give a **** about that love. Aslong as the footy don't get called off, and the horses are still running, that's all I'm bothered about  ;)

Â