Marc Albrighton

kingeightyone

He isn't going to make it here. Not by lack of effort or spirit but a lack of ability and he really doesn't have the pace or too many tricks to surprise Premiership defenders anymore.

Championship player at best along with Bannan and Fonz.

He's been great in the past and in some games unplayable. Is he consistent? No, not really. He's very much a confidence player but reading about him putting in loads of optional training and cutting his holiday short then fair play to him. He does have the quality in him. We've seen it against teams like Utd or his goal against Fulham. He needs to access that ability a lot more often which I think we'd all agree.

I honestly believe Lambert will give him a chance to earn his contract extension this season. Albrighton can do it. He at the moment seems to be going about it in the right way so best of luck to him. I hope he succeeds because he's Villa through and through and 'can' at times look amazing. Naive defensively don't get me wrong but he's a workhorse and can cross a ball well. I saw his goal this season in the cup and it was really good as well.

Some people are so quick to kick players to the gutter. Albrighton had a really good first season (similar to Weimann's this season imo) then had a mediocre season for Mcleish followed by an injury full one this time round. Lets just give the guy a chance. He hasn't played much competitive football over the last year so lets just give him a little bit of a break. Well not that any of us have a choice lol we don't have any say :D

I'm not so sure he will get his chance under Lambert. He's one that I think will be allowed to move on should an acceptable offer come in for him.

You have to ask yourself, what is more significant, those first few months in 2010 - or the form that has followed since. For me its the latter

Why?

He started off very brightly as you say under Houllier. Faded a little towards the end as many young players do but the potential was clear. Had a bad season under McLeish, but I personally believed (still do in this case) that they all deserved another chance following that debacle.

We've not seen much of him under Lambert thanks to injuries and the consistent form of others. But he's a good player Marc. When his confidence is up he loves the ball and he's a genuine grafter which will always stand you in good stead. He'll get another season.

I'm calling it now that this thread has a rather different tone in 12 months time.

• Like 4

I'm calling it now that this thread has a rather different tone in 12 months time.

I'd love that to be the case, but where does a winger fit into a system that doesn't use wingers?

I'd love that to be the case, but where does a winger fit into a system that doesn't use wingers?

I'm not entirely sure to be fair. I do think he's comfortable enough on the ball that he *could* reinvent himself and play a part in a three man midfield. It's something I've thought since watching him as a teenager playing for the reserves.

It's a good question though, one he's going to have to work hard to solve.

In all honesty what were Weimann and Gabby's role for the most part last season? I'm relatively sure Albrighton can play in that position. That and look at the signings we've made. What makes you think that's the only formation we'll be playing all season? We'll have a plan B or at the very least being able to mix it up to stop being predictable.

You'll need a variety of formations that work not just what we played last season.

Either way though he's shown the ability in the past that he can do it and he's willing to put the effort in as stated so I'm certainly not going to condemn him, I hope he proves the doubters wrong in here and honestly because of his mentality he should be a player a lot of Villa fans should be getting behind.

Weimann is so more important at this stage by now that he has long way to go. Depends on if we have signed anything for Weimann...

I am not totally against it, but unless he has improved or can offer something special then I think he only has one year left, with the odd 2-3 appearances through the season ahead of him. Would like to see him make it but....its gonna take something more than we have already seen

This season to prove he warrants a place otherwise it's time to move on, it's up to Albrighton and it sounds like he is going to give it a go so good on him. Personally I don't think he's good enough for the division but what do I know, it's PL's decision, but it would be great to be surprised.

We do hang on to youngsters too long though - how many chances does Delfonso need?

The Fonz is the next Drogba, don't you know?! Haha.

Seriously though it's much too harsh on Marc for being down on him under the McLeish season because that was a joke of an appointment and we never stood a chance! Last season he was unlucky with silly little injuries and he never got a break.

Best all round if he is in and around the squad for next season. It's all down to him then on how the season goes. As some have said he is nearly 24 and not a young player anymore, Lambert can't hold his hand on the pitch, he's a big boy now! I still like Marc and hope he can prove a lot of you wrong and I am sure if he has read these posts he's be trying extra hard to ram the word down many on here's throats.

He's villa through and through and is determined to make it here. As some suggested he has even cut his holiday short.

I like someone else said got his name on the back of my away shirt three seasons ago as I like most love to see good young player come through the youth system.

Anyways, it's over to you now Marc, good luck.

Edited by Killeen30

This really is the last chance saloon for Marc, his contract runs out next season I think so he'll really have to hit the ground running this season if he doesnt want to go the same way as Lichaj. Unfortunately I don't think he is going to make it as he's a pretty limited footballer from what Ive seen, he reminds me of Peter Whittingham when he played for us, so perhaps its for the best Marc drops down a division to alter his playing style a bit.

Albrighton had a really good first season (similar to Weimann's this season imo)

That's rubbish.

Albrighton had a good few months until he was found out and was rightly dropped.

Nothing like weimman this year.

Edited by Big_John_10

Albrighton had a really good first season (similar to Weimann's this season imo)

That's rubbish.

Albrighton had a good few months until he was found out and was rightly dropped.

Weimann had a great season, but faded hugely in the last month or so. Not taking anything away from him, as i love him and rate him hugely. Obviously with Albrighton that fade was a bit earlier, but it's a trend in young players (especially in their first full season).

I think he can fit the Gabby/Weimann role, purely because he's a grafter and will work up and down the flank. Don't think he's a starter there by any stretch, but he could do a job there aainstw weaker opposition/in an injury crisis.

Albrighton had a really good first season (similar to Weimann's this season imo) [/quotes]

That's rubbish.

He had 5 decent games two and a half years ago. He is a one trick pony who got found out and dumped back on the bench. He was cack every time he played since then.

Bloody awful footballer, has no pace and no tricks plus his crossing is awful at times. Not exactly great attributes for a winger.

Weimann had a great season, but faded hugely in the last month or so. Not taking anything away from him, as i love him and rate him hugely. Obviously with Albrighton that fade was a bit earlier, but it's a trend in young players (especially in their first full season).

Weimman faded, albrighton was found out.

Massive difference.

Weimman faded, albrighton was found out.

Massive difference.

Beckham was a one trick pony who made a hugely successful career out of it. :D

I think the 'finding out' could also be down to burnout. When you fade, you become less expansive. Same happened with Andi. As he became more tired, things didn't come off for him and defenders found him easier to deal with, which was a far cry to earlier in the season. I think he'll get 1 more year. He won't be on huge wages and he can definitely offer something. If he doesn't get game time, then Lambert obviously doesn't rate him and if he does, but doesn't impress then he should be shipped out.

If there is a chance we can get him back to the form of his debut season then I think he should get some match time..... but not actually sure he would get that match time.

There is a difference from someone showing what they are capable of and then getting lost in injury and doubt, and someone who has never shown their potential.

When he was briefly fit last season there were signs that Lambert rated him enough to give hin a chance.

a loan to the championship would be the best move, see if he can run AND cross again,

Edited by VillanousOne

Â