Snow Watch!

trekka

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

Used to live near South Ealing. Never been aware that was happening further West. Sometime we'd get ditched at Acton the other way.

Yep - all out at Acton is a regular refrain (whichever way you're travelling) and why I often head in the opposite direction and SWT it in at extra cost to me.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Its ridiculous. Over here is an actual bread shortage due to this snow. I think people have been watching too many movies

Check the bins. Apparently they're full of bread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

Yep - all out at Acton is a regular refrain (whichever way you're travelling) and why I often head in the opposite direction and SWT it in at extra cost to me.

I'm between the Vicky and Northern, which is good for town.

For work, the train station only two roads away from home is Southern - So I also end up paying more to use SWT trains from Earlsfield.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Company my OH works for (Aldi, head office) have told them that they HAVE to make every effort to get to work.

They can "take their time", but even if it takes them half the day, they have to try and make it in.

Anyone else think that's terrible advice?!

They've now been told if they're not in work tomorrow then it will go down as holiday or unpaid leave.

I'm feeling tempted to tell my OH to call them tomorrow and tell them she's in hospital because she crashed on the way to work because she was too scared to stay at home.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 13:05, Stevo985 said:

It's made my mom homeless :crylaugh: 

She moved house today. I say moved house, she moved her stuff out of her old house and into her new house. But she hasn't actually completed on the new house. She's only been allowed to move her stuff in because the seller knows the estate agent who knows my mom. The seller doesn't live there so let mom move her stuff in.

So the plan was move the stuff in, then fly to Ireland where she's holidaying for 2 weeks.

Except now her flight is cancelled until at least tomorrow. So she's homeless :D 

(In reality she'll stay at mine, but I'm winding her up in the meantime)

It was funny until my flight got cancelled too :D

Rebooked for Sunday morning but not feeling confident that will go ahead either.

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They've now been told if they're not in work tomorrow then it will go down as holiday or unpaid leave.

I'm feeling tempted to tell my OH to call them tomorrow and tell them she's in hospital because she crashed on the way to work because she was too scared to stay at home.

See the article quoted on the previous page - they have to give you two days of notice if they want you to use a day of annual leave due to adverse weather. This clearly hasn't happened in this case. Unless there is a clause specifically stating this in her contract, she is well within her rights to challenge that. 

• Like 1

They're well within their rights to offer the option though. Either take it as holiday, or if you don't want to, it's unpaid leave.

It's a shitty thing to do, and it'd make me hand my notice in almost instantly, but it's not illegal.

I never realised how much I appreciate flexible working until today, **** leaving the house in this weather.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Even Southern Hampshire is taking a dumping right now.  It's not often Portsmouth (where I live) has any significant snow.  We had snizzle all day today and then came in the heavy stuff.  The site at work was closed at 3PM and I'm not expecting it to be open tomorrow.  

Edited by trekka

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Devakus are you Victor Meldrew looking out of your window commentating on your neighbors :D

My desk is in front of a window overlooking the hill. I'm having a great day.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They're well within their rights to offer the option though. Either take it as holiday, or if you don't want to, it's unpaid leave.

It's a shitty thing to do, and it'd make me hand my notice in almost instantly, but it's not illegal.

I never realised how much I appreciate flexible working until today, **** leaving the house in this weather.

Seems to be common sense. If you work in an office you really do not need to be there everyday. Force people in, especially on a day like this, and they are only going to resent you even more.

• Like 1

Meanwhile over here in New York we have had summer day weather in the 60's yesterday and today.

Then Friday and Saturday we've got a "bombogenisis" storm coming :o

The storm is expected to undergo explosive development known as bombogenesis, which is a rapid drop in atmospheric pressure of 24 millibars or more in a period of 24 hours or less, the Weather Channel said.

The storm will be the most powerful to hit the East since January's bomb cyclone, AccuWeather said.

The worst of the wind and coastal flooding will hit from eastern Massachusetts to southern Maine, AccuWeather meteorologist Brett Anderson said. Hurricane-force wind gusts of 75 mph are possible, the National Weather Service said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/01/powerful-noreaster-bomb-cyclone-lash-east-rain-snow-howling-winds/384262002/

The weather is as wacko as the President.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Illegal, they have to by law give her 48 hours notice if it’s one day (read the bit above) Steve. Tell her to challenge that

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Company my OH works for (Aldi, head office) have told them that they HAVE to make every effort to get to work.

They can "take their time", but even if it takes them half the day, they have to try and make it in.

Anyone else think that's terrible advice?!

Yep, definitely, especially if she has the ability to work from home.

Even if she doesn't, asking people to risk their safety (if the weather is extreme) is bad. 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Illegal, they have to by law give her 48 hours notice if it’s one day (read the bit above) Steve. Tell her to challenge that

Very well might be  but challenging stuff like that marks you down as a 'troublemaker' and work can make your life difficult going forward. That is the joy of the private sector corporate machine. 

My work are the opposite of @Stevo985's OH. They're practically forcing people to WFH tomorrow as they are probably scared of people being in accidents. Not out of any real concern, just because they have no-one to cover your work if you die! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â