Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

One of the most pleasing aspects of our recent resurgence has been King Carlos' return to the team. I thought he was excellent today. Shades of Martin Laursen's famous run from defence in the second half. Who ever thought he had that in him? :lol:

And as for that tackle on Drogba that he was booked for? Joke of a decision :shock:

I hope Hutton doesnt get back in the team as I would rather have Collins, Dunne and Cuellar than that walking calamity.

Been under used big time in the last 18 months. He was a big reason we had such an excellent defensive record in 2009/2010. Hopefully his return to the team hasn't come to late and his mind isn't already made up to leave.

I'd imagine there will be a few clubs sniffing around him in January. One most definitely. The way things are I'd imagine a bid of around 1 mill will sadly see him depart in the next few weeks.

Lets hope he is fit enough for the game on Monday. I'd hate for mediocre/calamitous Hutton to claim that spot back for good with a decent performance against Swansea. For the sake of the team and results, we're better off with Cuellar there this season.

Cuellar----Collins-----dunne----warnock

This was the 4th best defence in the premier league during MoN's last season with us.

Houllier **** it up, let's hope Mcleish starts getting the defence back to its best now

This isn't 2009. Warnock and Collins are pretty crap. Cuellar is quality (always has been) and Dunne can be a beast. We need a better centre back to partner Dunne and we definitely need a new left back. It's not just under the great satan Houllier that Collins and Warnock have been crap under.

Also, why do you have to bring up Houllier with every post?

Cuellar----Collins-----dunne----warnock

This was the 4th best defence in the premier league during MoN's last season with us.

Houllier **** it up, let's hope Mcleish starts getting the defence back to its best now

After 19 games last season we'd conceded 34 goals. This season its down to 24. Now thats not great but it shows that McLeish may slowly be getting it right.

7 goals conceded in last 6 games against Man Utd, Bolton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Stoke and Chelsea is way better than many expected.

From Twitter

Carlos : Hi @juanmata10 Hope u've all ready for New Year's Eve.It's going to give me much grief embitter ur night ahaha ;-) U must to be ready crack!

Mata: Hi @cuellar24!! It's a shame you have to go home tired and angry on New Year's Eve...;-). Be ready!! #Chelsea#AstonVilla

Carlos : @juanmata10 I'll return tired because I wont stop running celebrating #AstonVillaGoals and angry cos after the match u wont give me ur shirt

Carlos was never in doubt :D

I'd give him a new contract if for no other reason than we could not buy a better player for the money we could get for him. I have had my doubts about him but you cannot fault his commitment and drive. Added to that Hutton is just an accident waiting to happen.

Ideally I would flog Collins but I'd rather have CC at right back than Hutton. I agree with Mark's observation above that we are recreating that defence of a couple of seasons ago which has to be a good thing.

BTW I think Warnock is doing a great job at left back. One in the eye for the boo boys on that.

Â