Scottish Independence

maqroll

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The timing just seems really irresponsible under the circumstances.

Really irresponsible? Blimey, I wonder how you'll be phrasing it when/if (a section of) NI politicians properly push for a fresh look at Irish reunification.

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The timing just seems really irresponsible under the circumstances.  Surely they have a duty having voted to stay in the UK to stick it out at least until Brexit has been completed. 

Irresponsible to whom? Their whole point is that they want no part of the dimwittedness that is happening in Westminster. 

If British political direction is going to be shaped by a coalition of the racist, the gullible and the ignorant then why would they feel any loyalty towards hanging around for that?

Best of luck to the wee radges.

• Like 2

The thing I'm most frustrated about is how far away the vote is. Another 2 years of this.

I wish that I could just hibernate for 5, ok, 10...Maybe 20 years until all of this Brexit stuff has wrapped up.

• Like 1

It's the same with the EU referendum, people may have voted based on x or y that turned out to be utter horseshite, but unfortunately it was a binary question on the ballot paper.  I'm a remainer but accept the result, it's tough tits on my part.  Again how can Sturgeon even guarantee anything for the Scotch.  I would have more sympathy with an Irish referendum due to the border issue and the fact they haven't had a vote just two years ago to stay in the UK.

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Should I and the rest of us tht didn't vote out?

No you shouldn’t.

Your reasons for voting remain, the belief that it was the best thing for the country shouldn’t change just because others felt differently. Your reasons and beliefs are just as valid now as they were before the vote unless something has convinced you that you were wrong of course. If not then feel free to express your opinion as to why we should remain and challenge those with an opposing opinion.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people are annoyed about it.

They had a vote based on a specific set of circumstances. These circumstances have been changed against their will and they're in danger of having these circumstances, that they never wanted, forced onto them.

• Like 3

I know manifesto pledges and promises don't mean shit but this is the wording in the SNP's 2016 manifesto (p.25):

We will achieve independence only when a majority of our fellow citizens are persuaded that it offers the best future for our country. Our success will depend on the strength of our arguments and the clarity of our vision.

We believe that the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is clear and sustained evidence that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people – or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Sturgeon won't stop until they are independent, so just get it over with. Let them go it alone and be done with it. At least that way she'll stop having influence in Westminster and we can all get on with sorting our own shit out without her blabbing every 5 minutes about Scotland.

Sod Scotland, the interesting one is Catalunya.

if their referendum goes ahead it gives Spain a hell of a headache, especially as they might run it without a blessing from Madrid.
And for the EU, well it's far more pressing than Scotland and the fall out will no doubt create some new ground for Scotland to either leap onto or off.

51 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't understand why people are annoyed about it.

They had a vote based on a specific set of circumstances. These circumstances have been changed against their will and they're in danger of having these circumstances, that they never wanted, forced onto them.

As we used to say. "this". 

It's good that they are doing the vote in 2 years too. So they will actually be able to vote on an actual plan. Personally I think that when the negotiations have taken place to leave the EU, we should have another vote. No one has a **** clue what they've actually voted for here. 

Edited by PieFacE

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

I'm pretty sure that one of the constant refrains in the Scottish Independence vote was that the result of voting to leave the UK would be Scotland leaving the EU (and that the papers the SNP produced on this not being the case weren't worth much). I don't know how important that was in deciding the minds of the electorate in Scotland but I wouldn't have thought it was insignificant.

To compare the decision Scotland made in its independence referendum and the result of the EU vote within Scottish constituencies with your personal 'happiness' is of no use to the discussion. To frame it in such a way is, frankly, rather missing the whole point - as the second paragraph in your post clearly indicates.

It's not just "my" personal happiness as I explained that's very bizarre thing to say considering I stated that the in voters was also who I was referring to.

Interesting that you completely ignored the point where I said

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

InStead of moaning (as that's what they really doing) why not try help the UK as whole work together to get us through this tough period?

They moaned before we left the EU and they lost their vote. This is just another excuse for her to trigger Scotland leaving the UK.  I couldn't care less about them if they want to abandon the Uk

They only care about themselves and not the UK that's why I don't care about Scotland. If they were never part of the UK they may never have had the benefits in the EU.

The UK already has its own problems dealing with the exit. The timing at this announcement does not suprise me. But don't tell me to start shedding tears if they leave.

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Imagine that, the First Minister of Scotland going on about Scotland a lot, what a word removed.

Difference is one talks about Scotland only while the other talks about the UK as a whole not as a seperate entity 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Â