Snow Watch!

trekka

Only a light covering of snow here in North Wiltshire at the moment. Not gone to work though partly as trains are looking very unreliable and don’t want to get stranded if the snow hits as expected later. Although the main reason is our heating packed up over night. In a housing association house and they’ve already sent the job to the wrong contractor, only corrected it when i’ve chased it up after a couple of hours. Need someone out today as every chance  no one will come out tomorrow if the weather is bad, then it’s the weekend. 

As I write a red weather warning for South West FFS!!

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Company my OH works for (Aldi, head office) have told them that they HAVE to make every effort to get to work.

They can "take their time", but even if it takes them half the day, they have to try and make it in.

Anyone else think that's terrible advice?!

It's not just terrible advice. If something happens to them, it could constitute corporate manslaughter.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, choffer said:

Is it any wonder the office is a ghost town today? There must be at least 3cm of snow there.

Half a carriage to myself from Clapham Junction today.

Not many cars had moved at home this morning either.

All a bit half arsed.

Though I was walking through Hackney last night and it was pretty chaotic.

Dense snow storm with massive flakes. Difficult keeping your eyes open.

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Half a carriage to myself from Clapham Junction today.

I had the entire carriage to myself this morning but that's only because everyone else had heard the announcement that the train was terminating at Northfields.

55 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Can I ask, do you feel as though you need to put "head office" in there, because if she just worked at ALDI, you'd be embarrassed? You ALWAYS do it! :lol: 

I don't think I do always do it. I wouldn't be embarassed if she worked in a store. A store manager/area manager at Aldi would earn a shitload more than she earns! And would actually have a promotion route.

I put it in there because I doubt the same advice is given to office staff as it is to store staff.

23 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's not just terrible advice. If something happens to them, it could constitute corporate manslaughter.

This was my train of thought.

Imagine someone having an accident on the way to work. They could quite easily say "I was too scared to not try and come to work because of the pressure being applied"

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

I had the entire carriage to myself this morning but that's only because everyone else had heard the announcement that the train was terminating at Northfields.

Heading out of town?

That must have pissed off the Heathrow gang?

What a treat. Waiting above ground for the Underground with luggage on a day like this.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Company my OH works for (Aldi, head office) have told them that they HAVE to make every effort to get to work.

They can "take their time", but even if it takes them half the day, they have to try and make it in.

Totally ridiculous, potentially dangerous and down right unnecessary, what an awful company.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

tell your partner to read here

It's snowing - can I refuse to go to work?

By Katie HopeBusiness reporter, BBC News

28 February 2018

As heavy snow affects large swathes of the UK, many people are finding it hard to get to work on Thursday.

Commuters have been warned of major disruption on the road and rail networks after the "beast from the east" brought more snow, with Storm Emma expected to make matters even worse.

So if getting to work is impossible, what are your rights?

Red weather warning ahead of Storm Emma

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES

Do I still get paid?

In most cases you are not automatically entitled to pay if you are unable to get to work because of travel disruption or bad weather.

But that doesn't necessarily mean you will lose out.

If your employer normally provides your travel to work and this has been cancelled because of the bad weather you should still be paid, according to the employment advice and conciliation service Acas.

Some jobs may also have a specific clause written into their contracts, or have a collective agreement in place, that an employer will pay you if you cannot get to work due to circumstances beyond your control.

Some employers might also make discretionary, informal arrangements.

For example, they may let you work from home, or agree that you can make up the missed time at a later date. However, they are not obliged to do this.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES

Can my employer force me to take a day off as holiday?

Your employer can ask you to take a day of paid holiday - but only if they give you sufficient warning.

The law states that you must be given a warning period of "at least" double the length of annual leave you are being asked to take.

So, if your employer wants you to take one day's annual leave, for example, they would need to give you two days notice.

What if my workplace is closed?

In these circumstances, you are entitled to be paid.

In addition, your employer cannot require you to take the time as annual leave.

But don't rush out to make snow angels or have a snowball fight just yet. Your employer can still ask you to work from home, or ask you to go to another workplace that is open if the business has one, according to government advice website Gov.uk.

My child's school is closed due to snow: can I take the day off?

Employees have the right to take unpaid time off to deal with emergency situations for their children or other dependents.

Lawyers suggest that a school being shut at short notice is likely to be considered an emergency.

Strictly, the day would be unpaid but not all employers would take this approach.

Acas advises you talk to your employer as soon as you can to explain that you need to take time off and the likely length of the absence.

It says one option is that you jointly agree to take the day as annual leave so you do not miss out on pay.

My office is freezing - can I go home?

Not necessarily.

The Health and Safety Executive recommends a minimum temperature of 16C for offices where the work is deskbound and fairly sedentary. If the work requires physical effort, the minimum recommended temperature is 13C.

These temperatures are not a legal requirement but your employer has a duty to provide a "reasonable" temperature in the workplace.

But as anyone who's had a row over the office thermostat knows, what feels reasonable to one person may require another to wear their coat in the office.

If low temperatures make it unsafe for workers, then Acas says you should be allowed to wear warmer clothing, take extra breaks to make hot drinks and also be allowed to bring in extra heating options such as portable heaters.

However, if you are vulnerable in any way, for example are pregnant, then you may be sent home to protect your health, and this would usually be on full pay.

• Like 1

Just now, Xann said:

Que? Why did they bother setting off in the first place?

Quite. The excuse was that they could only run so many trains in. I was left to presume that as half their drivers didn't turn up to work this morning. 

It might just have been my bad luck that I got on the one that quit at Northfields. It happens often enough on the Pic line.

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Que? Why did they bother setting off in the first place?

Incidentally, I asked that question of myself this morning when I saw how few of my colleagues had bothered.

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

It happens often enough on the Pic line.

Just looked at the map - There's a depot to turn around in. If nothing's coming out of town to go around the Heathrow loop? That's the opportunity they have to try and clear the busy Heathrow platforms, dumping passengers at Northfields instead. Bastards!

Used to live near South Ealing. Never been aware that was happening further West. Sometime we'd get ditched at Acton the other way.

Â