Scottish Independence

maqroll

Good luck to them, I'm almost pissed off on their behalf that one of the big arguments for them staying the first time around was it'd be hard to leave the UK but stay in the EU, only for us to drag them out of it against their will shortly after.

I'm not much of a fan of offal, shortbread or heroin, or I'd head up there.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I know it's a rather flippant comment but it's an attitude like this from people south of the border that gets the backs of the Scots up.

And the same can be the same for the south that we are fed up of their moaning 

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Good luck to them, I'm almost pissed off on their behalf that one of the big arguments for them staying the first time around was it'd be hard to leave the UK but stay in the EU, only for us to drag them out of it against their will shortly after.

I thought the will of the people was verboten  ?

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Fair play to them. I'm sure they will vote to leave the UK and remain in the EU. I'm jealous of them really. 

The problem is will Eu members allow this to happen.  I think their might be some objection

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And the same can be the same for the south that we are fed up of their moaning 

They should just shut up and go along with things that they don't think are in their best interests?

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The problem is will Eu members allow this to happen.  I think their might be some objection

I doubt it but as we've been told endlessly in the EU thread the situation may well look very different in 18/24 months' time. Perhaps the EU will be glad of any potential new members such that they'd rewrite their rules (I'm sure they're not averse to changing things when it suits them)?

Just now, snowychap said:

Calling genuine political concerns 'moaning' is just more of what you wrote previously, Dem.

Snowy I voted in. Am I happy that we are leaving? No I am not and so is alot of the country that voted no. What can I do? Decision made.  Stead of moaning (as that's what they really doing) why not try help the UK as whole work together to get us through this tough period?

They moaned before we left the EU and they lost their vote. This is just another excuse for her to trigger Scotland leaving the UK.  I couldn't care less about them if they want to abandon the Uk

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I doubt it but as we've been told endlessly in the EU thread the situation may well look very different in 18/24 months' time. Perhaps the EU will be glad of any potential new members such that they'd rewrite their rules (I'm sure they're not averse to changing things when it suits them)?

A valid point that I agree with Snowy.  This could happen as we hve to wait and see if this weakens or strengthens the EU.  Be interesting to seensure once Greece default on their repayments (they will it's only a matter of time) whether they fancy leaving as well

The timing just seems really irresponsible under the circumstances.  Surely they have a duty having voted to stay in the UK to stick it out at least until Brexit has been completed.  It's not as if they'll be able to give the people of Scotland any guarantees either.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Should I and the rest of us tht didn't vote out?

Nobody should ever stop arguing their case just because a vote has occured or a decision has been made, IMO. Democracy is an ongoing process, it doesn't just stop when it's convenient for the majority. That's why we have general elections every few years and didn't just stop after the first one.

I think labelling people as 'moaners' because they continue to argue their case, even if they're a minority, is fairly anti-democratic.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

saw something just now about writing their continued membership into the Brexit negotiations  ...can't see it myself , but I guess it's an option

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Snowy I voted in. Am I happy that we are leaving? No I am not and so is alot of the country that voted no. What can I do? Decision made.  Stead of moaning (as that's what they really doing) why not try help the UK as whole work together to get us through this tough period?

They moaned before we left the EU and they lost their vote. This is just another excuse for her to trigger Scotland leaving the UK.  I couldn't care less about them if they want to abandon the Uk

I'm pretty sure that one of the constant refrains in the Scottish Independence vote was that the result of voting to leave the UK would be Scotland leaving the EU (and that the papers the SNP produced on this not being the case weren't worth much). I don't know how important that was in deciding the minds of the electorate in Scotland but I wouldn't have thought it was insignificant.

To compare the decision Scotland made in its independence referendum and the result of the EU vote within Scottish constituencies with your personal 'happiness' is of no use to the discussion. To frame it in such a way is, frankly, rather missing the whole point - as the second paragraph in your post clearly indicates.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nobody should ever stop arguing their case just because a vote has occured or a decision has been made, IMO. Democracy is an ongoing process, it doesn't just stop when it's convenient for the majority. That's why we have general elections every few years and didn't just stop after the first one.

I think labelling people as 'moaners' because they continue to argue their case, even if they're a minority, is fairly anti-democratic.

thing is had they won first time around , say 52% to 48%  ..would they be giving the 48% a second referendum or would they have said Jockxit means Jockxit  and that's your lot ?

just seems people want to re run every bloody vote these days until they get the result they want  ... Unless my lifetime is about to be cut drastically short I thought there wasn't going to be a second indie vote during mine 

Democracy may be an on going process but sometimes you can't help but feel it isn't for the people , just vested interests of a few

Â