Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

By far and away the most complete defender we have. He has the intelligence to step in front of strikers and intercept and he rarely makes defensive errors. If he leaves in the summer it will be a crime and will show how stupid Eck is. If Collins replaces him against Newcastle it will be a disgrace but wouldn't put it past the muppets in charge of our club.

Really good performance tonight, particularly the interceptions and distribution. The only thing I can think to counter that with is that we weren't under much pressure for most of the game. Still the only defender I wish to be offered an extension on their contract though.

Its laughable to say that Grant and Mcleish were telling Carlos to hoof it, I'd go as far to say it isn't a directive of Mcleish to hoof, it's just we more often than not have midfielders who don't want the ball and defenders who aren't confident with it, Last night with the wind in our sails everyone wanted the ball, Dunne played some very decent pinpoint cross field balls and him and carlos were camped on the half way line. thats how we should be every home game.

I think if Eck picks Collins ahead of Cuellar then I will ask Faulkner to install an updated copy of Champ Manager and request to manage our real team via that game.

becuase Eck isn't looking at stats and current form.

the most impressive thing about Carlos last night was his concentration levels. He never let Cisse get anything on the break in the second half at all, especially when we were short numbers and they had opportunity.

we have seen our defense fall asleep at times and while not necessarily resulting in a goal, the opposition was able to regroup and release pressure. Not last night. Carlos cut out every outlet ball and put it back to the feet of the midfield.

Was awful today along with the rest of the defence. Dived in and got no where near the ball. Gave his man too much space as well. Whole defence need to go

?

i was watching with a few people and each one of us agreed carlos was by far the best defender again

he kicked it long 3 or 4 times in the entire game, each time the ball had been played lazily back, he had come out to the right to cover for hutton and had little choice being closed down but to leather it.

apart from those hoofs which were more forced hoofs than your collins random hoof for the fun of it, carlos brought the ball down and also brought it out of defence and again used the midfield to distribute the ball further

even if clark was the one who recieved the ball half the time and all he did was pass it straight back to who ever passed it to him in the first place.

its amazing how people see the same game and the same player but see things so differently?

doesnt make you right or wrong ( or me)

for me his recent performances have been the one steady and reliable thing in the back 4, dunne looks more solid, it also makes hutton look slightly less shit ( only slightly mind)

I still cant believe the one football playing defender we do have it going to be the one who is off on a free come summer time yet collins, hutton and warnockk unless we find someone stupid enough to take them, will still be here.

cuellar would be the first defenders name on my team sheet at the moment

Was surprised at the reactions to Cuellar's performance in the match forum. I thought he was once again the best of our back line despite not having a game to write home about. Dunne, at fault for both goals, seemed to be picking up less flak.

The one time Cuellar 'dived in and got nowhere near the ball' was when Hutton handed over possession too easily and Cuellar had to come bombing out of position to make a challenge. Missing it was poor, but it allowed Hutton time to recover and make a challenge of his own.

Other than that he got a lot of good blocks and interceptions in, aside from failing to head out a couple of crosses which luckily came to nothing.

Thought he did brilliant for playing a position he's never played and oddly enough, he's the defender that looks most comfortable with the ball.

He could have done better to prevent Barry from the header back across on their goal, but it was a good corner in his defense.

With Dunne out for 2 months and he and Collins currently our only fit central defenders I would suggest the club wants to be doing everything in its power to make Carlos feel loved.

Carlos is a good defender, but he tends to do silly mistakes in every game. Lescott's goal was mainly his error, but with two silly sheeps who ran away from Lescott to cover Carlos, they can share a blame too. second silly mistake was an easy ball lost in the first half only to mancity spurned following silver chance.

Â